James Bond Aston Martin DB5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• James Bond Aston Martin DB5

The 1964 Aston Martin that was in the Bond films Goldfinger and Thunderball sold today for $4.6 million dollars. Anyone car to take a ride in the left hand seat of that DB5.

John S.

Yeah sure, where do I sign up?
    Frank van Doorn
    Omaha, Ne.
    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Yeah sure I'll go ,where do I signup?

Originally posted by Packard53 View Post
      The 1964 Aston Martin that was in the Bond films Goldfinger and Thunderball sold today for $4.6 million dollars. Anyone car to take a ride in the left hand seat of that DB5.

John S.
      Frank van Doorn
      Omaha, Ne.
      1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed

Comment

Originally posted by 41 Frank View Post
        Yeah sure I'll go ,where do I signup?
        Carefull Frank! I think that one is an ejector seat!!

Craig

Comment

Worth every cent.
          I think there were 2 or 3 originally made and one was stolen a few years back never to be seen again.
          This is where my love for Aston Martins began.
          pb

Comment

By golly Craig I think you are right! Better withdraw my offer. (lol)
            Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
            Carefull Frank! I think that one is an ejector seat!!

Craig
            Frank van Doorn
            Omaha, Ne.
            1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed

Comment

I really think that that era of Aston Martin is beautiful. I'm not sure a ride wold be good enough, I wouldn't be satisfied until I was able to get behind he steering wheel.
              Joe Roberts
              '61 R1 Champ
              '65 Cruiser
              Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Originally posted by 63r2 View Post
                This is where my love for Aston Martins began.
                pb
                Along with millions around the world.
                I can't imagine a car firm that got more out of a film tie-in than Aston Martin and the Bond films.

As far as looks, the DB4 has regular (un covered) headlights that IMHO, fits the basic car design (used on the DB4-6) better.
                The DB5 is iconic, the DB6 is like a DB5 but with the Kamm (cut off) tail. Rather like a 62 Corvette, the front end doesn't match the rear.
                63 Avanti R1 2788
                1914 Stutz Bearcat
                (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

I read years ago the 007 DB5 was one of the first made and rushed to make it ready for Goldfinger. Supposedly the car was actually a real dog performance-wise, due to all the extra weight added for the special equipment...the shield that rises to block bullets wasn't bullet proof but was heavy metal, the rotating license plates, the ejector seat was an aircraft seat and was replaced by a real car seat for interior shots, the bow machine guns fired lighted gas, etc. All that stuff added weight with no added power. Special effects took care of the rest.

Still...the DB5 and the Adam West Batmobile rate as the two top cars on my wish list to have. Just sitting behind the wheel of either would cause my smiling teeth to blind any camera trying to record the event!
                  Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

I believe that there were two used in the films, but only one is known to exist. The guy that sold it owned it for about 40 years and paid something like $16,000 for it. The proceeds from the sale are going to charity. The car is going to Ohio.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

The second car disappeared from an airport hanger where it was being stored in Florida in 1997...never recovered. Whether it was dismantled for parts or hidden in some private collection has not been determined. There were several previous attempts at stealing the car before the successful theft. The owner claimed it was the first DB5 built.

Here's some pics I took of the Bond DB5 at the Washington, DC Auto Show back in the 1990's. It was part of a James Bond exhibit, including the Lotus used in "For Your Eyes Only", some other watercraft and a selection of Bond related games, toys and models. Whether this car is the one later stolen or the one just auctioned I don't know. The front sits high because the engine was removed. The car is smaller than one might think...I guess that's perception is from seeing it on screen.
                      Attached Files
                      Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
                        Still...the DB5 and the Adam West Batmobile rate as the two top cars on my wish list to have. Just sitting behind the wheel of either would cause my smiling teeth to blind any camera trying to record the event!
                        In my 2000 meeting with Barris at his Hollywood shop, I got a chance to sit behind the wheel of the #1 original (metal body, not one of the later fibergalss copies) Batmobile. His secretary took the photo, so it's a bit blurry. Talk about a dream come true, especially for a kid who was living near Kansas City watching Batman in the mid-60s. The fist thing you do is reach for the Batphone. It is very well built and beautifully detailed.

The DB 5 in the Washington Spy musem is (was) owned by a friend who had a musem in England. It was a promotion car and not used in the actual filming.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by JBOYLE; 10-28-2010, 02:02 PM.
                        63 Avanti R1 2788
                        1914 Stutz Bearcat
                        (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

The DB5 at the auto show was represented as an original from the film...this was some time before the spy museum opened. Then again...the promoters could have said anything.

Comment

Heard of Ivan Chesnokov? I'm like him, but about Studes.
                            1. We all know what Ian Fleming really drove, and who he flirted with in the front office while buying it. 007, in the books, drove a rebuilt Bentley Continental with an Amherst Villers magnetic blower clutch. And he worried constantly about his main bearings.
                            2. Blowing oil on the road while escaping? Standard equipment on many Studebakers. Tire-puncturing spare parts, optional.
                            3. Axles that slide out to cut pursuer's tyres? We call them "tapered."
                            4. There's a ton of room behind the front directionals in an Avanti's pontoons. Wonder what would fit in there?
                            5. Rotating front plate holder? Mine rotated right off.
                            6. Stude owners have, collectively, spent thousands just to keep the seat from ejecting. And we have lots of secret buttons, too.

I may rest my case here. Don't really want to discuss what you hit when you're shooting at me, going away.
                            Last edited by comatus; 10-28-2010, 06:19 PM.

Comment

After my brother got a little old for it, I carried his Aladdin Thermos 007 James Bond lunchbox to school. Still have it. Still cringe at the thought that we found it great fun to see how far we could slide our metal lunch pails down the concrete to our classroom door after we finished lunch and headed to the playground. (Pictured box not mine. Mine is a little beat up.)

Still have my original Hotwheels lunchbox, too. (With un-broken Thermos. And Dole and Chiquita stickers stuck to it.)
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by kurtruk; 10-30-2010, 05:32 PM.
                              KURTRUK
                              (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                              X