Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mercury first, perhaps Lincoln eventually?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bondobilly
    replied
    We did test drive ONE, but noot the one we got. Ellen loves itit will be her vehicle, so....................

Leave a comment:

• ddub
    replied
    Bondo, sounds like you should have taken a longer test drive!

Leave a comment:

• bondobilly
    replied
    We just got the new Lincoln MKT, they call it a crossover, me I call it a station wagon. Not happy with it. I hit my head everytime I enter and exit without thinking ahead. The curve of the A pillar is tooo severe. The information cnsole, computer, etc needs to be brought out 4 to 5 inches and tilted to driver. You cannot change any controls, climate, media, navigation or other things without removing eyes from windshield.
    Engine noise on acceleration is too loud for a $62,000 vehicle. Ride is a bit harsh and car has a tendency to drift.
    You can save close to $15,000 by buying the Ford Edge or whatever that boxy thing is as it is the same platform as the MKT

Leave a comment:

• 8E45E
    replied
    Originally posted by raprice View Post
    I think that Lincoln will be with us for a long time. Ford seems to be on the right track with the MKS from a styling standpoint.
    They can't get rid of Lincoln, old Henry Leland will turn in his grave.
    Rog
    I suspect Henry Leland turned over in his grave when Ford bought Jaguar, Aston Martin, et al. That 'Henry' would have probably improved the Lincoln instead of buying their way into the high-end luxury stakes. Unfortately, most of Lincoln got neglected (except for the Jaguar-based MKS) while Ford had their 'Premium Brands' line. I suspect now that Ford has washed their hands of these foreign marques, they will once again turn their attention to their own in-house luxury marque

Craig

Leave a comment:

• studegary
    replied
    Originally posted by clonelark View Post
    Lincoln has nothing for me at the showrooms, but i do love the Mark viii's. Been looking for just the right one to come along, may have found it if i can get the guy down a bit. 39000 Miles, 1998 Mark viii but he wants $11,900 for it most low mileage ones i have found are around 9 K. might give 9K for this one.
    I really like that series of Lincoln. I would be very leary of purchasing that particular one at any price. I am concerned with how it was probably driven. Those giant wheels and rubber band tires raise a red flag to me (even a "DUB" sticker on it). These cars came standard with a suspension that changed the height of the car.

Leave a comment:

• raprice
    replied
    I think that Lincoln will be with us for a long time. Ford seems to be on the right track with the MKS from a styling standpoint.
    They can't get rid of Lincoln, old Henry Leland will turn in his grave.
    Rog

Leave a comment:

• clonelark
    replied
    Lincoln has nothing for me at the showrooms, but i do love the Mark viii's. Been looking for just the right one to come along, may have found it if i can get the guy down a bit. 39000 Miles, 1998 Mark viii but he wants $11,900 for it most low mileage ones i have found are around 9 K. might give 9K for this one.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Since the people in charge of making decisions about the continued life of existing Nameplates/Marques make their decisions by looking forward, not in the rear view mirror, the survival of what's left really depends upon how quickly the economy returns to a positive forward looking mode. With the mood that investors and executives are in now, everything's on the table for elimination. If this current economic climate continues without something to change it, anything could happen.

It's hard to see how Ford could compete in the luxury market without a Lincoln. Think of Toyota without Lexus and GM without Cadillac. The only way Lincoln could be successfully eliminated is if the people who buy Luxury cars quit buying as many of those types of cars. Lincoln has some sharp models and distinctive styling right now. The MKX comes to mind. But, if GM outdid Ford at anything, it was at the re-establishement of it's Flagship Brand. If the Luxury market shrinks, Lincoln may be odd man out right now. And the economic health of those low-end luxury market buyers has been pelted hard the past 18 months, and frankly, there's nothing on the horizon pointing to better days ahead for those types of buyers.

If things don't get any worse, I think it's highly unlikely Lincoln would go. If 2011 is as bad as some predict, all bets are off.

Leave a comment:

• hotrodstude
    replied
    the last big lincoln looked like a 1950 nash.an upside down bath tub.i was at one of the local car lots when i spotted a 77 nmtown coupe.what a boat,dark brown with tan half vynal roof and leather interior.beautiful shape 400/c-6talk him down to 2,000 dollars but am going back with a cash offer monday or tues. outside the navagator i do not like any of there cars.they need to make a stylish big rwd car.i just love big cars. i know it will not happen so lincoln should be gone in a few years.

Leave a comment:

• 1950 Champion RegalDeluxe
    replied
    I know a lot of people in the 29 year old age group that are looking for a job and are barely getting by right now.

Leave a comment:

• kurtruk
    replied
    Originally posted by aenthal View Post
    How many 29 year olds that you know want a Lincoln Towncar? Compare that to how many buy a Lexus, Mercedes, BMW, or Infiniti.
    BINGO!

Leave a comment:

• aenthal
    replied
    There is a lot more profit per vehicle in luxury cars vs compacts or even standard sedans.
    As a consequence, FoMoCo is not likely to drop the marque.
    But I agree that they have been floundering with it.
    Where is Lincoln's answer to the sporty little mini Cooper, or the Miata, or a sport Lexus?
    Until they get past the lumbering limo and SUV blinders, I think they are doomed to sell fewer and fewer cars as their target customer gets grayer and grayer.
    How many 29 year olds that you know want a Lincoln Towncar? Compare that to how many buy a Lexus, Mercedes, BMW, or Infiniti.

Leave a comment:

• WannaDaytona
    replied
    The problem is the same one that led to Mercury taking a dirt nap. They've been going downhill since they killed off the Continental. They've been coasting along on prom-taxi and Navigator sales for the last ten years and there's nothing in the pipeline to wake up the brand the way Cadillac did with the CTS and XLR. About ten years ago I was invited to participate in a Cadillac ride and drive clinic. With the exception of the DeVille, I preferred the Continental over the STS and the Navigator over the Escalade. Nowadays, they just don't have cars like that. I hope Bob is right and Ford stumbles onto something they can use to wake up the Lincoln line.

Looking at the Taurus, I don't see why they can't blow the platform up a bit and turn it into a new Town Car or Continental. The 88-96 Continental was a stretched Taurus and actually a pretty decent car for what you got, IMHO. Although it was FWD and only came with a six it was still a pretty credible luxury sedan and Ford sold a ton of 'em (and not to limo companies either). What they need is to do something like that to the current Taurus, which is a pretty nice car although it needs a column shift/bench seat package.

Leave a comment:

• bams50
    replied
    Being a lifelong Lincoln guy (grew up in them) I look at them every year. Thus far I have ended up telling the salesperson I didn't want a taxi cab or a Camry clone. They always ask what I'd like to see in a Lincoln and I tell them to go look at Cadillac's lineup. They figured out how to design a decent-sized sedan that says modern and class at the same time. I do somewhat like the new Lincoln station wagon somewhat, but not (yet) enough to buy. I really love the last-gen. Continentals- to me just the right mix of class, power, and style, and right-sized. Unfortunately the last of those was 2002, and nothing built since has compelled me to spend 40 large

That said, Lincoln is a different story. Ford sells mostly bread-and-butter cars, and like most need a 'halo' brand. Part of car brand marketing has always been to give an upscale line for the buyer to aspire to. Traditionally there were steps; i.e. GM had Chevy, then you could move up to Buick, the you could show the world you 'made' it when you got a Cadillac. These days the 'stepping stone' brands seem to be the ones most likely to die. Maybe it's because of lean times- or maybe the marketing experts have determined a step line is no longer needed to build or keep brand loyalty.

Either way, I would really doubt Ford would get rid of their 'image' line; I think every manufacturer still needs one. They'll probably feel their way along for a bit more until they accidentally swerve into a flagship luxury sedan with the attributes from the glory days, only in a modern package. If/when they do, it will be the centerpiece from which they will sell the crossovers, SUVs, trucks, and sport models. I think it's a big mistake for your luxury brand to build a compact- and it always has proven to be the case (Versailles, Cimarron, etc.). Please, Lincoln, let 'em have a Focus, and get to work on what you should be building!

This Lincoln guy is REALLY rooting for Ford to get Lincoln back to what it was many moons ago- luxurious, unapologetic class, power and style. I'll be watching... as will my checkbook

Leave a comment:

• 56H-Y6
    started a topic Mercury first, perhaps Lincoln eventually?

Mercury first, perhaps Lincoln eventually?

Hi

Now that Ford management is ending the Mercury nameplate, will Lincoln eventually follow? Perhaps, should they continue the current course.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...962482272.html

As a kid, Lincoln was my main passion, fell absolutely in love with the '61 Lincoln Continentals, especially the convertible sedan, in November '60. Unhappily, subsequent designs and models slowly diminished that love until it went completely away in the '80's. Each successive Lincoln became less a unique and desirable car and more just a dolled-up Ford. Seems if the current car buyers have come to the same view.

How I'd love to see a Lincoln again with the wonderful design content and unique appeal of the '61. I seriously doubt if that will ever happen again with the management attitude displayed by Bill Ford's comment.

Steve
Working...
X