How old are most modern car companys? The GM comercial got me thinking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How old are most modern car companys? The GM comercial got me thinking

I tried to look it up, and could only find a few if searched one at a time.

Ford 1903.

Oldsmobile 1897, purchased by Durant of GM in 1908, production ended 2004.

Buick 1899, purchased by Durant of GM in 1908 (GM's first car company).

Cadillac 1902, purchased by Durant of GM in 1909.

Dodge 1900 (though they didnt build a car until 1914), purchased by Chrysler in 1928.

Maxwell 1904, became Chrysler when purchased by Chrysler in 1925.

Rambler 1900, purchased by Nash in 1916, Nash became American Motors in 1954 (along with Hudson which began in 1909), American Motors was purchased by Chrysler in 1987.

Overland 1903, purchased by Willys in 1908, Willys purchased by Kaiser in 1953, Kaiser purchased by American Motors in 1970, American Motors purchased by Chrysler in 1987.

Studebaker 1852, military truck operations purchased by Kaiser in 1964, Kaiser purchased by American Motors in 1970, military truck division renamed AM General in 1971, purchased by the LTV Corporation in 1983, purchased by Renco in 1992 and will soon be building taxi cabs.
    Last edited by Milaca; 11-27-2010, 06:19 PM.
    sigpic
    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

And Studebaker is STILL the OLDEST car manufacturer out of all of them!!!
      Chris Dresbach

Comment

Overland 1903, Purchased by Willys in 1908, Willys-Jeep formed in 1941, Willys-Jeep purchased by Kaiser in 1953, Kaiser-Jeep purchased by AMC Corp in 1979, AMC-Jeep sold to Chrysler in 1979.

Rover formed in 1878, Land Rover formed by Rover in 1947, Rover absorbed by LMC in 1967, Rover sold to BMW in 1988, Sold to MG in 2000, sold to Ford in 2006.
        Last edited by Nelsen Motorsports; 11-27-2010, 08:28 PM.
        Alex Nelsen, certified Studebaker nut.
        Driving a 1954 Champion Coupe powered by a Chrysler 383.
        Lizella, GA

Comment

Now the Germans

Mercedes 1886, merged with Chrysler 1999, imported nd sold by Studebaker 1958-63 and in 1966 many Stude dealers converted to Mercedes

BMW formed in 1916

Audi formed in 1910
          Last edited by Nelsen Motorsports; 11-27-2010, 08:49 PM.
          Alex Nelsen, certified Studebaker nut.
          Driving a 1954 Champion Coupe powered by a Chrysler 383.
          Lizella, GA

Comment

Two other Germans

Porsche formed in 1931
            Volkswagen formed in 1937(coincidentally the vehicle was designed by Ferdinand Porsche who formed Porsche, but conceived by Bela Baryeni five years prior)
            1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
            1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
            1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
            1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

BMW 1913
              http://www.bmwdrives.com/bmw-history.php
              Audi itself, 1910. But it is only one of the four companies that made up the beginnings of the modern Audi. The oldest of the group, Wanderer, began in 1885.
              http://www.audiusa.com/us/brand/en/a...mily_tree.html
              Porsche in 1948, though that ignores the flamboyant designs that Ferdinand made for Auto Union, Volkswagen, and of course, the Leopard tank....among others.
              '53 Commander
              Art Morrison chassis
              LS6 ASA/4L60E

Comment

and then the Japanese:
                Honda, formed in 1946 by the brilliant Soichiro Honda
                Toyota in 1937, though they were a division of Toyota Industries (a textile loom maker, started in 1867) and built an engine in 1934.
                Nissan's primary predecessor ( the Kwaishinsha Co.) was formed in 1911.
                Subaru is still the auto arm of Fuji Heavy Industries; they made their first car, the 1500, in 1954.

Others
                Renault-1898
                Peugeot-1882
                FIAT-1899
                SAAB-1938
                Lamborghini-1963
                '53 Commander
                Art Morrison chassis
                LS6 ASA/4L60E

Comment

Two famous Czechoslovakian car & truck manufactures:

Skoda, 1895 to present. Now owned by Volkswagen

Tatra, 1897 to present; at least for heavy trucks. The quirky rear-engined V8 car ended in 1997.

Craig

Comment

I better toss in the Japanese luxury divisions as well

Acura- Formed in 1986 and is the luxury division for Honda
                    Lexus- Formed in 1989 and is the luxury divsion for Toyota
                    Infiniti- Formed in 1989 and is the luxury division for Nissan

An extra one for the Japanese:
                    Mitsubishi- The name goes back to 1870 as Mejij Restoration, a mostly shipping company. The name was changed in 1873 to Mitsubishi Shokai. They have diversified greatly over the years into literally everything, from electronics, industry, chemistry, banking, life insurance, to nuclear power, and power generation. Mitsubishi Motors is part of the Mitsubishi Heavy Industries group and was formed in 1970 from the automotive division of Mitsubishi Heavy Industries. Mitsubishi's automotive endeavours didn't completely begin in 1970, they started in 1917 with the Model A(It's not what you're thinking of). The car was based on the Fiat Tipo 3, but was rather costly so it was discontinued in 1921 after 22 were built.
                    After WWII they continued building transportation. They built the Fuso and the three wheeled scooter. During the '50's they imported the Henry J's and Willy's(namely for the Jeep name) that they imported in CKD fashion. The Jeep deal lasted until 1998. In the 1960's they came out with the Mitsubishi 500 and the Mitsubishi Colt, in 1969 they introduced the Diamante. In 1970 the automotive department in the West Japan and East Japan Heavy Industry sects were then merged to become Mitsubishi Motors under the Mitsubishi Heavy Industries banner. Until recent, Mitsubishi as a whole was one of the largest firms.
                    1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                    1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                    1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                    1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Dresbach View Post
                      And Studebaker is STILL the OLDEST car manufacturer out of all of them!!!
                      Oldest vehicle manufacturer, NOT "...OLDEST car manufacturer..."
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Re: the Germans and Japanese....how "original" are their car companies?
                        I'd be surprised if the ACTUAL firms (not just he names) survived WWII.

You can also argue that GM (chevy, Buick, Cadillac) ceased to be in 2009...the timeline should technically start over when GM went banko.
                        63 Avanti R1 2788
                        1914 Stutz Bearcat
                        (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Well, be careful not to shoot yourself in the foot with the quick draw. Studebaker was bankrupt in 1933; should their timeline start over?
                          I'm thinking as long as a marque remained in production, merely "bringing in a new owner" (a long-running joke at the old Jeep House museum) shouldn't be held against it.

Predictably, I also believe Blake and Cafaro are "footnotes."

Comment

In terms of companies, I think I'm correct.
                            In terms of brands...then you're correct.

I think GM is playing it fast and loose...(so what else is new?) by bragging that they've been around since 1908 or whatever...well tell that to the shareholders whose stock that granddad bought is now being used to paper the outside john.

When Rolls Royce went banko because of the RB 211 enguine, it was reformed as Roll Royce (1971) Ltd.

Originally posted by comatus View Post
                            Well, be careful not to shoot yourself in the foot with the quick draw. Studebaker was bankrupt in 1933; should their timeline start over?
                            It doesn't mean much to me. Personally, I've never bragged that my Avanti was built by the same guys that did the Conestoga wagons. I've found that line never impresses the babes.
                            Last edited by JBOYLE; 11-29-2010, 11:47 AM.
                            63 Avanti R1 2788
                            1914 Stutz Bearcat
                            (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Originally posted by comatus View Post
                              I'm thinking as long as a marque remained in production, merely "bringing in a new owner" (a long-running joke at the old Jeep House museum) shouldn't be held against it.

Predictably, I also believe Blake and Cafaro are "footnotes."
                              Studebaker did NOT go 'bankrupt' in 1933. The went into receivership. They reorganized, selling off Pierce Arrow, etc., and got their credit extended by the banks.

Craig

Comment

Working...
                              X