Fun Dodge Comparison: 1970 vs 2010 Challenger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fun Dodge Comparison: 1970 vs 2010 Challenger

I wish we could compare a 1964 R3 Studebaker Challenger with a 2010 R28 (or whatever series R-engine we'd be up to by now) Studebaker Challenger, but we can't.

This is almost as much fun:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvnRm...1&feature=fvwp
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Kinda an oranges to oranges comparison, the 70 had a LOT of suspension/brake mods, if it were stock, it wouldn't hold a candle to the new SRT-8. (But I'd still take the 70!!!)

Comment

I owned a 1970 Challenger R/T. I have no interest in owning a 2010 Challenger.
      Last edited by studegary; 12-01-2010, 02:26 PM. Reason: spelling
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by 64 Challenger View Post
        Kinda an oranges to oranges comparison, the 70 had a LOT of suspension/brake mods, if it were stock, it wouldn't hold a candle to the new SRT-8. (But I'd still take the 70!!!)
        Jay Leno made a similar comparison some time back between his stock '70 and his new one. He much preferred the new one (I can't find the video).
        Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
        '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Originally posted by 53k View Post
          Jay Leno made a similar comparison some time back between his stock '70 and his new one. He much preferred the new one (I can't find the video).
          It's a tough call as to which one a person would want, if you could only own one.

To live with every day, day in and day out under all climate and driving conditions? The new one, of course, even though it has little soul.

To own as a collector car and drive to cruise nights on summer evenings, or for a buzz out in the country to unwind with a truly sensory experience? The old one, of course.

(I noted at the very end, where the driver says MoPar means "Mo" power, "Mo" attitude, and...."Mo" rattles? As the owner of a 1971 e-body MoPar, I can attest to the rattles being as much a part of the car as is the differential! <GGG>)
          Last edited by BobPalma; 11-30-2010, 08:42 PM.
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
          "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Not exactly a comparison of "as built" cars since the older car got many upgrades based on current technology. Neat cars, though. But, for a comparison to satisfy Bob Palma along the same lines, how about looking at the La Carrera Panamerica cars, where race-prepared '53/'54 Studebakers finished 1, 2, 6, 9, etc. in the 2009 race, taking 8 of the top 28 places. Studebakers have won 16 times since 1993, including 2010.
            See http://lacarrerapanamericana.com.mx/resultados_09.asp

With attention to engine and handling, even the old Studebaker chassis and suspension can perform very well, as well as the engines. Are these like street cars that the Studebaker factory sold - no way! But, neither was that T/A Dodge.

I'd like to see a comparison of the current Mustang vs one or more of the 1965-70 Mustangs with all in factory-original condition (special options permitted). My $2 bet is on the modern Mustang being faster, better handling, and a lot more comfortable to drive. I love both versions, but time has brought many improvements in handling, comfort, safety - and power. But, if you want the 2010 version of the Studebaker, you have to build it yourself. Have fun!
            Gary Ash
            Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
            ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
            '48 M5
            '65 Wagonaire Commander
            '63 Wagonaire Standard
            web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

Great video for us Mopar fans ....

If I were in the market for the new Challenger the first thing I'd do is take it to a suspension shop for some mods, the factory suspension is the same as the Chrysler 300 sedan and is too soft.

My favorite line in the video near the end is ..... Now I know what the MO in MOPAR stands for ..... "MO Power, MO attitude, MO rattles but MO fun !!!!!
              sigpic
              John
              63R-2386
              Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

Originally posted by garyash View Post
                Not exactly a comparison of "as built" cars since the older car got many upgrades based on current technology. Neat cars, though. But, for a comparison to satisfy Bob Palma along the same lines, how about looking at the La Carrera Panamerica cars, where race-prepared '53/'54 Studebakers finished 1, 2, 6, 9, etc. in the 2009 race, taking 8 of the top 28 places. Studebakers have won 16 times since 1993, including 2010.
                See http://lacarrerapanamericana.com.mx/resultados_09.asp

With attention to engine and handling, even the old Studebaker chassis and suspension can perform very well, as well as the engines. Are these like street cars that the Studebaker factory sold - no way! But, neither was that T/A Dodge.

I'd like to see a comparison of the current Mustang vs one or more of the 1965-70 Mustangs with all in factory-original condition (special options permitted). My $2 bet is on the modern Mustang being faster, better handling, and a lot more comfortable to drive. I love both versions, but time has brought many improvements in handling, comfort, safety - and power. But, if you want the 2010 version of the Studebaker, you have to build it yourself. Have fun!
                Good points, Gary...and I'll bet you $2 that one of the umpteen Mustang magazines in the marketplace has made the very comparison you suggest! <GGG>

(Hey, we haven't had an update on the race car progress for a couple weeks, have we?) BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

The latest video on Jay's website talks about the special Petty edition Challenger. At the bottom of the page is a link to his other videos on new Challengers.

http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/
                  63 Avanti R1 2788
                  1914 Stutz Bearcat
                  (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

I do love the Challenger. In fact, I love all three Big 3 hot rods, and intend to own one of them. I couldn't decide between Mustang, Camaro, or Challenger, until saw the new Camaro in Synergy Green. If they produce a convertible SS in Synergy Green, I may well break my personal pledge to never buy a brand new car

Of course, my ultimate dream would be to rebuild my car collection to include, among the Studes and other Classics, one of each of the modern Big 3s

Last edited by Bob Andrews; 12-01-2010, 04:22 AM.
                    Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth—let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                    Romans 15:13
                    Deuteronomy 31:6
                    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Bob, that's my choice of Camaro colors too! I was just admiring one when I drove past Serpentini Chevy in nearby Tallmadge the other day.
                      Bill Pressler
                      Kent, OH
                      (formerly Greenville, PA)
                      Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                      Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                      1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                      1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                      All are in Australia now

Comment

You bet, Bill. Only problem with the one I saw was black cloth interior <YAWN> I'd have to have the seats redone in cream leather

In another year I'll be able to buy one, and we shall see...
                        Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth—let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
                          Only problem with the one I saw was black cloth interior <YAWN> I'd have to have the seats redone in cream leather
                          With good taste like that, I MIGHT be able to forgive your color choice.... (BTW: change the hood stripes to match the new interior).

Really, I'm not a huge fan of the new Camaro (just not a GM guy) but they're growing on me.
                          And for interiors, I agree, get the seats and door panels redone at a good shop, it's not that expensive if it's a "dream car" you want to own forever.
                          I was looking at a new Shelby at the local Ford deler, I'd drop it off at the upholstry shop on my way home....come on Detroit, give us somthing other than black and grey.
                          63 Avanti R1 2788
                          1914 Stutz Bearcat
                          (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
                            You bet, Bill. Only problem with the one I saw was black cloth interior <YAWN> I'd have to have the seats redone in cream leather

In another year I'll be able to buy one, and we shall see...
                            Take my advice and SPECIAL ORDER it if genuiine 'cream leather' is not on the option list. It will cost more from the factory, perhaps, but if you KEEP all the documentation that you ordered it that way, it may end up being a true '1 of 1 car. Fast forward to when you turn 70 and wish to sell it, it should bring a premium due to its 'special' status. If you don't believe me, check out magazines such as Muscle Car Review and see these 'one-of-one's bring at an auction!!

Craig

Comment

Back in the day I had a 76 Nova Concours with exactly that color on it. I've loved it ever since. That car has the big, soft broadcloth seats, and they were tan. Really a stunning combination.

That Camaro would be sharp with two-tone, quality leather, done in the pattern of the original. Would be a bit of a challenge for me, since I don't know of any high-quality interior shops anywhere near here.

I agree completely with you- I'm constantly frustrated when I look at another sharp car and open the door, only to find more ugly gray or black material that looks like a diver's wet suit or something. Then there's the cool dashboards all in the same argent plastic; no imagination. And that's true with all three companies And if you take the panels off and paint them, it always looks like a teenager tried to build a 'Too Fast Too Furious' car...

I guess when all three of these cars are in my garage I'll look at them all together and maybe I'll come up with a better idea
                              Proud NON-CASO

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Working...
                              X