Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chrysler Coming Back To Kokomo! (Possibly)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chrysler Coming Back To Kokomo! (Possibly)

http://www.aftermarketnews.com/Item/...on_plants.aspx

(copy...see link for complete article)

The investment would fund the installation of equipment and special tooling to modernize the Indiana Transmission Plants and the Kokomo Casting Plant. The company said the project would extend the life of these manufacturing facilities and help retain nearly 2,250 jobs.

KOKOMO, Ind. --
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Does this mean that all those modern looking buildings with big empty parking lots and weeds chest high will be spruced up and teeming with activity the next time I drive by on the way to South Bend?

I'll believe it when I see it.

Also, I didn't realize that the new electric cars of the future would need a lot of mechanical transmissions like the ones in the soon to be obsolete gas burners.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Love to hear it!

But forgive me if I reserve my happy dance till I actually see it... and see it used for building actual "future Chrysler group" vehicles, not rebadged Fiat crap.

Wonder what the under/over is on that?
      Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth—let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
      Romans 15:13
      Deuteronomy 31:6
      Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Bob,
        Like it or not, most of the "new" Chrysler vehicles will be based on Fiat platforms in the future. After all, Fiat is now the boss of Chrysler. I wish them both good luck and hope they can pull it off, since so many American jobs depend on their success.
        Rog
        '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
        Smithtown,NY
        Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

I'm sure you're right; but a guy can hope, right?
          Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth—let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

They no doubt will want to stop building the Daimler stuff and start building Fiat stuff. That's likely the tab to retool for the Fiat stuff. Daimler is probably getting itchy to make sure their proprietary tooling and designs get out of there ASAP. This is no real surprise or great leap of faith on anyone's part. Just some needed housekeeping since Chrysler changed foster homes.

The last real Chrysler FWD stuff was probably shipped to Russia when the tooling and designs of the previous generation Sebring/Stratus were sold to that country's GAZ by Daimler. The poorly recieved and likely to soon be discontinued Caliber/Compass use a Nissan CVT transmission.

Part of the hype in the past that turned me off so badly toward the product was that the trucks and RWD cars would sport Mercedes transmissions. That ship has sailed, and I doubt Fiat would want to pay royalties to Daimler once any grace period has passed. Just another attempt to make something that isn't something look like something.

Comment

A few summers ago on a family vacation to Italy the family and I rented a Fiat Croma 4 door crossover for a couple of weeks. I fell in love with the car, it was fast, handled expertly and was easy on fuel. It was powered by a Turbo Direct Injection Diesel coupled with a 6 speed manual.
              sigpic
              John
              63R-2386
              Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

To me it looks like Chrysler is going the way of Studebaker. I get tired of hearing how they build crummy/cheap/unsaleable cars. I hope the Fiat thing turns them around, but I seriously doubt it. I have owned two Chrysler minivans, and they have given me great service. Our current one has close to 200,000 miles. I wish the American car buyer would actually LOOK at the products out here and let them stand on their own merits, instead of believing what the car magazines tell them. If they did that maybe Chrysler would build two transmission plants!
                1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

Originally posted by Kurt View Post
                  To me it looks like Chrysler is going the way of Studebaker. I get tired of hearing how they build crummy/cheap/unsaleable cars. I hope the Fiat thing turns them around, but I seriously doubt it. I have owned two Chrysler minivans, and they have given me great service. Our current one has close to 200,000 miles. I wish the American car buyer would actually LOOK at the products out here and let them stand on their own merits, instead of believing what the car magazines tell them. If they did that maybe Chrysler would build two transmission plants!
                  Dead-on, Kurt. I sell used cars, and look at literally thousands every week at auctions. I deal in mostly 2-8 year old vehicles. A lot of them are Chrysler products. I have found them to overall be very good quality, and decent sellers. One of our top sellers is Dodge trucks- cannot get enough of them. I've sold a number of Calibers and all the Jeep products, and two Compasses; and of course literally hundreds of the minivans. My own 2000 Town & Country AWD that I use to deliver mail has always been nearly indestructible, with the exception of a constantly chirping serp belt (replace the belt it stops but returns in a month or so), and the brakes squeal after the first 300 or so stops each day. Nothing major ever, at 170K. Replaced a 99 Grand Caravan AWD with 268K that was completely worn out but completed it's last day of 584 stops and starts without complaint.

Sure, there can be lemons; every company has them. But as a group, modern Chrysler products are good vehicles; and areas may vary, but around here they still sell just fine; and I know when I send one out it will likely give the customer great service, even at 100K-plus miles.

It all goes back to the current fall of common sense and clear thinking from popularity. Today people read agenda (read: money) driven magazines or catch a news bite flipping through the channels on the way to Dancing With the Stars and just adopt that as an opinion/belief, with no interest in learning or investigating- or thinking things through. Worse, they get dug in and refuse to consider facts when presented- more important to live lies than be wrong. It's how the myth of foreign cars being superior to Americans is perpetuated.

How anyone can think a Hyundai or Toyota could be superior to a comparable American offering would be completely nonsensical since real-world facts do not support it- except for the above explanation.

Sad state of affairs, for sure.
                  Proud NON-CASO

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Fiat has become a world class maker in Europe, not the Fiat of old. Next, a Maserati SUV by Chrysler. With public opinion about the bailouts now positive thanks to GM, Chrysler has a real chance to survive.

LOS ANGELES—Chrysler Group LLC, which is trying to turn itself around with the help of its partner Fiat SpA, has plans to cooperate with the Italian company's super-luxury brand Maserati.

In 2013, Chrysler will begin producing a premium sport-utility vehicle to be sold as a Maserati in markets around the world, according to Sergio Marchionne, who serves as chief executive of both Chrysler and Fiat.

The Maserati vehicle will be made from the underpinnings of Chrysler's new Jeep Grand Cherokee and be assembled at its Jefferson North assembly plant in Detroit, Mr. Marchionne said in an interview at the Los Angeles auto show.

"This is just a great architecture," Mr. Marchionne said. "Why wouldn't I put a Maserati on it?"

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...382205910.html
                    JDP Maryland

Comment

When referencing Chrysler, you have to specify which of the five Chryslers there have been in the past fifteen years you are speaking of:

1) Chrysler Corporation (1924-1998)
                      2) Daimler Chrysler (1998-2008)
                      3) Chrysler LLC (2008-2009)
                      4) Chrysler in Government Ownership during bankruptcy (2009)
                      5) Fiat/Chrysler (2009- )

Chrysler's quality issues, especially in the final Daimler years were real. So real, they have alienated myself and five members of my family to abandon the brand, most likely forever, in favor of the other members of the Big Three, and in one case, a Mazda. Relentless electrical issues and even a blown engine at 60K drove us away. We NEVER had these issues in pre 1998 Chryslers that all saw odometers kiss or exceed 200K miles. The Chrysler of today is not the Chrysler most of you are talking and thinking of.

Sergio needs to overcome this perception that is to an extent based in fact. If he is a good car guy, he needs a market that will buy what he makes. Other good car guys, like Egbert and Lutz, have done the right things at the worst time to get lukewarm to bad results. Sergio, if his timing is right, could do a mediocre job and get good results.

I think the timing could be right right. The market has nowhere to go but up the next five years. We will see if Fiat can compete in this market and has learned from the horrendous mistakes Daimler made while in control of Chrysler.

Chrysler has been like the Packard in the Studebaker Packard merger in every one of the four post 1998 changes. This time is likely the last chance for the NAME to go on. If it does, it will be without me and my family members.

Comment

I swore off Chrysler once myself... A REALLY BAD experience with a Plymouth Sundance. Later though when in the market for a mini van Chrysler seemed like the only game in town. Drove the first one 160000. Hit a deer and totaled it. The second also a Chrysler is near 200000 a 2002 that I found used. I am now looking at the Dodge Charger. V8 engine rear drive and styling that looks like nothing else on the road. Maybe it will be junk, but I am willing to try one more...
                        1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

Originally posted by JDP View Post
                          Fiat has become a world class maker in Europe, not the Fiat of old. Next, a Maserati SUV by Chrysler. With public opinion about the bailouts now positive thanks to GM, Chrysler has a real chance to survive.

LOS ANGELES—Chrysler Group LLC, which is trying to turn itself around with the help of its partner Fiat SpA, has plans to cooperate with the Italian company's super-luxury brand Maserati.

In 2013, Chrysler will begin producing a premium sport-utility vehicle to be sold as a Maserati in markets around the world, according to Sergio Marchionne, who serves as chief executive of both Chrysler and Fiat.

The Maserati vehicle will be made from the underpinnings of Chrysler's new Jeep Grand Cherokee and be assembled at its Jefferson North assembly plant in Detroit, Mr. Marchionne said in an interview at the Los Angeles auto show.

"This is just a great architecture," Mr. Marchionne said. "Why wouldn't I put a Maserati on it?"
                          Let's hope the '80's "TC by Maserati" doesn't come to mind with this one!! That ill-fated marketing idea was one of the worst ever.

Craig
                          Last edited by 8E45E; 11-25-2010, 01:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                            Let's hope the '80's "TC by Maserati" doesn't come to mind with this one!! That ill-fated marketing idea was one of the worst ever.

Craig
                            I liked them when they came out. I drove a new demonstrator. It shook (mostly cowl) worse than any Studebaker. I could not see it as an everyday car. I know people that have them, even in multiples, now, but that is different as they have them as hobby cars, not new transportation.
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                              I liked them when they came out. I drove a new demonstrator. It shook (mostly cowl) worse than any Studebaker.
                              A lot of people did.....until they drove them. They soon found it was nowhere near as refined as a Maserati, and hence, not worth the asking price. While Chrysler as we know it has come a long way since then, one hopes the Maserati version of the new SUV is more than just real wood and a leather interior.

Craig

Comment

Working...
                              X