Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A BIG Packard

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1955-...item2a0810bd34

Nice car indeed. Paint Code "V", as seen on the Serial Number plate, is indeed solid Corsican Black, so it's a rare, monotone Caribbean. BIN might be a little tall with the work it needs (dual quad setup is not on the car and only partially furnished, mainly), but it sure is a pretty car. (Eat your hearts out, Cadillac Eldorado owners...your car doesn't ride half this smooth...) BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I'd drive it

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

I am surprized Jay Leno hasn't grabbed it yet.
        Alex Nelsen, certified Studebaker nut.
        Driving a 1954 Champion Coupe powered by a Chrysler 383.
        Lizella, GA

Comment

Just by chance I stumbled across a show on PBS on Packards friday night. Recorded the show less the first 20 minutes that had started. Very well done and factual to the best of my knowledge.
          59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
          60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
          61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
          62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
          62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
          62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
          63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
          63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
          64 Zip Van
          66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
          66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Always one of my dream cars since it came out, I'll never own one unless I win the lottery. BP any guess on the final price?
            Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
            50 Champion 2 door*
            53 Commander K Auto*
            53 Commander K overdrive*
            55 President Speedster
            62 GT 4Speed*
            63 Avanti R1*
            64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Originally posted by ddub View Post
              Always one of my dream cars since it came out, I'll never own one unless I win the lottery. BP any guess on the final price?
              Good Question, Don! The bidding might get close to $50,000 and if it does, the owner would be wise to sell. ('Don't know what the reserve is.)

As I said, if you read between the lines, it will cost an additonal, modest fortune to again make this car "right." They all came with dual quads and the batwing air cleaner. It sounds like the car is operating on a single quad with a dual-quad manifold and an additional carb included. So who knows if the carb on and the carb furnished are the correct ones needed to restore the dual quad setup. The seller isn't saying, and may not even know.

And of course, all the small pieces will have to be located on the new owner's dime. The seller is properly up front with that, so there should be no issues as to honesty.

But that doesn't prevent someone unfamiliar with the rarity of the "lost" small parts from getting carried away bidding and then finding out what it will take to make it right after he gets it home.

It's just like someone selling a 1957 or 1958 Golden Hawk running on a later 2-bbl manifold and carb. In those cases, the seller sometimes says they have "the supercharger for it," and maybe the water pump manifold adapter and the original carb and base and box, but you are on your own to find the crank pulley, the belt tensioner, and all the linkage and other parts (ugh). BP
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
              "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Nice car with interesting history also . . I would want too see before photos of car before restro if possible if i was a serious buyer- - I`m not into any cars with new body panels installed . .
                Easy fixer for me and , "sssshhhhh" I even have a batwing for that car . . . .

Comment

Only a day left and still at 30k which seems fair,if it could be bought for that.Compared to a 55 Chyrsler 300C it seems downright cheap. This car would have the 374 would it not Bob P? Wonder if he would take a Model A on trade?

Comment

Originally posted by Transtar56 View Post
                    Only a day left and still at 30k which seems fair,if it could be bought for that.Compared to a 55 Chyrsler 300C it seems downright cheap. This car would have the 374 would it not Bob P? Wonder if he would take a Model A on trade?
                    Yes, all "senior" 1956 Packards had the 374 engine. Single 4-bbl on Patricians and 400s (290 HP); dual 4 bbls on Caribbeans (310 HP). All 1956 Clippers had the 352 engine carried over from 1955; 2bbl carb on Clipper Supers and DeLuxes (240 HP); 4 bbl carb on Clipper Customs (275 HP). When the mid-year Packard Executive replaced the Clipper Custom, the Executive retained the Clipper Custom's 352/4-bbl engine.

Trivia: The 1956 Caribbean 374 produced 405 foot pounds of torque, the highest in the industry in 1956. Even the Chrysler 300B (385 ft/lb) and Cadillac dual-quad Eldorado (400 ft/lb), could not match the Packard 374....which may help explain why the 374 Packard was so good at ruining the Twin Ultramatic transmissions behind it! <GGG> BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

We participated in a car show yesterday that also had a mostly original 55 Caribbean convertible present. It had one carburator and the sign read 352- 275hp
                      What is going on here? Should have questioned the owner I guess.
                      Frank van Doorn
                      Omaha, Ne.
                      1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
                      1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
                      1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

...which may help explain why the 374 Packard was so good at ruining the Twin Ultramatic transmissions behind it!
                        Thanks Bob! I suppose a manual transmission COULD have been ordered,but doubt that any came that way. The ultra-matic is a bit scary (expensive to rebuild),in an otherwise dreamboat car. Id rather have one of these than a 300,and I love 300's.

Comment

Another quick question. Those hood scoops were functional,were they not?

Comment

The grand old queen of the highway ended at 35600.

Comment

Originally posted by Transtar56 View Post
                              Thanks Bob! I suppose a manual transmission COULD have been ordered,but doubt that any came that way. The ultra-matic is a bit scary (expensive to rebuild),in an otherwise dreamboat car. Id rather have one of these than a 300,and I love 300's.
                              Yes, there is at least one documented 1955 Caribbean that was built with a special-order manual transmission with overdrive, and Ill bet there were a couple others. BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

Working...
                              X