Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Girl Racer- Superstar in the making! Move over Danica...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Girl Racer- Superstar in the making! Move over Danica...

Just wanted to share one of our local racing products, Miss Jessica Zemken. I raced with her dad Ray back in the day. Jess is an only child who grew up around racing. From an early age she had a natural interest in the hobby, including driving. At 17 she managed to put together her own team and has been on her way ever since.

In my experience, women rarely are capable of being truly successful at driving race cars. Aside from the physical aspect (strength and endurance), there are mental differences. This was a theory of mine, eventually backed by science; women's brains are physically different than men's. As a whole, women are better multitaskers, men are better at intense focus on a singular task. That focus is usually the difference.

Jessie is an exception. She's not only pin-up beautiful, but she has that rare focus and intensity combined with the natural gifting and handskills required to win races. At 24 Jess is a known, established top competitor in one of the toughest racing classes anywhere, dirt Sprint Cars. This last weekend she swept twin features, passing many more experienced and better-funded male drivers to do it. Anywhere she goes, she is a recognized threat to win, even to the grudging chauvinists she competes against.

Many women get a shot at racing because woman race car drivers are a novelty; most that want to get the chance plus some special help because of that novelty- especially if they're a doll like Jessie. Most all fail to really accomplish anything, break a few things, and fade off. Not the case here!

Below is her website; this is one of my favorite pictures of her, with her sprint car- gotta love a pretty girl that likes race cars and playing in the mud!:

http://jessicazemken.com/home.html

Imagine how hard it is for girls like Jess to date- some guys are intimidated by what she does, some are insecure about her star power, some could not deal with her schedule. Here's hoping Jess can keep her focus all the way to the top, where I believe she's headed. Remember her name, and when she wins her first Cup or Indy or WoO race you can say, "Hey, I think I heard of that girl a couple years ago!"
    Last edited by Bob Andrews; 07-08-2010, 05:52 AM. Reason: early morning typing oops
    Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
    Romans 15:13
    Deuteronomy 31:6
    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
    In my experience, women rarely are capable of being truly successful at driving race cars. Aside from the physical aspect (strength and endurance), there are mental differences. This was a theory of mine, eventually backed by science; women's brains are physically different than men's. As a whole, women are better multitaskers, men are better at intense focus on a singular task. That focus is usually the difference.
    You are kidding, right? I know several women who belong to several 200 mph clubs both in cars and on bikes. I think this is a social difference rather than a physical one. Women just have not had the exposure to race car driving that men have. How many women mechanics do you know? How many women are active in the car scene (compared to men)? I don't believe biology can be blamed for the difference.

By-the-way congrats to Jessica for what she is doing. I wish her luck.
    Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser
    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

The August 2010 issue of "Automobile" magazine has a nice five page article on Indy racer Simona DeSilvestro.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I'm not intimidated by her, but I wont ask her out being that she isn't a brunette.
        sigpic
        In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Aww, too bad Brent. She's a real sweetie And, she's a country girl...
          Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Joe- I was referring to oval track racing, which is mostly all I've ever done. Very difficult to keep your full focus for several laps at a time, and it is required to be successful.

Many moons ago I took a driving course by Duke Southard. One story he told was about a 200 lap race. There was a stretch of 50 or so green flag laps, and he was leading. This was a short track, which is that much tougher. He said he got so tired, both physically and mentally, all he could think to do was spin out a lapped car so he could get a breather. I've raced with many ladies over the years, and most were rather unsuccessful. Jess is a rare exception to that.

I would like to mention the only other truly talented local girl I've known. Barbara Luce came into racing the same as Jess- father was a racer, she tried it, was very successful from the git-go, and was well on her way. At a family cookout in 1998 or so, a friend stopped by on his new motorcycle. Barbie asked for a ride up to the corner and back. The bike ended up crashing and Barbara was killed. She was just 19 years old. I will never forget her. Couldn't find her tribute site on a quick look, if I do I'll add it.
            Proud NON-CASO

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

I am sure 200 laps in the dirt is hard, but to say there is a biological reason why it is harder for women to "focus" for that long than it is for men, just doesn't click with me. If a man can't focus what does your way thinking say about him. Even further if the only way he can focus is to spin out another driver in order to take a break, what does that say?

I still maintain that one of the primary reasons women are not more active in automobile racing, is a social thing, not a biological one. The two very capable women you have mentioned got into the sport because their father's were involved in it and they followed in dad's footsteps. Unfortunately, that does not often happen. Society in general just does not encourage (accept) young girls' interests in cars and racing. For youmg boy's we seem to accept those things as a natural thing. As a father of a daughter, and a grandfather of two (soon to be three) granddaughters, I have seen this attitude many times. Unfortunately I have not been able to overcome it. My son, on the other hand, has raced some and has a great interest in automobiles, but not because he has more focus. I my opinion it is just plain more acceptable for him to have those interests, than it would have been for his sister. Even old dad couldn't over come that.
              Last edited by JRoberts; 07-09-2010, 06:54 AM.
              Joe Roberts
              '61 R1 Champ
              '65 Cruiser
              Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Uh Bob... You keep steppin' in it
                If you ever get back on the track, and there are some gals driving, they'll whup up on the old geezer out there......
                (and he'll love it)
                Jeff

Joe- I was referring to oval track racing, which is mostly all I've ever done. Very difficult to keep your full focus for several laps at a time, and it is required to be successful.
                <snip>
                HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by Milaca View Post
                  I'm not intimidated by her, but I wont ask her out being that she isn't a brunette.
                  Milaca ... I won't ask her out because I am very much afraid of Mrs. Graham !!! That being said I have a thing for brunettes (my wife is a brunette) over blondes. Danica Patrick is just pure hottness !!!
                  Attached Files
                  sigpic
                  John
                  63R-2386
                  Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

OK, Bob; we'll be looking for Jessica here in Indianapolis in a few years. From what you say, it sounds like she has the potential to have Darling Danica for lunch!

And I'll second what Gary said about the current issue of Automobile. The article on Simona DeSilvestro is excellent and a good read. If you enjoy Bob's report, here, on Jessica Zemken, you'll also enjoy the Automobile report on Simona.

'Give 'em h*ll, Jessica...and keep running Hoosier tires; you look good around them. BP
                    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by JRoberts View Post
                      to say there is a biological reason why it is harder for women to "focus" for that long than it is for men, just doesn't click with me.

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
                      Uh Bob... You keep steppin' in it
                      I wish I had saved the study where I read about this. As I said it was a theory I made based on my own observations, backed up by the article I read. I could be wrong. I did try to find it and came up with this:

MEN on the average tend to be right-brained

For example the right-brain spatial area is important to animals for finding food, and for humans operating equipment, designing bridges, fixing car engines, and building houses. Men tend to be better drivers in high-speed situations like racing where right-brain spatial sense is so important.

http://members.shaw.ca/hidden-talent...116-sexes.html

one of the more intriguing facts researchers have noted is the varying ways in which men and women approach time, judge the speed of things, accomplish mental mathematical calculations, and visualize objects in three dimensions.
                      Scientists believe these differences may explain why there are a significantly larger number of male mathematicians, mechanical engineers, architects, airplane pilots, bush guides, and race car drivers.

http://www.dumblittleman.com/2008/11...bout-mens.html

The "father" of sociobiology, Edward O. Wilson, said that human females tend to be higher than males in empathy, verbal skills, social skills and security-seeking, among other things, while men tend to be higher in independence, dominance, spatial and mathematical skills, rank-related aggression, and other characteristics. This may account, scientists say, for the fact that there are many more male mathematicians, airplane pilots, bush guides, mechanical engineers, architects and race car drivers than female ones.

http://medicaleducationonline.org/in...d=46&Itemid=69

Just so you know I wasn't just pulling it out of the air...

Originally posted by JRoberts View Post
                      I still maintain that one of the primary reasons women are not more active in automobile racing, is a social thing
                      I'm guessing things differ with regions on this one. In my area women are not only involved in all levels of racing to a large extent, those that want to drive are encouraged to do so. Any time a female gets into a race car they become instant celebrities. They sign autographs for all the little girls, get huge cheers from the fans, and are promoted anywhere they race. This is in spite of an always-present small but grumbly chauvinist contingent. Regardless, they eventually have to prove themselves when the green flag drops. My experience over 35 years is most cannot. But there are a few rare exceptions, like Jessie. But they are always welcome here.

Currently I am hoping to entice Jess to come to Oswego and try a Supermodified. Even if it's for one race, she already carries enough celebrity that it would be a good draw and promotion for the Speedway
                      Proud NON-CASO

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                        OK, Bob; we'll be looking for Jessica here in Indianapolis in a few years. From what you say, it sounds like she has the potential to have Darling Danica for lunch!

[/B]
                        My guess is, given her Sprint Car (not to be confused with Sprint Cup) experience, you'd be more likely to see her in Terre Haute than Indy
                        Proud NON-CASO

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

My guess is, given her Sprint Car (not to be confused with Sprint Cup) experience, you'd be more likely to see her in Terre Haute than Indy
                          OK, Bob. When Jessica is going to run at The Terre Haute Action Track, you fly into Indianapolis Int'l Airport and I'll pick you up.

We'll hop right back on I-70 and head southwest about 70 miles to Terre Haute and watch her drive. Then we'll drive 23 miles NW into Illinois and be in Paris. I'll show you my Dad's dealership locations in town. Both the building in Hemmings Classic Car and the building where they had Studebaker-Nash-Packard combined, still stand (or did last summer!). BP
                          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                          "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Any gal that isnt afraid of having her picture taken with her bare feet in the mud hits the mark in my book. Her being blonde and hot just makes it all the more better! Having the determination of winning and organizing her own team is no small task. If she owns a liquor store & drives a Stude, then she'd be the perfect wife!!
                            59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                            60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                            61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                            62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                            62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                            62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                            63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                            63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                            64 Zip Van
                            66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                            66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Cool addendum story on Jess-

Dateline Sunday July 11, 2010, Cayuga County Fair Speedway: Tonight the Empire Super Sprints invaded the 3/8 mile Weedsport, NY oval. Jessica was there with her sprint car team. Just before the evening's start, an unexpected visitor wandered into the pit area- none other than Sprint Cup superstar Tony Stewart. As is frequently his style he showed up unannounced, looking for a ride for the evening's event. A deal was quickly struck for Tony to drive Jessie's backup #14 car (both Jess and Tony are sponsored by Old Spice, so Tony had an "in") Neither had a problem qualifying- Tony has plenty of Sprint Car experience. Long story short, Tony finished an impressive third, behind another local racer, Jason Barney. Great show all around; and Tony was easy-going, friendly, and laid-back as he always has been when he visits the area- and a true, gifted racer at his core. Always a fun guy off the track, and a tough S.O.B. on it.

Oh yeah- Tony was third, Jason second- who won the thing?

Our girl hero Jessie!!

Awesome job outdoing all the guys- and especially 'Smoke'! Gotta love that girl!
                              Proud NON-CASO

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Working...
                              X