Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sta-Bil vs. POR-15. Is one better than the other?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sta-Bil vs. POR-15. Is one better than the other?

Just wondering what y'all's thoughts are. POR-15 has offered free shipping, so it's similar in price to Sta-Bil.

What do you think- or know?

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...3_T%7CGRP2030C

http://www.por15.com/FUEL-PRESERVATI...oductinfo/FPP/
    Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth—let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
    Romans 15:13
    Deuteronomy 31:6
    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
    Just wondering what y'all's thoughts are. POR-15 has offered free shipping, so it's similar in price to Sta-Bil.

What do you think- or know?

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...3_T%7CGRP2030C

http://www.por15.com/FUEL-PRESERVATI...oductinfo/FPP/
    Bob, at first I thought you were goofin' on us! I'd never heard of POR-15 Fuel Stabilizer.

I've used Sta-Bil for years in my '63 and it's always started in the springtime. I think it's kind-of "the original" fuel stabilizer. I used to look for it over knock-off brands, although POR-15 is certainly respected in its other line of rust prevention products.
    Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    (formerly Greenville, PA)
    Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
    Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
    1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
    1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
    All are in Australia now

Comment

Sure looks like 'private label' Sta-bil to me......
      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I have never used Sta-Bil or any other before, in any of my cars, ever. Never had a minute's problem. But with the steadily degrading fuel being forced on us these days, I'm thinking maybe it's time to start. I can get Sta-Bil at any FLAPS, or POR delivered to my door free, so that aspect's a wash.
        Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth—let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
        Romans 15:13
        Deuteronomy 31:6
        Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Because the technology is relatively straight forward and Sta-bil recommends using one ounce to 2.5 gallons and POR-15 recommends one ounce to 3 gallons, I'd pick the cheapest based on cost per amount needed.

If it's equivalent, I'd personally use Sta-bil as the history is a lot longer and POR-15 does not publish an understandable MSDS that would indicate type of content. The product description does suggest a similiar technology to Sta-bil.

Bob
          , ,

Comment

When I put engines to rest for long storage, I put a couple of ounces of two-stroke oil in the gas tank then drive it around to mix it together. Works well for me and it's cheap.
            sigpic
            In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

I used POR 15's stabilizer in my 1968 Century Boat when I put it in storage in 2005. In 2009 I slapped a battery in it and it fired and ran just as well as it did when I put it away. The fuel in the tank had no varnish or nasty gas smell. I was sold!!!! POR 15 sent free samples of it with their order at one time.
              59 Lark Regal 2Dr Hardtop
              51 Champion 2Dr Sedan
              27 Ford Roadster
              Harleys, Mustangs and other Goodies

Comment

I started to use Sta-Bil around four years ago. I never used anything when gasoline was fairly stabile for six months. Now that gasoline begins to degrade in a month or two, I use Sta-Bil in anything that is not used regularly. I think that I will stick with Sta-Bil just because of their good, proven track record.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I've used both Sta-bil and POR-15 fuel stabilizer and both work well. I've been using Sta-bil almost exclusively because it's convenient to buy locally.
                  Rog
                  '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                  Smithtown,NY
                  Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

I see Canadian Tire has 1L stabil on for $7.95 till the 11th. Only in Kanada , eh?? :-)

Comment

Let's see...Cost of trip to town $9. I hate going to town. The USPS, Fed Ex, and UPS guys are all car guys too. No brainer for me. I'd buy my groceries online and have them shipped to the door if I could.
                      Jim
                      Often in error, never in doubt
                      http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

Not a good idea to put the Sta-bil into the same bag as the carrots...

Originally posted by jlmccuan View Post
                        Let's see...Cost of trip to town $9. I hate going to town. The USPS, Fed Ex, and UPS guys are all car guys too. No brainer for me. I'd buy my groceries online and have them shipped to the door if I could.
                        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Working...
                        X