X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bams50
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by ISpy

Here is what you do: Tell them you are trade, you do property management(JDP property mangement has a nice ring) and want to buy on a cash trade account. Dont wear your Sunday go to meetin' clothes,look the working man part. BS with them just like your parts guys,complain about your lousy boss/rotten tenants etc. One nice thing about saying you are property manager/handyman is you are an expert on nothing. Sometimes they will even help if you need advice because "that rotten SOB expects me to be able to fix everything". As many times parts guys seem to want to be field guys they relish a chance to do that and be a little superior.

Sometimes they talk about a credit account, I am too busy/too small/ need the part right now but wont you please let me have the paperwork for next time ? Only time I had a problem was Granigers and it was more cause the clerk was an ass I think. I walked with my part and the promise of paperwork..ooppss just remembered...

I have never been asked for a card, I used a former bosses company name and #,now I would just use whatever and my cell. You could print em on the comp if you wanted.

But isn't that lying?

I'd rather be honest; and as we've seen in this thread, you can do quite well using the 'net. And a lot easier.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Leave a comment:

• BubbaBear
    replied
    The igniter in our dryer went out and we considered a new dryer since it was over 25 years old. But not wanting the hassle of moving the old one out and a new one in we decided to fix the old one more time. The price of an igniter at the local Marcone a national appliance parts distributor was $38. We checked the Internet. Found it for $12 plus $4 shipping. Not being in a hurry and not wanting to take off work to drive over and pick it up we ordered it about 4 PM. It arrived about 10 AM the next morning. The funny thing about it is the address was the same as the Marcone distributor that had it for $38. Evidently they have a Internet business from the same address selling a lot cheaper and shipping out the same day. Being in the same city we got it the next.

Leave a comment:

• ISpy
    replied
    Well now I can finally give JDP a bit of advice after he has always been kind enough to answer my offline queries.

They sell wholesale to trade because trade is expected to retail to the public so you can get screwed 2 ways !

Here is what you do: Tell them you are trade, you do property management(JDP property mangement has a nice ring) and want to buy on a cash trade account. Dont wear your Sunday go to meetin' clothes,look the working man part. BS with them just like your parts guys,complain about your lousy boss/rotten tenants etc. One nice thing about saying you are property manager/handyman is you are an expert on nothing. Sometimes they will even help if you need advice because "that rotten SOB expects me to be able to fix everything". As many times parts guys seem to want to be field guys they relish a chance to do that and be a little superior.

Sometimes they talk about a credit account, I am too busy/too small/ need the part right now but wont you please let me have the paperwork for next time ? Only time I had a problem was Granigers and it was more cause the clerk was an ass I think. I walked with my part and the promise of paperwork..ooppss just remembered...

I have never been asked for a card, I used a former bosses company name and #,now I would just use whatever and my cell. You could print em on the comp if you wanted.

As for A/C parts the only thing you cant get is anything dealing with the freon, like the units,need a license. Fan motors etc no prob.

N8N if you every need a hand at Tribles,you drive me there in your Stude and I will get you whatever at trade ! Well even not in the Stude...

Let me know if anyone needs more info...

Leave a comment:

• bams50
    replied
    Good tip, Vegas- I find that frequently true with all kinds of businesses that have websites. Check it out before you buy![8D]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Leave a comment:

• vegas paul
    replied
    For those of you that occasionally buy a tool at Harbor Freight (I know, not the best quality and definitely unpatriotic to buy Chinese, but what are you going to do?)... go onto their website before making any purchase. Often, the online price is lower than the store price, and they honor the online price if you print it out and bring it in. However, no one in the store will tell you that it's cheaper online.

Las Vegas, NV - Stop by, coffee's on!
    '51 Champion Business Coupe G899965 10G-Q4-1434

Leave a comment:

• Guido
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

The speeling airrers hear half mee mortarfied![|)]
    If mortars are coming your way, I can only tell you to dig in and duck.

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful" and real Studebaker horsepower lives

See pictures here: http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Leave a comment:

• Roscomacaw
    replied
    The speeling airrers hear half mee mortarfied![|)]

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President two door

Leave a comment:

• BobGlasscock
    replied
    Dang Rockne, you beat me!

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Leave a comment:

• DEEPNHOCK
    replied
    When I bought this house my mostest excellent real estate 'buyers broker' (Lee Skelly) helped us with all the paperwork and stuff and made a few bucks on the deal..
    So he paid it forward and bought us a home warranty.
    Since we have been here, the one a/c unit (we have two) inside air handler coil sprung an irrepairable leak and they replaced the inside unit.
    Cost me $65 for the initial service call, and $250 for the custom ductwork and old unit disposal.
    Then, they replaced the second unit outside unit.
    Paid $65 for that service call.
    Then, the new unit morked up.
    They now had to replace everything on that one because everything is now seer 13 (or something like that)
    They swapped out both the inside air handler and the outside unit.
    My cost?
    $100 to dispose of all the old stuff.
    Didn't have to pay for the service call, because the failed unit was within the original warranty period, and they were the ones that chose the equipment to install.
    I have to admit, this home warranty has been a good deal...so far...
    Jeff[8D]

Leave a comment:

• rockne10
    replied
    quote: JDP, I hate to be a stickkaller for acracy, but "Mortor" is supposed to be spelled "Mortar".
    stickkaller for acracy[)]

Leave a comment:

• Roscomacaw
    replied
    LOL! That's funny!

Just a month ago, our 5-year old unit died. I troubleshot it and realized the compressor was fried. Called around locally - they all quoted $1400 for the compressor + installation. I bought a new compressor online outta Texas. $560 delivered. Paid a local tech $440 for installation and have been cool ever since!

BTW, this tech was suspect of the compressor (or acted that way) and of course, made CERTAIN that I understood HE wouldn't warrant it if it died. In the end he DID sell me a start capacitor for the evaporator motor - it was like he HAD to sell me at least SOME little part to feel good about the situation. So, I let him sell me the $12 dollar capacitor.

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President two door

Leave a comment:

• JDP
    replied
    OK, Mortar. BTW, drove myself crazy fixing the AC. After installing the motor, the unit would not come on. Checked my wiring a dozen times and gave up and just put it back together. Just as I was about to call the service guy, the darn thing came on. Turns out the box installed by the electric company decided to do it's peak power saving cut out while I was doing my repair.

JDP/Maryland
    "I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
    Thomas Jefferson

Leave a comment:

• torker
    replied
    JDP, I hate to be a stickkaller for acracy, but "Mortor" is supposed to be spelled "Mortar". Bless You, though. Having been an HVAC tech at one point, I can tell you that the trade tries hard to protect their own, by making access to affordable replacement parts difficult. DYI's are not always welcome. If you don't have an account at a major supply house, you may not be able to purchase parts at any price. York brand is especially noted for this....they protect their dealers who do lucrative service work. But, there are always some HVAC supply businesses that will accomodate the general public. Johnstone Supply is one of them, last I knew.... I don't know if they are in your particular area...but there is bound to be someone. Good Luck

Leave a comment:

• 8E45E
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by 65cruiser

A few months ago, the dryer motor failed on my 20 year old Maytag dryer. Now, I really hate the thought of making that Maytag repair guy even more lonely[^] but figured this was really something I could fix myself. I called my local Handyman appliance parts depot and found the motor was $158.00. Checked on Ebay and found the same motor, Buy It Now for $49.00. Hit the Buy It Now, and had it in hand in 2 days. It's perfect.

There are a few things that have running changes or 'different' parts inside for the sake of being different. A perfect example is Moen faucets. I work at a plumbing store on Saturdays that specializes in repair parts for all the major US and European brand faucets and fixtures, and when a phone inquiry comes in, we ALWAYS tell the customer to bring in the part if he can. Its the best identifier there is. And believe it or not, Home Depot is our 'best' customer. They don't have, or care to have the staff necessary with the knowledge for individual repair parts, so they simply send them to us!

Craig

Leave a comment:

• 65cruiser
    replied
    A few months ago, the dryer motor failed on my 20 year old Maytag dryer. Now, I really hate the thought of making that Maytag repair guy even more lonely[^] but figured this was really something I could fix myself. I called my local Handyman appliance parts depot and found the motor was $158.00. Checked on Ebay and found the same motor, Buy It Now for $49.00. Hit the Buy It Now, and had it in hand in 2 days. It's perfect.

Anymore, online is the only way to fly, particularly if you can fix the item yourself.

Mark Anderson
    Member SDC and FMCA
    Keeper of the Studebaker Cruiser Registry
    www.65cruiser.com

Leave a comment:

Working...
X