Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orphan of the Day, 11-10, 1946 Hudson Super Six

Craig

'Hard to believe that's the cheaper of their two lines, eh? Elegant car indeed. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
      'Hard to believe that's the cheaper of their two lines, eh? Elegant car indeed. BP

Craig

Comment

Good grief! All that beauty and elegance and my eyes immediately gravitate to those blasted ugly turn signals added under the headlights. Kinda like a zit on a beauty queen's nose.

How much imagination and effort would it take to change the bulb socket in those upper fender spears to a double element and use that for the turn signals? Unless they were on...it would be outta sight and not distract from the great clean period look of that wonderful car.
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

A 46 Super Six was extracted a couple years ago from a chicken coop in Kensington village, where it had resided hidden and forgotten since 1957, over 50 years (widow didn't drive, and became lifelong slightly batty afterwards . All the seating was completely toast from mice, as was most of the wiring, BUT after some extensive flushing and prepping, that Hudson was made roadable. Tough components. More parking damage over 11 years to panels than 60 some years of rust, believe it or not. No-one had ever checked the coop before the ancient lady died because they couldn't get the doors open. It was literally an inch or two bigger in length and width than the Hudson! Lots of speculation about how it was manhandled into the coop!

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
            Here is some more elegance! Not too far from South Bend. Hope to visit both Shipshewana and South Bend next summer.

http://www.hostetlershudsons.com/showroom.html FYI
            "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

Did a major double take on one of those front ends once; it was sitting in a used lot off the highway.
              Turned around and drove back because I though I'd glimpsed a '42 Studebaker.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Bryant View Post
                Here is some more elegance! Not too far from South Bend. Hope to visit both Shipshewana and South Bend next summer.

http://www.hostetlershudsons.com/showroom.html FYI
                Yes; it is well worth the short trip east from South Bend to see the Hudson Hostetler Museum. It's not as big and/or fancy as The Studebaker National Museum, but does have some interesting cars, nicely displayed. BP
                We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

The Hostetler Hudson Museum in Shipshewana, Indiana is all on one floor, well lit and open. Shipshewana is an interesting Amish and Mennonite community. Mr Hostetler was Amish. We recommend the 5&20 Restaurant, where the locals eat, just south of the museum at the intersection of highways 5 and 20. Simple Amish food at reasonable prices.

The RV Museum in Elkhart, Indiana, north of Shipshewana, is also very nice. The Hostetler and RV Museums are both easy half day visits.

Another very good museum not too far away is the Gilmore Museum in Hickory Corners, Michigan. The Gilmore takes a whole day. Lots to see there.

Comment

Here is a story and I hope you don't mind. I am looking at a 1905 calendar from the Freeby-Bryant Hardware Store in downtown Shipshewana. Included in their line were buggies and carriages. It was owned by my uncle and fraternal grandfather. Another uncle had a restaurant at one time. Mother graduated from SHS in 1922 after learning to speak English when she started grade school. Her dad dealt in furs and hides and at one time owned the ice house in nearby Sturgis, MI when everyone used ice. My cousin still lives at Shipshewana Lake and once when I maybe four or five I recall being with my dad and watching the men harvesting ice from the lake with horses, etc.

When my parents married they lived in Elkhart. My uncles's wife worked for Pratt Furniture. The company evolved into making Pratt autos and later it became Elcar. William S. Locke has a small collection and I think it is in nearby Bristol and shown by appointment. I have a copy of the B of D's action making my aunt, Cashier of the company. Locke's book is excellent and I see on the internet some Elcar enthusiasts in Finland were trying to locate Locke after reading his book. http://cruise-in.com/resource/cisbk13.htm Bits and pieces of this trivia were posted some time ago.
                    "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

My Grandfather won a '39 Hudson at the Keokuk Street Fair in IA. Cost him a whole quarter. After the war, he traded it in on one of these, '46 or '47. Dunno whether you could say that model was ahead of its time but there where no dash switches to pull. (Notice 2 under the dash for the heater.) Although the radio had knobs, the only other 2 controls were push buttons, “S” and “L”. “S” was the starter.

As I recall, when you pressed the “L” switch one time, all the lights except the headlights came on. And I mean ALL the lights. Those little triangles on the sides of the hood are lights, the middle ornament on the top of the grille is a light, the hood ornament it a light and of course the parking lights. Press it a second time, the headlights came on. Press it again, everything went off

The radio was indented, theoretically for safety. Although I'm not so sure how much that little half inch would make in an accident. Different though.

And the little rectangles on the glove box door on either side of the clock--first use (I think) of idiot lights, which is the reason for the after-market guages under the dash. I guess those lights gave the passenger something on which to comment. "Wow! Christmas lights every time you turn the key on!"

John
                      Last edited by Johnnywiffer; 11-14-2011, 03:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X