Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Original Appleton tear drop spot light question.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Original Appleton tear drop spot light question.....

Hey guys,

A very dear friend of mine gave me something when I was inquiring about this old spot light laying around in his work area; wanting it for the '52. He in turn gave it to me, instead of selling; and told me what it really is. It is a original 6 volt Appleton tear drop spot light, and when he was growing up (during the '50s, he is a old school hot rodder ) having a twin set of them got you in the "in" crowd. He has had this since he was 14, and he put it on his '37 Chevy 2 door sedan that he hot rodded (His first car, rebuilt 3 times during the 50s, haha). The car is long gone, but he kept this; and he now 69. 55 years of owning this one part, and he passed it on to me. This guy is more like a grandpa really, so it was pretty touching to me.

Anyhow, the chrome is shot on this unfortunetly. I want to have it rechromed, but that is probably cost prohibitive at the moment. I was thinking though; what about carefully sanding it all down to bare metal, and then polishing the steel itself? Thoughts?
    Dylan Wills
    Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
    1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
    1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
    1914 Ford Model T

Pretty cool!

You could polish it to bare metal and clear it. Otherwise it would rust pretty quick.

Comment

That is what I was thinking. Then, I could always have it rechromed sometime later. Do you think the steel would polish almost like stainless?
      Dylan Wills
      Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
      1914 Ford Model T

Comment

I think it would. Hit it with the buffing wheel and see what happens. Unless the buffer catches it and slings it across the shop, you won't hurt it

Comment

Haha, thanks for the input Matt!! And yes, if that does take a trip across the shop, I'm going to be going NUTS.......
          Dylan Wills
          Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
          1914 Ford Model T

Comment

When I first started out with the stainless, I sent more than one piece flying across the room. Hard to make any money that way.

Comment

Hahaha! Well, I'm thinking it's going to be awful hard to throw a big steel globe across the room (I hope anyways.....)
              Dylan Wills
              Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
              1914 Ford Model T

Comment

Working...
              X