Orphan of the Day, 12-22, 1979 Pegaso

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orphan of the Day, 12-22, 1979 Pegaso

An abortive attempt to revive the legendary 1950's sports car from Spain.

Craig
    Last edited by 8E45E; 12-21-2011, 07:54 PM.

I wonder if the designer slept well after he added the bumpers ????
    Klif
    55 Speedster/Street Machine
    63 Avanti R2
    64 Convertible R1

Comment

Originally posted by klifton1 View Post
      I wonder if the designer slept well after he added the bumpers ????
      I bet he didn't; along with most of the other car designers back in the '70's. It is from the era when those 5-mph bumpers stuck out like afterthoughts, and no car was exempt from that if they wanted to sell in the U.S. and Canadian market.

Craig

Comment

Thanks for posting the Pegaso pictures.

I enjoyed the sophistication of the '50s Pegasos and hadn't seen photos of the '79 in quite a while.

Interesting to think, the '79 is closer in time to the '50s Pegaso than to today. As one old sage said, "The future comes quick".

Comment

Looks a lot like a Lotus to me. Love it.

Comment

Love child of a XJS and a Countach.
            Those low profile tires were unheard of on a production car in '79. They'd have cost a fortune to replace back then.
            Andy
            62 GT

Comment

Some cars are so obscure that the term "orphan" doesn't do it justice. Perhaps "Waif" would be a more appropriate description.

Of course, "obscure to me," is no indication that others were not familiar with it. People, who are as "self-absorbed" as I am, often fail to notice things that don't exactly get in their way!
              John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Pegaso is not quite an orphan yet.

In addition to the handful of high performance 1950s sports cars, Pegaso built tens of thousands of heavy trucks and military vehicles well into the 1990s.

As of today, there are still Pegaso motorcycles in production.

Comment

Pegaso ran the auto project much as Bristol ran theirs, as a place for apprentices to hone their skills. Yes, they are still big in commercial vehicles. But the Pegaso motorcycle is one model of Aprilia, owned by Piaggio, in Italy.

It's "Pegasus," the flying horse. You're bound to run into it here and there all over -- like on a Mobil sign, for instance.

Comment

The front reminds me of an enlarged 3rd generation Saab Sonnet. What kind of power plant did that car use?
                    Joe Roberts
                    '61 R1 Champ
                    '65 Cruiser
                    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Working...
                    X