Chevrolet Tech 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chevrolet Tech 4

Hi all, I just got back from rescuing Tracy's Dad broken down on the road. His 87 Celebrity wagon with a Tech 4 engine just suddenly lost power and died without warning. It spins like there is no compression. As it was raining I just hooked the towbar and drug it home. Do these engines use a timing belt or a chain? Are they interference motors? I will get a manual tommorrow but was hoping someone here would know. The wagon has 270,000+ miles on it but ran OK and used little oil. Thanks, Steve
    sigpic

Here might be a good place to ask questions....

http://www.2carpros.com/makes/chevy/celebrit.htm

and

http://www.tsbdata.com/tsb/1987-chev...-151-2_5l.html

and

http://www.motortrend.com/used_cars/...lls/index.html
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Tech 4 is a pushdod engine. Non interferance. I bet the timing chain slipped.
      1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

Thanks guys. I have to investigate further as I called to get a new belt or chain before driving over to tear into it today and neither one listed. Tracy's Dad said it has a plastic cover at the front of the engine so I was assuming it would have a belt. It may be a more major problem than I had originally thought. Steve
        sigpic

Comment

The 151 CID (2.5L) Generous Motors "Tech-4" engine has timing gears, just like a Studebaker.

From what you said, Steve, and given the mileage, it sounds like one of them stripped. The large camshaft gear is pressed onto the camshaft, so the camshaft will have to come out of the engine if the cam gear is stripped.

If it is just the crank gear and you want to patch it up to get it back on the road as cheap and easy as possible, you could replace just the cam gear. Of course, at that mileage, it would be a good idea to replace the camshaft gear as well...but, given the car's projected life expectancy and the greatly increased amount of work required to also replace the cam gear, you could be forgiven for just cheaping out and replacing only the crank gear. (Of course, the cam gear is more likely the one that is stripped) BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
          "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by wolfie View Post
            Thanks guys. I have to investigate further as I called to get a new belt or chain before driving over to tear into it today and neither one listed. Tracy's Dad said it has a plastic cover at the front of the engine so I was assuming it would have a belt. It may be a more major problem than I had originally thought. Steve
            I think this is the correct thing to do - define the problem better before we try to come up with solutions.

I agree with Bob P. If it needs timing gears, it may be time to retire the car unless there is some strong sentimental attachment.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Thanks guys, Didnt get to it today but its on the top of the list for tommorrow. Nothing sentimental about this car, it was a recent purchase for Tracy's dad who is currently unemployed (read cheap car) to be able to get back and forth to search for work. It was never intended to last long but we had hoped for a few more months from it. He has already dumped a bunch of money into it that I wouldnt have so I will patch it if I can. If I cant it will bring his original purchase price back at the crusher. Steve
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X