1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
    1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
    1914 Ford Model T

Comment

Nice wheel covers!
      Andy
      62 GT

Comment

You think THAT is a "Checker"? No, my friends, THIS is a "Checker"...

I didn't get to see this vehicle in operation, but it was located in a high mountain valley in Colorado. It was a mountaineer's "grocery getter"!

Also, sort of a "Sand Car", Mark II.
        Last edited by Lothar; 06-04-2011, 10:48 PM. Reason: To reduce doubts about whether I'm literate.
        John
        1950 Champion
        W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
        Holdrege NE

Comment

Nice wheel covers!

did you ever notice too that the V-8 emblem they used was the same as one used by Studebaker?
          59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
          60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
          61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
          62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
          62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
          62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
          63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
          63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
          64 Zip Van
          66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
          66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
            The LAST Checker....Craig
            Craig: Is that actually the very last car they built, or just an example of the last model year in which they produced cars?
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
              Craig: Is that actually the very last car they built, or just an example of the last model year in which they produced cars?
              According to the Gilmore Museum and The Kalamazoo Automobilist by David O. Lyon, this is indeed the last Checker built.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                According to the Gilmore Museum and The Kalamazoo Automobilist by David O. Lyon, this is indeed the last Checker built. Craig
                'Way cool; thanks. BP

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Hi

"Cracker Box, Checker Box" we used to holler when I was kid and happened to see one, which was rare in my small town.

I only every had a couple of rides in Checkers: a 7-passenger taxi in Denver and an Aerobus while on a geology field trip in college. Both had been very well used, sounded like riding in an oil drum being beat on with ballpeen hammers. Both rode HARD, especially the Aerobus, like the truck chassis it basically was. A hundred mile round trip in that wreck was enough to send even a young guy to the chiropractor!

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by 56H-Y6 View Post
                    Hi

"Cracker Box, Checker Box" I only every had a couple of rides in Checkers: a 7-passenger taxi in Denver and an Aerobus while on a geology field trip in college. Both had been very well used, sounded like riding in an oil drum being beat on with ballpeen hammers. Both rode HARD, especially the Aerobus, like the truck chassis it basically was. A hundred mile round trip in that wreck was enough to send even a young guy to the chiropractor!

Steve
                    Maybe the Checkers you rode in just needed the right mechanic....

Jon Stalnaker
                    Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

"Ibee Da!"
                      1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." -Albert Einstein

Comment

The least Checker could have done (to compliment the pre-1964 Studebaker wheelcovers) for the last car built, is put whitewall tires on it!
                        Just fantasizing here....but imagine if Checker had purchased the Dodge/Champ pickup bed tooling from Studebaker. Chop the car body off behind the front doors and add the bed and you'd have a Checker Champ! (Not to be confused with someone that won a game of checkers)
                        sigpic
                        In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Checker built that same basic body for many years. When I was in basic training at Fort Dix in NJ, in 1960, they had civilian driven Checkers on the post. When someone needed to travel to another part of the base, he could get into a Checker Cab and for 25 cents, he could ride to his destination. I know, because I did it a number of times when I was off for the weekend.
                          Rog
                          '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                          Smithtown,NY
                          Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

The Traveling Public liked riding in these things because they have (had) tremendous leg room in the back seat area (sorta like riding in a limousine) and they're easier getting in and out of than today's Ford Crown Vic or (if any left) Chevrolet Caprice. The Checker was certainly a unique automoblie with a nitch in the marketplace that held on for years and years (as you all know). When Checker needed to conform to the
                            five mile per hour bumper what did they do? Well, that guard rail steel is a clue. Bless the Checker's and their dogs named Checkers.
                            JimsLeadCommander

Comment

Working...
                            X