"off-topic"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "off-topic"

This is for real the branchs and leafs are Oak coming out of the sides of the Fir not from a pocket or from the ground but directly out of the side of the tree just like any other branch.I broke one off in disbelieve and for sure their bred into the tree.

I guess I can't get anymore off topic then this, But I figure maybe I'll get an answer off someone that knows about this type of subject. I own a Evergreen Hemlock Fir that has had some Kinky stuff going on with a Oak tree across from it some 25 feet away and the Fir is growing Oak branches and leafs.

I was thinking this is a little weird although I've heard of trees being graphed, But a Evergreen With a seasonal tree just seems odd to me .

I'm thinking maybe some of you old truck framers can fill me in on this . Oaks are not indigenous to this area and this one was planted by me some 30+ years ago.
    Last edited by JunkYarDog; 07-16-2010, 09:27 PM.

UH OH! Looks like your Hardwood has taken advantage of your little Conifer!
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

You said hard wood.

Comment

Originally posted by bams50 View Post
        You said hard wood.
        Hey-- that's what I was gonna say...

Oh, btw-- w/b, Bams!!!

StudeDave '57
        StudeDave '57
        US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
        SDC Member since 1985

past President
        Whatcom County Chapter SDC
        San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
        San Diego Chapter SDC
        North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

I have never heard of trees being able to do their own grafting, but could the oak leaf be the next generation, growing right next to its parent?
          You'd have to get to the root of this puzzle to see what is really growing the oak leaves.

Comment

Its hard to tell exactly whats going on from your picture, but I assure you, these two trees aren't cross-breeding. They can swap pollen all day long, but you won't get an oakfir. Whats an oakfir? Well, if you have to ask... Sorry, I got off the off topic. Seriously, (more or less) a squirrel or some other rodent is apparently planting acorns for you. An oak is either growing up, around and through your fir, or possibly an acorn sprouted in a crotch (yes, he said "crotch") of the fir. I have seen something similar, but in this case, it was a Hackberry sprouting out of the crotch of a Red Oak.
            John
            1950 Champion
            W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
            Holdrege NE

Comment

Then again.maybe the hemlock needled the oak to the point that he couldn't leaf her alone.
              John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Then again.maybe the hemlock needled the oak to the point that he couldn't leaf her alone.
                John Clary, you are a sick man! ;0
                John
                1950 Champion
                W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
                Holdrege NE

Comment

Originally posted by Lothar View Post
                  John Clary, you are a sick man! ;0
                  I know, I know. Often I am as thorny as an old black locust. sometimes I bark like a dog would...but occasionally I spruce up pretty good!
                  John Clary
                  Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

but in this case, it was a Hackberry sprouting out of the crotch of a Red Oak.

Thats gotta itch!

Comment

Acorn sprouting in a crotch is what I first thought "BUT" new branches are growing directly out of the sides of the Fir with new oak leafs on them. This tree has been infected in some way to where it is growing oak branch's and leaves.

Comment

I 'm at a lost I'm thinking the roots may have graphed together and it's sending the ability for the fir to grow Oak leafs and branches but really I don't have a clue.

Comment

It sounds like it's either;

Cross pollination(but in most cases it would have to grow like that from the seed).
                          It's somehow managed to graft itself or deposit one of those acorns directly into the tree surface.

If it takes you may have a hybrid species there .....
                          1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                          1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                          1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                          1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBrownR2 View Post
                            It sounds like it's either;

Cross pollination(but in most cases it would have to grow like that from the seed).
                            It's somehow managed to graft itself or deposit one of those acorns directly into the tree surface.

If it takes you may have a hybrid species there .....
                            "Oh Its took" I have one branch pretty good sized growing directly out the side of the tree and many other small ones starting .I never gave it much thought but finally today I really looked it over and its growing Oak branches directly out of the sides of it's trunk. I just wrote a Letter to the University of Washington agriculture department I'll see if they can tell me how it happens? Or maybe if I'm lucky they'll send someone out to look at it.
                            Last edited by JunkYarDog; 07-16-2010, 01:31 AM.

Comment

In the meantime, here's some semi light reading on a couple of other species that hybridized as well.

http://tinyurl.com/236bax2

Within the plant kingdom, this isn't too uncommon. Most plants are polyploid(meaning more than one pair of chromosomes, like what we have). Within the chromosomes, the genes that the plant passed on are contained. In this case there may be many varying numbers, elements, regulatory elements, that are different to each of the set of chromosomes the plant put out. It's a neat way that plants are able to avoid whole diseases completely wiping out their populations. Plus it also lets us get whole new species of fruit trees when we graft branches together. The trees that interact with the disease in one area may not have the genes to interact with the tree in another area. Anyway, to cut to the chase, the oak tree may have a set of chromosomes that allowed it to fuse to the hemlock when both trees were pollinating. This is a WAG though. Anyway as far as trees, particularly the ones that are within the same species, have the capability of cross pollinating when they become fertile. The hitch is the over simplified taxonomy tree doesn't say so, which is supposed to say that this is impossible.
                              1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                              1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                              1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                              1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Working...
                              X