Well, now I HAVE seen everything....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, now I HAVE seen everything....

'Went to retrieve an ordered carry-out pizza this evening and noticed a seldom-seen car coming toward me as I returned home: A Chevette! Now you don't see too many Chevettes around here in the midwest anymore...or at least not operating.

As it got closer, I could see it was bone stock and in beautiful condition; a pretty, solid red 1979 2-door.

And as it passed by going the other way, I looked in my rear-view mirror and saw that it was wearing an Indiana Historic Vehicle license plate.

Conclusion: Now I've seen everything. BP

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

I concluded the same thing about a year and a half ago when I saw a 1984 Pontiac version (Acadian) registered as an 'Antique Auto'; and a four door yet! Like most other vehicles from the 1975 to roughly mid-1980's, I've never had any urge to take any photos of it.

Craig

Comment

What really bothered me was eeing a Honda Civic with collector plates on it here in Wisconsin.

Comment

Gee, I guess we're all getting old :-)
        John Clements
        Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Bob, don't you know.........the Chevette is the next big thing in the collector car market! Can't you just see it -- "Chevette sells at Pebble Beach Auction for $100K".
          Paul
          Winston-Salem, NC
          Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
          Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Originally posted by r1lark View Post
            Bob, don't you know.........the Chevette is the next big thing in the collector car market! Can't you just see it -- "Chevette sells at Pebble Beach Auction for $100K".
            Now that you mention it, Paul, no, I can't see it! BP

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Now Bob that's really an interesting observation. All you need to do now is see a Yugo go by and see it also has an Indiana Historic Tag. -
              sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Originally posted by Avantidon View Post
                Now Bob that's really an interesting observation. All you need to do now is see a Yugo go by and see it also has an Indiana Historic Tag. -
                It would be HISTORIC to just see a Yugo GO BY. hahahaha

Comment

Saw a Yugo in Austin, that was being sold in a yard sale. It was being used as a planter!

Comment

I know where a '82 Chevette diesel is sitting.So far I have resisted the temptation to buy it.
                    Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

Phoenix 2015: one shows up at Barrett-Jackson.

When it fails to reach $20,000 a sweaty and dissipated-looking Craig Jackson lifts himself out of his chair to interrupt the auctioneer's drone...
                      "This is a fantastic buy...it's worth a lot more than that."

Talk about "must see TV'.
                      Last edited by JBOYLE; 09-24-2012, 10:27 AM.
                      63 Avanti R1 2788
                      1914 Stutz Bearcat
                      (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

I don't think Chevettes were too bad. My first girlfriend had one, so I have some good memories of them! Just the nature of that kind of car meant they were used to death and not usually taken well care of after a few years. I suppose that's why their survival rate almost anywhere is so low. I've seen a couple in Oregon in the last year or so, and they were not in exceptional shape.
                        "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

That's funny -- I was thinking the other day it's been forever since I've seen an old Chevy Luv on the road. They were everywhere back when Chevettes were common...
                          sigpic

1950 Commander Starlight Coupe
                          Regal Deluxe Trim
                          Automatic transmission
                          46k original miles, 4th Owner

Comment

Lets don't forget the other Chevy built around the same time as the Chevettes, the Citation was a real flop. I know because I bought one brand new and took it back one week later and traded for a Monte Carlo.

Comment

The Citations were a blot on the landscape from day one. I'm soooo glad I don't see them anymore. Lets hope there's only one left and it's in a warehouse under a tarp somewhere dark.
                              "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Working...
                              X