Orphan of the day 11-7---1951 Mercury

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orphan of the day 11-7---1951 Mercury

101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

What a handsome car, and an awesome presentation...
    (I won't say restoration, because red plug wires, chrome radiator tubes, and generator cover couldn't be stock)
    Last edited by DEEPNHOCK; 11-07-2010, 03:44 AM.
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
      What a handsome car, and an awesome presentation...
      (I won't say restoration, because red plug wires, chrome radiator tubes, and generator cover couldn't be stock)
      The radiator hoses on each bank should be one piece - rubber. Blue dot tail lights and hose clamps are also incorrect.
      I do not remember the air cleaner looking like that. Perhaps it is an option or an oil bath converted to paper element which raises the top-center section.

I owned a 1951 Mercury coupe. I used parts from it to repair and customize my 1949 Mercury coupe. The original owner of my 1949 was a good friend of my father. He made my parent's fruitcake wedding cake. He also ran a restaurant directly across from a Ford plant in Detroit when he bought the Mercury. My father purchased the Mercury from his widow. In a couple of years, it became my car. After customization, I traded it in on a 1954 Mercury Monterey hardtop. All of the extra parts from the 1949 & 1951 went with my father's home when I sold it in 2008. I guess that I should have put the parts on Bay.
      Last edited by studegary; 11-10-2010, 11:01 AM. Reason: correct year
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I like the "I'm gona' drip" carb on it, is that the fore-father of the teapot like was on our 55 T-Bird? Those complex folding hinges to keep the taillights properly oriented are so neat too. Love old Mercs and old wagons, can't get much better.

Comment

If those are the tail light pods that came with the wagon, I think it is an excellent adaptation and a creative way to use up left over tail lights from the '30's.
          Last edited by jclary; 11-08-2010, 03:25 AM.
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Yep, very nice indeed.
            Joe Roberts
            '61 R1 Champ
            '65 Cruiser
            Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
              If those are the tail light pods that came with the wagon, I think it is an excellent adaptation and a creative way to us up left over tail lights from the '30's.
              Those taillights actually swivel when you lower the tailgate, so even if you decide to haul lumber, you can still be legal.
              Alex Nelsen, certified Studebaker nut.
              Driving a 1954 Champion Coupe powered by a Chrysler 383.
              Lizella, GA

Comment

Interesting piece of trivia for 1951 Mercurys - under the front parking lights, the fenders still have the shape and cut out for lights as used in 1949, but the grille panel does not have the matching opening.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

If it was like the '49 Merc I had, the engine was red and green. As I remember, intake, front cover plate and oil pan were green. There was a lot of green overspray.
                  Mike M.

Comment

My goodness, that's one beautiful car. I always loved the '49 thru '51 Mercs, especially the wagons.
                    Rog
                    '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                    Smithtown,NY
                    Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Working...
                    X