fixes or "hot patches" for non security issues for those
    using XP sp 2, as the following link will explain:

http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/63400

Unless you want to completely moderize and go to windows
    7, which would be for most of us a brand new PC.....your
    option for the time being, is to down load the Microsoft Service
    Pak 3 from the M/S down load site, before next Tuesay July
    20th 2010. That way you will be able to continue to receive
    the XP extended support until April 2014.

For those using M/S windows 2000, the party is over as
    of next week. M/S will discontinue all extended support that
    for that product! If anybody is still using Windows 98, your
    support has been long gone and your PC is a nice warm fuzzy
    spot, for all things evil ekkkk!
    Last edited by glen; 07-14-2010, 06:43 PM.

Originally posted by glen View Post
    If anybody is still using Windows 98, your
    support has been long gone and your PC is a nice warm fuzzy
    spot, for all things evil ekkkk!
    Evil? I still have PC's running Windows 98 and there my money makers. 4 of my CNC machines run in the Windows 98 MS DOS and I would never consider upgrading them to anything else. Very Reliable and stable operating system, compared to the later.
    sigpic

J&JW Machine Co.
    Bubbaland South
    Resident Machinist

Comment

For those interested in keeping "legacy" Windows OSes running, try this site: www.98lite.com

These folks make "modularized" or pruned-down versions of Windows operating systems that use a LOT less disc space and memory than the standard versions. Pretty interesting to visit. They have a picture of a single-board computer booting Win98 from a 16 meg flash drive; NO hard drive required.
      Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Originally posted by JJWMACHINECO View Post
        Evil? I still have PC's running Windows 98 and there my money makers. 4 of my CNC machines run in the Windows 98 MS DOS and I would never consider upgrading them to anything else. Very Reliable and stable operating system, compared to the later.
        They may be stable.....but enough said....this was just
        an alert! Course then, I'm hating to give up my XP, with never
        a "lick" of problems, probably because I kept on top of all the
        releases, automatically, due to my 8 year old custom built PC
        is wearing down.

Comment

I was at a computer show last weekend. A guy came up to my table, asking if I knew where anyone sold a complete version of Windows 95 or 98. I asked why he'd want one that old. Said he had a version of "Access" that needed one or the other. I'm sure I have one or the other, somewhere and would have given them to him but I think they are "add-on" copies, not complete. Dunno if he was just a cheapskate or someone who just preferred the older version of Access.

John

Comment

They may be stable.....but enough said....this was just
            an alert! Course then, I'm hating to give up my XP, with never
            a "lick" of problems, probably because I kept on top of all the
            releases, automatically, due to my 8 year old custom built PC
            is wearing down.
            XP is a good operating system for internet surfing purposes, but requires constant security updates, patches and fixes. How many times has your XP operating system been updated since your PC has been built 8 years ago? My Windows 98 systems run as they came off the installation disk with no issues at all. Of-course there not connected to the internet either. I do have 1 CNC router that runs in XP Pro. I had to strip it down to the bare bones to make it stable and reliable enough to run the million lines of G-code that creates the 3D engraving projects that I work on with it. It is not connected to the internet either. Here is a link to a Lithophane I made on that machine.

http://www.vectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=6276

34 hours machine time and I can not afford any glitches, hickups or operating system crashes.

I'm not I was just commenting on your statement about Windows 98 is a nice warm fuzzy
            spot, for all things evil. The evil creeps in when the PC is hooked to the internet.

Can anyone identify any Studebakers in that picture, or if there is any at all?
            sigpic

J&JW Machine Co.
            Bubbaland South
            Resident Machinist

Comment

Lots of corporations have stayed Windows XP for the networking.
              Pretty big capitol investment to change a whole company over to the new stuff.
              (Havent seen a 'Cash For O/S Clunkers' program yet)
              Jeff
              HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I'm running Window 7 and the latest version of MS Office on my new online system, and Windows XP/ MS Office 2000 on my older offline system. Windows 7 has settled down after numerous automatic updates, but I yearn for my old version of Office which in my opinion was easier and more intuitive to use. Not all "Change" is for the better. Our current federal government is proof of this(Again, in my opinion).

Bob Feaganes
                Last edited by stude53; 07-15-2010, 07:37 AM.

Comment

I agree, and the background infighting and squabbles are a pita...
                  My printer/scanner/fax worked great for 4 years with Windows XP...
                  After dutifully keeping up with all the updates, the scanner portion is all morked up.
                  Seems HP must be having a spat with Adobe a/o MS, because the scan and PDF function won't work at all..
                  And trying to use MS Word to scan won't work right either.
                  Updating/removing/reinstalling the HP software didn't do squat.
                  It 'did' work before.... Thanks, you three.....

Originally posted by stude53 View Post
                  I'm running Window 7 and the latest version of MS Office on my new online system, and Windows XP/ MS Office 2000 on my older offline system. Windows 7 has settled down after numerous automatic updates, but I yearn for my old version of Office which in my opinion was easier and more intuitive to use. Not all "Change" is for the better. Our current federal government is proof of this(Again, in my opinion).

Bob Feaganes

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Comment

This is what I hate about Microsoft. Its onething to just stop updating platforms, but it isn't like maintaining them and providing online support documents and patches would kill them.

I have XP SP3 on my machine at home and I am considering buying a new computer because of the age of my current desktop (which I need for the books that I write).

Whats keeping me from migrating to Windows 7 is the cost of replacing the Office Suite, my graphics programs and the scanner issues.

I do know that at our office, Windows 7 with 4 gig of ram on machines has been a HUGE issue, and that a couple of the machines have - in technical terms - "blown chunks" when asked to do basic stuff.

Since I will be pulling my hard drive from my old computer when I get rid of it, and I already have a license for XP, I may consider having it reloaded on the new machine.

I will add this, though - I stopped updating my desktop at home long ago with Microsoft's patches, etc. It seemed like everytime I did update it, something would stop working.

Comment

Do moich znajomych i wszystkich innych,
                      "Elvis" opuścił budynek ma!

Comment

Classic examples of MS migrating from a hard software platform to an Interned based (cloud) platform.
                        As far as the MS Office suite...
                        Heck with 'em.. Go right to Open Office by Oracle at: http://www.openoffice.org/
                        Only thing with them is you have to 'choose' the older format of your choice when you save something.
                        (It defaults to their own format, but you can choose, say... .xls for an Excel format spreadsheet..)
                        I have both, and Open Office is easy to work with... Easier than the 'newer' MS Office formats...

Originally posted by stude62 View Post
                        This is what I hate about Microsoft.
                        Its onething to just stop updating platforms, but it isn't like maintaining them and providing online support documents and patches would kill them.
                        I have XP SP3 on my machine at home and I am considering buying a new computer because of the age of my current desktop (which I need for the books that I write).
                        Whats keeping me from migrating to Windows 7 is the cost of replacing the Office Suite, my graphics programs and the scanner issues.
                        I do know that at our office, Windows 7 with 4 gig of ram on machines has been a HUGE issue, and that a couple of the machines have - in technical terms - "blown chunks" when asked to do basic stuff.
                        Since I will be pulling my hard drive from my old computer when I get rid of it, and I already have a license for XP, I may consider having it reloaded on the new machine.
                        I will add this, though - I stopped updating my desktop at home long ago with Microsoft's patches, etc. It seemed like everytime I did update it, something would stop working.

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by stude53 View Post

Bob Feaganes
                          The netbook I bought my wife came with XP (my choice) and had a "Free" 90-day trial of Office 2007. I didn't like it at all compared to my old Office 2000 (too fancy, not intuitive) so I uninstalled it and, for her purposes, Microsoft Works is just fine (more like Office 2000). I did have to download the Office 2007 compatibility pack on my computer so I could open documents created in Word 2007 (about a 60 Mb update).
                          My problem now is I stuck with SP2 and, based on advice in this thread and on the MS website, I attempted to install it. It almost finished then failed due to lack of memory. Now I can't seem to find it to try again after uninstalling a bunch of the garbage on my C drive. Last night when I gave up I had about 1.5 GB available. Then for some reason, I hadn't been getting update advisories. All of a sudden there were 33 security updates so I let them install. Now I'm down to a little less than 800Mb memory available. My nephew recently gave up on MS and bought Macs for himself, his wife, his mother and his kids. He absolutely loves them and I have to say, seeing his notebook impressed me.
                          Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                          '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

I cleaned up my C drive enough to meet MS requirements for running the SP3 update. When I went to the download site I had to download some updates before MS would let me run the SP3 download/install. I did that and ran the SP3 download. Install seemed to go OK until near the end when I left me on the "processing cleanup" message for more than two hours. The only way I could find out what was happening was to go to CTL ALT DEL. That told me the Update Wizard was not responding and that if I clicked "End Task" I would lose unsaved data. Being a computer dummy I didn't end the task. However, after another long wait I went ahead and ended the task. I turned off the computer and restarted it. Lo and behold SP3 was installed and working. I hate Microsoft.
                            Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                            '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Do moich znajomych i wszystkich innych,
                              "Elvis" opuścił budynek ma!

That's easy for YOU to say!

John

Comment

Working...
                              X