• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Ole' Packard

Saw this in my travels today and thought some here would enjoy it. Steve
    Attached Files
    sigpic

Poor saggy trailer! That's quite a load, no doubt.
    KURTRUK
    (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Former ambulance or hearse?
      Looks to truckish to be a limo.
      63 Avanti R1 2788
      1914 Stutz Bearcat
      (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

It is easy to "under-estimate" how heavy some of those old Packards are. In my little old town of Greer, SC, there used to be one of the premier antique upholstery shops in the nation. I was there once when a big hauler delivered one of those magnificent old Packards of the '30's. It had come all the way from somewhere near Hollywood, Ca. When the big Packard was unloaded...the weight lifted the cab of that big hauler about six feet into the air. The one pictured here looks as if it should be pulling that trailer and not riding on it.
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by JBOYLE View Post
          Former ambulance or hearse?
          Looks to truckish to be a limo.
          I think you are right but it has seats all the way back and a divider with a 60's? air conditioning unit stuck in it between the driver and passengers area now. It was HUGE inside and out. I would guess that trailer was 18'. There were several old cars around it, some with For Sale signs but there was also a note on the door that said Please do not disturb, night worker and I am asleep or words to that effect. Having done night work before I can relate and respected his request. I would liked to have seen more of this one and another 2 cars he had there but didnt want to be that intrusive so I snapped a few pics and left. I have no idea what the packard is worth but suspect it is out of my play range anyway. I may stop and leave him a note Sat about another car he has and if he responds I will ask for more info. Steve
          sigpic

Comment

I see no evidence it was a professional car. The rear side doors on a hearse would be wider and there's no evidence of siren or light mounts for an ambulance.
            Could well be an estate wagon, though, that would probably have a split rear gate.
            "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

This could have been a special Hotel transport vehicle. Back in the day, some of the big hotels maintained their own passenger transports to ferry important guest back and forth to the train depot.
              John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

The car is a 1938 or 1939 Packard from what I can tell. This car is a Henney commercial vehicle built on a Packard commercial chassis.

John S.
                Last edited by Packard53; 06-10-2010, 09:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X