Anyone have a Dannmar lift?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have a Dannmar lift?

I have had more fun than a grown-up child should have, putting together a 4-post lift for my Stude garage!
    Must say, the instructions are not very detailed. One might think with something potentially dangerous they might provide lots of pics, but no.

Thus my question... under the ramp with the ram, there's a pair of rods that are held together with a coupling nut and these rods are used to move the blocks that hold the ramp in place for when you're lowering. After assembling the servo rods per the instructions, when I move the rod handle in the proper direction to move those blocks, the movement is counter-clockwise and the coupling nut unscrews, so that the rear blocks don't move. Duh!

My first thought is to switch positions on the actuator rods that move the blocks so that the movement is clockwise on my handle. Does any of this make sense? ha ha ha!!

I just put a 4 post together and the hardest part was getting the safety lock rod installed, tightened, and set correctly.
    Here's what I did.. (maybe yours is similar)
    Put the rod sections in with the lock nuts and connector collar.
    Make sure the spacers at each end are installed to keep the T bar away from the ramp strap bracket(s).
    Clamp one end to the ramp clamp bracket with a vice grip to keep it from turning.
    Adjust the far end rod so the 'end play' is minimal.
    Rotate the rear T bar so it is parallel with the clamped front T bar.
    Go underneath and rotate the connector coupler so it is in the middle of both threaded rod ends.
    (Mine had a hole drilled in it, so I put a Philips screwdriver in the hole to keep the connector from turning)
    Turn the lock nuts so they jam the connector couplers solid.
    Then, out at each end, install the rod ends and adjust to the latches.
    HTIH
    Jeff

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Thanks Jeff, this does help. The instructions said nothing about using lock nuts.

Comment

LOCK NUTS ARE THE ANSWER!! Just put a Greg Smith unit in a couple weeks ago...exactly what deepnhock said. I have found that when I raise the lift and then lower...to set the dogs...I apply just a little pressure to the lever to assist the springs in setting to he dogs all the way out. Maybe it just makes me feel better to feel the dogs fully seat...but I still do a visual on all four posts.
        HOPE the same technical writter isn't contracted to do a step-by-step instruction manual for a brain surgeon...the manual was poor at the very best.
        Last edited by Ray Stewart; 11-18-2010, 09:39 AM.
        Ray Stewart SDC
        51 pick-up
        57 silver hawk
        62 lark

Comment

Here's what mine look like...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Deep-N-Hock Oct 2010 053.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	1666269

Click image for larger version

Name:	Deep-N-Hock Oct 2010 054.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	1666270

Originally posted by tomnoller View Post
          Thanks Jeff, this does help. The instructions said nothing about using lock nuts.

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Comment

Ray and Tom...
            I fiddled with mine quite a but to get everything the way I wanted it.
            Even added an 'extra' bend to the release lever to make it parallel with the lift frame
            (and not stick out so far)
            The most satisfying thing is to hear all four dogs click in exact unison on the way up.
            That way you know your cables are all even, and your latch turnbuckles are are set even.
            I also sprayed the rubbing blocks with some JigaLoo spray lube.
            Smooth sailing so far....
            HTIH
            Jeff

Originally posted by Ray Stewart View Post
            LOCK NUTS ARE THE ANSWER!! Just put a Greg Smith unit in a couple weeks ago...exactly what deepnhock said. I have found that when I raise the lift and then lower...to set the dogs...I apply just a little pressure to the lever to assist the springs in setting to he dogs all the way out. Maybe it just makes me feel better to feel the dogs fully seat...but I still do a visual on all four posts.
            HOPE the same technical writter isn't contracted to do a step-by-step instruction manual for a brain surgeon...the manual was poor at the very best.

Jeff

Comment

Stackin' Studes! Thanks for the help, Guys!

Comment

That's what it's all about... Helping each other out!
                Glad it is working good for you..
                Jeff

Originally posted by tomnoller View Post
                Stackin' Studes! Thanks for the help, Guys!

Jeff

Comment

Working...
                X