Fresh off the grille

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fresh off the grille

of a truck. Very nice 10 point. Couldn't let him go to waste.

Last edited by jlmccuan; 11-14-2010, 07:00 PM. Reason: forgot pic
    Jim
    Often in error, never in doubt
    http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Another word for deer is YUM!
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

I likie. Nice, lean meat, nothin better than the shoulder, especially after spending a day in a crock pot...
      Alex Nelsen, certified Studebaker nut.
      Driving a 1954 Champion Coupe powered by a Chrysler 383.
      Lizella, GA

Comment

This what was left over after lunch. It went into the crock pot for a meal of Italian Venison this week. All top loin or backstrap. Took maybe 10 minutes to harvest the meat and you can't buy the quality anywhere of corn fed venison. Lunch will be ready about noon tomorrow. Drop in for a great fresh "grilled" dinner. With more and more deer showing up on the road, I may have to start regular runs for collection. Illinois's new strategy is to leave them lay and let the scavengers also get hit trying to clean them up. I can cut the backstraps, move the carcass off the road and be on my way in 10 minutes, feeding folks, and saving more animals from getting hit. Lots of folks around here really need the exra protien in their diet and really appreciate the help. We carry a kife kit, ziplocks and cleanup stuff in a bag behind the seat should the occasion arise. Waste not, want not. Any requests for surplus? I'll do my best to help out.
        Jim

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

Ok, I must be really sick, as it looks like the "grille marks" say snap -on??
          George King
          Grants Pass, Oregon
          64 Station Wagon with fixed roof (Canadian Car)

66 Station Wagon with fixed roof. Project car, complete For Sale...

64 Wagonaire sliding roof South Bend car. For Sale...

63 GT Hawk

51 Champion Starlight Coupe For Sale...

Comment

I have never liked venison, no matter how it's prepared. Where I live that's blasphemy, but it is what it is<G> You should see the folks that come from all over the country to salmon fish here when they find out I don't fish because I also dont like salmon
            Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth—let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
            Romans 15:13
            Deuteronomy 31:6
            Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Road butchering can be a dangerous hobby. If the heavy diaphragm separating the aerobic from the anerobic parts of the anatomy (don't laugh--we have one too) is ruptured -- it usually is in a collision -- at least part of the meat gets polluted with fecal bacteria. That's what makes "eating road kill" such a lighthearted joke: you can die of it.

Backstrap, naturally, would almost always be safe, and, as we say in Ohio, "if you fix it right" you could clean all that meat up, and cook it altogether too much, avoiding any hazard. What I'd like to see (and never will, just like lessons in how to drive when you realize you've drunk too much), is seminars on how to do this right, and how to recognize what is okay to use. I just can't see the various DNR's endorsing the concept--not in a legalistic PR environment that tells you not to change your own tire because you might get hit.

With that disclaimer, yep it's good eatin, and also Bob is a commie or something. An Athema, that's what he is. Schenectady in da moonlight.

Comment

Originally posted by comatus View Post
                and also Bob is a commie or something. An Athema, that's what he is. Schenectady in da moonlight.
                Gee Mike, thanks loads for outing me. Until you said that every single person here loved me.

Guess it's time to consult with my new governor on the best way to spin this...
                Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth—let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                Romans 15:13
                Deuteronomy 31:6
                Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

That is a Snap-On brand you see.

In this case, the demise of the critter happened as we were driving by in the other lane. I wouldn't take a chance on an animal that wasn't still fresh. Also, you need to look at the overall health to make sure CWD wasn't a contributing factor.

Not much danger in digestive tract contamination in backstraps, hams and shoulders. On a deer, there isn't enough meat on the ribs to worry about trying to bone them out. Actually, a bullet hit carries a greater chance of dragging fecal material into the meat. In this particular deer, a broken neck was the only damage and there wasn't even any bruising. Sometimes, there is nothing salvageable. Other times, it's hard to find why they didn't walk away.
                  Jim

Comment

In Minnesota you can buy a road kill permit that allows you to pick up all sorts of delectable creatures.Downside is that when you get that permit it also puts you on a list with state and local gendarmes and you are subject to 3am phone calls from Officer Friendly asking if you want something just hit on Hwy 10.
                    Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

Jim, couldn't agree more--especially that shot-placement comment, which is why the "Texas Heart Shot" isn't considered, well, sporting in these parts. Anymore.

Bob, I have an old pal, Tennessee field butcher and former black-powder fisherman among other things, who's on "that list" by virtue of his son being on the local police department. You ought to hear him complain about those 3AM calls! Rant always ends in a poundage count, though.

Comment

Working...
                      X