Duesenbergs racing on a 1/4 mile track

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duesenbergs racing on a 1/4 mile track

During this year's ACD Festival organizers have decided to sponsor Duesenbergs racing at Kendallville Airport on a 1/4 mile track laid out on a runway. Kendallville is 20-30 minutes from Auburn, IN. I mention this because it is possible that someone may plan on attending this year. Auction companies will be holding sales and as has been discussed Kruse Auctions will not be present. I departed KHS in 1951...memories.

http://www.noblecountyedc.com/news.a...n-in-september

An aside...many years ago while at a Duesenberg gathering at Gilmore Museum near Kalamazoo I saw a happening that still sticks in my mind. A gentleman from NJ had brought in at least three cars. It started to rain and it lasted long enough to soften the turf. Judging was over and the owner took one of his open Duesenbergs and was spinning around in a field and mud was flying everywhere and deep furrows were plowed. He was laughing and having a good time. I guessed that he was probably not the unlucky person who would be stuck with detailing the car to bring it back to show condition. And I prefer that my Studebaker not get wet except for its annual car wash!
    "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

My first trip to the ACD Festival in the mid 1970's with my Dad and brother gave me a early memory of the hobby that has stuck with the three of us ever since.

We were walking through the tightly packed crowd, when a driver of a white Auburn Boat Tail zipped through the crowd at a pretty fair clip. People saw him coming, so they moved pretty quickly out of his way. He surprised and displaced even more people as he abruptly backed the car up into a space so the car would face the same direction as the other classics in the row.

The three of us walked over to the car after he shut the engine off. The driver reached into his pocket and removed a fresh pack of Lucky Strikes. He sat and fumbled the pack for a couple of minutes while we walked around the car. We were admiring it when he opened the door and climbed out. The 80+ year old driver came up to my Dad and asked "Can you open this pack for me? I can't see well enough to do it."

Ahh, the good old days.

Comment

I hope to visit the museum out there one day as I find these cars very impressive. My favorites are the Cords, both the L-29's and the coffin-nosed Cords are awesome.
      sigpic
      In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

The ACD Museum in Auburn is an absolute time warp. The showroom is as exquisite as it was in the 30's and is populated with cream of the crop cars.
        64 GT Hawk (K7)
        1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Bryant View Post

Judging was over and the owner took one of his open Duesenbergs and was spinning around in a field and mud was flying everywhere and deep furrows were plowed. He was laughing and having a good time. I guessed that he was probably not the unlucky person who would be stuck with detailing the car to bring it back to show condition.
          The unlucky ones would be the rest of the group. Downright abusive activities like that give the organization a bad name, and would terminate any future privileges to park vehicles on what was a nice green lawn. Most of us involved in organizing collector car events know how much more difficult it is to obtain permission to park on a grassy area over an asphalt parking lot.

Craig
          Last edited by 8E45E; 07-20-2010, 08:29 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X