Pittsburgh Streetcars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pittsburgh Streetcars

Several weeks ago the posting on Pittsburgh inclines was enjoyed by some people familiar with the city or with inclines in other locations. Here are photos of Pittsburgh streetcars taken in various parts ot the area.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_XqZ...ature=youtu.be
    "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

A white '63 Lark can be seen on stage right at 4:35 near the end. I had forgotten they were still running in to the mid sixties. They traveled well in to neighboring counties. I grew up in Washington, PA and would ride them to the swimming pool in the city park. We would also, on rare occasions, ride from Washington all the way to Kennywood Park along the Mon River. In Washington in the fall, frat pledges from W & J College could be seen cleaning the tracks with toothbrushes. The last of the tracks in Washington were torn up before I graduated from high school. There's quite a trolley museum near the Washington County Fairgrounds. http://www.pa-trolley.org/
    "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Thanks for the memories Bob. That PGH Streetcar youtube clip is super! I grew up in the 'burgh. I lived in Oakland near the Pitt Campus. I rode the old wooden (orange) streetcars in the 50's and the red & white streamlined ones on the 60's. I hated the tracks in the streets and the passenger islands in the streets when I was a teenager just learning to drive. Looking back, now I appreciate riding the streetcars all over. Thanks again for the trip down memory-lane. ..... Harv
      StudeBakerHarv
      * 1950 Champion Starlight Coupe (Cathcart Stg 4 Engine)
      * 1971 Avanti II (RQB-1659).

Comment

Working...
      X