Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Neat encounter with a marque from Poland (PIX)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neat encounter with a marque from Poland (PIX)

This starts a week or so back when my brother noticed an unusual little car in a driveway in Dundas; he chatted with the owner, mentioning my Lark in the process, and the guy expressed a keen interest in seeing the Stude. I went by briefly Thursday just to eyeball the car, then today, in chilly but gorgeous weather, went back to chat with the owner. Here's the car on Thursday:

It's a 1970 FSO Syrena 104; designed in the mid-50s as an all-Polish product (including the three-cyl two-stroke engine, converted from a pump powerplant) to compete with the Soviet vehicles then universal in Poland, it was produced largely unchanged from 1957 through 1983. The current owner imported this one in the 90s and restored it; at that time it was one of only two in North America.

More to follow...

S.

Originally posted by Steve T View Post
    It's a 1970 FSO Syrena 104; designed in the mid-50s as an all-Polish product (including the three-cyl two-stroke engine, converted from a pump powerplant) to compete with the Soviet vehicles then universal in Poland, it was produced largely unchanged from 1957 through 1983. The current owner imported this one in the 90s and restored it; at that time it was one of only two in North America.
    That one qualifies as tomorrow's 'Orphan of the Day'.

They assembled Fiats under licence in the 70's and 80's. I never did hear if Fiat completly took over the plant in the 90's or not.

Craig

Comment

Today I decided to drop by again. The guy with the Syrena was delighted I'd brought the Lark, and we ended up chatting about both vehicles for quite some time; we also talked about other local Studebakers, and then Brian (the Syrena owner) asked if he might have a short ride in the Lark. Well of course. And it occurred to me that Eric's 1966 Cruiser might still be parked in his driveway not far away, so off we went hoping to give Brian a look at not one Stude but two. Eric's car was indeed parked in its usual spot, and we'd been stationary at the curb for perhaps four minutes when here came Eric in his Volvo. That led to another lengthy chat about Studes, et cetera. Following that, Eric decided he'd follow me and Brian back to the Syrena in his '66; back we went and nattered on together for yet another half hour or so, also having a close-up look at the interesting little Syrena. Here are all three cars...

...and Eric and Brian checking out the '66.

And here they are looking over the Syrena.

Couple more shots of the Syrena to follow.

S.

Comment

Syrena in profile...gotta love those suicide doors.

The engine room. Note the 30s-Morgan-like behind-the-engine location of the rad...

The interior is pleasingly--strikingly--clean and uncomplicated...

Oh, and this was there too. Brian has eclectic taste...also has a Ford and a Pontiac (both vintage).

S.

Comment

Is that an SM?
          "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Yep, 'tis...

S.

Comment

That is an export, not European, SM.
              I have always liked those cars and came close to buying one a few times.
              A local lawyer purchased a new SM and kept it quite awhile. A friend used to work on it in his shop. I remember the engine parts as being available, but very expensive - especially as compared to Studebakers that we were both into.
              The last SM, other than in a show, that I remember seeing was a few years ago in front of a shop on the West side of Rt. 41 south of Inverness, Florida.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                That is an export, not European, SM.
                yup, the home market ones were much cooler with the lower ride height and rectangular glassed-in headlights. Didn't they come with basically a joint venture v-6 that was done with lambo or maser from italy...recall something about that. junior.
                sigpic
                1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Originally posted by junior View Post
                  yup, the home market ones were much cooler with the lower ride height and rectangular glassed-in headlights. Didn't they come with basically a joint venture v-6 that was done with lambo or maser from italy...recall something about that. junior.
                  Not really a "joint venture". The Citroen SM used a Maserati engine.
                  Last edited by studegary; 11-08-2010, 01:01 PM. Reason: spelling
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truthlet me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                    Romans 15:13
                    Deuteronomy 31:6
                    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Speaking of weird foreign cars that intrigue me:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Class...item1c16ed91f8
                      Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truthlet me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Bob,

Agreed the Russian 1951 Zim Gaz is interesting ... my first thought was how slow it probably is being that so much car (weight) is being pulled by a flat head six.

Thanks for sharing Commrade Bob ....
                        sigpic
                        John
                        63R-2386
                        Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

Originally posted by okc63avanti View Post
                          Thanks for sharing Comrade Bob ....
                          Is not problem, Ameddican friend. In Sovit Union, six IS hi performance

Special thanks to my great-grandfather for moving to America in the 1880s
                          Proud NON-CASO

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Originally posted by okc63avanti View Post
                            Agreed the Russian 1951 Zim Gaz is interesting ... my first thought was how slow it probably is being that so much car (weight) is being pulled by a flat head six.
                            I doubt it would be any slower than a Chrysler K-car based Limousine with the 2.2 four cylinder lugging it around.

Craig

Comment

That Syrena looks somewhat like a Lloyd to me. That mid mounted radiator also reminds me of the earlier two stroke Saab. That three cylinder car also put the radiator behind the engine. I think this was changed toward the end of the two cycle era.
                              Joe Roberts
                              '61 R1 Champ
                              '65 Cruiser
                              Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Working...
                              X