Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christmas Fact #1

From Polandpoland.com:

The centrepiece of the traditional Christmas Eve feast in Poland is carp. If you walk around the streets of almost any village, town or city in Poland you will come across streetcorner sellers with live carp for sale. Customers pick out their favourite fish, and the vendor bags the fish live and the fish taken home. These Christmas carp are kept alive in large buckets or the bathtub until Christmas Eve, when it killed and cooked! In some parts of Poland and the Czech Republic it is a custom to carry a large scale from the head of a carp eaten on Christmas Eve as a token of luck.
    sigpic
    Lark Parker --Just an innocent possum strolling down life's highway.

Yeek! That's a fish too ugly for me to eat

Around here the guys that are in waders in the rivers going after salmon hate it when they get a carp. Knowing that most don't want them, there's usually a contingent of guys with their pant legs rolled way up standing at water's edge; and the minute they see a fisheman's got a carp on the line they run out and say "Hey man, watchu gon' do widdat big fish???" The salmon fisherman removes the hook and hands over the carp, glad to be rid of it. A win-win symbiosis if ever there was one

Now, one wonders what were you looking for at polandpoland.com; it's a dating service, I assume.
    Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth—let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
    Romans 15:13
    Deuteronomy 31:6
    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

My grandmother used to pressure cook carp - made all the little bones turn to mush.
      Good eating, and carp are good fighters on the line - fun to fish for them!
      The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

They are not just good fighters --- they are great fighters.
        I saw Bill Dance bring one in on his TV show. During the fight he kept saying "this is a really big bass".
        When he landed it he was disgusted and for a moment I thought he was going to throw away his "contaminated"gear.
        We used to fish in a very large pond that was full of carp. They would wear you out fighting them after an hour or two of fishing. We switched to surf casting rods after a few trips.
        We would take them to my dad's large garden and bury them for fertilizer between the rows.
        When the ground was turned the next spring their visible remains had disappeared.
        sigpic
        Lark Parker --Just an innocent possum strolling down life's highway.

Comment

Proper way to cook Carp:

Split and clean the fish. Nail the fish to a piece of 3/4" plywood. Bake in a 350 degree oven, for 1 hour.
          Remove the plywood, and fish. Remove the fish, and throw it away. Serve the plywood.

An old Polish/Croatian recipe.

Comment

I have an Indian friend who cooks fish the old way - over a wood fire.
            He used to say, "You want to cook an native American fish, ask a native American how to do it".
            Got to say, they are delicious - whatever species they may be.
            The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
              Yeek! That's a fish too ugly for me to eat

Around here the guys that are in waders in the rivers going after salmon hate it when they get a carp. Knowing that most don't want them, there's usually a contingent of guys with their pant legs rolled way up standing at water's edge; and the minute they see a fisheman's got a carp on the line they run out and say "Hey man, watchu gon' do widdat big fish???" The salmon fisherman removes the hook and hands over the carp, glad to be rid of it. A win-win symbiosis if ever there was one

Now, one wonders what were you looking for at polandpoland.com; it's a dating service, I assume.
              Dang Bob, You are just hanging around with the wrong New Yorkers.

I grew up in a small town on Saginaw Bay in Michigan and a large industry in the winter was cutting ice and storing it in sawdust until spring/summer to ship the carp to NY by railcar that was netted from the Bay. Ever hear of (Gefilte Fish) Carp Baby,Carp.

Bob
              , ,

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
                Ever hear of (Gefilte Fish) Carp Baby,Carp.
                I have heard of that from some Minnesotans. Seems it's famous for being disgusting! Or at the least an... acquired taste...
                Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth—let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                Romans 15:13
                Deuteronomy 31:6
                Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Working...
                X