Orphan of the Day, 02-17, 1911 Marmon Wasp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orphan of the Day, 02-17, 1911 Marmon Wasp

Well, its 100 years old!. The very first Indianapolis 500 winner is discussed in the other thread.

Craig

Cool car.

Terry

Comment

Great car to post Craig! I thought I recognized that name when I saw it, now I know why
      Dylan Wills
      Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
      1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
      1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
      1914 Ford Model T

Comment

Great picture. Thanks for posting it. Hey Jeff, isn't that just about Coupe Express Yellow?
        Joe Roberts
        '61 R1 Champ
        '65 Cruiser
        Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Marmons were very large cars, this one has an I-6 with a displacement of 600 ci - 9.8 liters - 9832 cc

http://www.conceptcarz.com/vehicle/d...arID=15427&i=2
          101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Wow.

600 cubic inches and three exhaust outlets = 100 cubic inches of exhaust discharge coming out each dump on the side of that race car with every revolution of the crankshaft (one cylinder of each pair will be discharging on the exhaust stroke while the other cylinder, in effect, is on the compression stroke).

Geeze, how did Ray Harroun have any ear drums left at the end of the race? BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
            "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

In trying to find out how much horsepower this thing had, I came across this article,

http://www.canadiandriver.com/2010/0...apolis-500.htm

which says that the 1911 Indy 500 winning Marmon had a 477 inch six cylinder with 110 horsepower.

I personally have no idea, as 1911 is a few years before even my time. . . .

Comment

Here is a shot of the engine.

Sure looks a lot like an American LaFrance engine.
                101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Working...
                X