1918 Ads with Studebakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1918 Ads with Studebakers

I've got part of the upstairs of my house ripped apart for a insulation and wiring project. I heard that old newspapers were often used for insulation back then and I found part of the September 6, 1918 Fargo Forum poking out of the wall. There could be more in the walls but I am not going to tear any more out after I got down to the roof rafters since its got a blown-in cellulose job probably done 30-40yrs ago (and what a gastly dusty dirty mess that was to take out the ceiling!). Mainly I am redoing the roof and ceiling. Any rate, the scrap of paper I found has the classified ads on the inside back page. The front page had WW1 war news on the headlines. I don't have a scanner but did take these with my camera and cleaned them up well enough to read. Not a lot of ads and they tend not to list any prices. These are used cars/trucks/motorcycles. I've heard of some of the orphan makes here but some are new to me.
    Attached Files

Jeff in ND

Your low R value insulation makes for some interesting reading Jeff. Might 'Saxony' be a misprint? As I have heard of 'Saxon' automobiles. Never heard of a 'Menominie' truck, perhaps made in Wisconsin? I notice a few ads do not have phone numbers, as I assume that many people did not have phone service then. One car was for sale being that the owner was drafted! When you finish reading that weeks edition, you should tear out more ceiling to find next weeks edition.
    sigpic
    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Very cool! Could you maybe take a pic of the front page for me? That would be really sweet to see!
      Dylan Wills
      Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
      1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
      1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
      1914 Ford Model T

Comment

Well, this paper was folded into quarters and then sort of rolled up and stuffed in a gap between some boards. It came apart while attempting to get it out and is in pieces. 90 year old newspaper is not going to be in perfect shape even if it had been stored properly and this sure was not! Reminds me of those pictures of the dead sea scrolls....

Any rate, the top of the front page is sort of intact and here it is.
        Attached Files

Jeff in ND

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_H View Post
          Well, this paper was folded into quarters and then sort of rolled up and stuffed in a gap between some boards. It came apart while attempting to get it out and is in pieces. 90 year old newspaper is not going to be in perfect shape even if it had been stored properly and this sure was not! Reminds me of those pictures of the dead sea scrolls....

Tell your paperboy to have better aim next time!

Those classified ads are indeed most interesting. And the layout and typeset of a typical classified ad hasn't changed one bit in 92 years!!

Craig

Comment

Thanks for posting this. I am fascinated by old artifacts such as this. As someone who specializes in minor plumbing repairs, (and after seeing this) you can see why I am reluctant to use a soldering torch in these old houses. If your dwelling were to get an ignition source, it would probably burn at a rate of 20 feet per minute! Reminds me of a southern "Good 'ol Boy" North Carolina volunteer fireman being interviewed on the Johnny Carson show after winning the "Spivey Corner Hollering Contest." Carson asked him how quick and good they were at responding to fires. His reply..."We usually git thar in time to save the chimney!"
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Menominee trucks were built in Cliftonville Wisconsin 1911-1937.

Terry

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_H View Post

Thats still pretty darn cool! Thanks!
                Dylan Wills
                Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
                1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
                1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
                1914 Ford Model T

Comment

Found some more papers and in better shape for the most part. In addition to the local Fargo Forum, it appears the builder (or insulator...) of my house in 1918 also had a subscription to the Minneapolis Daily News as well as perhaps some others. So, found several issues of both nearly completely intact.

These are the ones with a readable front cover.

I took some pix of a few ads. I find the ads in these papers the most interesting. After all, its old news!
                  Attached Files

Jeff in ND

Comment

A couple more ads.

I think I may run a few of these ads across a scanner and make a cleaned up frameable copy.

I don't think the intent of the newspapers was insulation exactly. What was done was these were held to the inside of the outer wall between the studs with lathes (lats ?) to seal up the cracks between the boards from the winter "breezes" hear-abouts. Mosty places they used some heavy paper but looks like the odd ends where the paper didn't cover they used the old newspaper. The inside of the house was finished in car-siding boards instead of plaster. It was probably a bit drafty.... Likely just a kitchen wood or coal stove for heat downstairs and maybe a kerosene heater upstairs although probably not.
                    Attached Files

Jeff in ND

Comment

Identical story; fifteen year newer house.
                      Interesting these papers are from 1933, same year as my Rockne; fun to display when I take it to a show. Here's Rotogravure section of Harrisburg Evening News, November 11, 1933
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	Rotogravure.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	1662824Click image for larger version

Name:	Conestoga.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	1662825

I've got a basket full of crumpled issues I need to soften and examine.
                      Last edited by rockne10; 07-24-2010, 10:01 PM.
                      "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                      sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Keep it up guys.. These are great!

Comment

No studebaker content I think, but this article on the FRONT PAGE right next to articles about the latest war news was a hoot....

I found the photo from about the same time to go with as the newspaper article didn't have one (wonder why!).

Last edited by Jeff_H; 08-03-2010, 10:23 AM.

Jeff in ND

Comment

Would love now to have that Harley advertised in the first set of ads! A 'Teens-era H-D with sidecar... I could just see myself in a duster and goggles bombing up the 5 on it!

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                            X