Move over rhubarb pie- here come the gooseberry pie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Move over rhubarb pie- here come the gooseberry pie

I have a couple gooseberry bushes. Last week I picked a couple quarts of berries with many more left on the bushes. Wife promised me a gooseberry pie. Finally tonight she got it made. Problem is it's still too hot to eat and it's past my bedtime. Why the delay? She's been too busy making blueberry pies from our blueberries and too busy canning green beans from the 10 or so gallons I have picked so far.
    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

I got mulberries, Wanna trade? Steve
    sigpic

Comment

I'm confident that I'm in the minority, but just love gooseberry pie. tempestan

Comment

I'm confident that I'm in the minority, but just love gooseberry pie.
        Count me in!
        Love it tart!
        The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

I got elderberries. Never developed a taste for the pie but I've made some pretty jammin' jellies. Once, when the jelly didn't set as it should, I made a batch of vanilla ice cream custard with cream cheese in the mix. Then swirled in the unset wild elderberry jelly.
          WOW! WOW! WOW!
          "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

I have strawberries and rhubarb...

Comment

Anyone not wanting a rhubarb pie may feel free to send it to me. Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by BobGlasscock View Post
                Anyone not wanting a rhubarb pie may feel free to send it to me. Thank you!
                Bob: Being aware of your fondness for rhubarb pie I think of your interest whenever we buy it so my wife can make it for my son and me. It probably would not hold up very well in shipping across the country. I prefer mine without strawberries and with a dip of vanilla ice cream. Just wish it was more easily available in Texas.
                "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

What you need in those berry pies to keep them from boiling over in the oven is a Pie Bird.

Comment

OMG, those Pie Birds are attacking the Golden Hawk!

Comment

Ahhh....Gooseberry Pie!!! Lucky duck....

Comment

Bob, thanks for thoughts. I do believe you do think of my fondness for rhubarb often. And I agree that it wouldn't stand up for the shipping.

That thanks given, I shall continue to "cry in my beer" whenever the topic comes up.

Comment

Well I've been picking Black Berries behind the house and ODing on them,"though nothing in this world compares to rhubarb pie!!!
                          Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

This is a berry interesting thread. Not too crusty, with just the right amount of filling.

Comment

Just remembered that some of my friends are "rhubarb pushers" (but mine is MINE, all mine) It starts with the late night phone calls, "meet you out in the parking lot, about noon" and then the plastic wrapped ("sticks" to some, "stalks" to others) change hands and are quickly shoved into paper bags in trunks, and then they return to work, ready to deny to all those 'needing a fix' that they scored some of 'the big red 'uns'. Its an addiction, alright. <g>

Comment

Working...
                              X