This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brick and mortor stores

My York home AC units condenser fan motor started screaming so I went online to search out the correct part. With the part number in hand, I stated calling the local parts places with the same result "wholesale only" One place offered to sell the motor for $295 and $125 service call. I don't mind trying to help a local business, but decided the $100 price online was a better choice. I would have paid maybe $50 or more just to avoid waiting a day, but 3 times the money and they still would not sell it to me ?

JDP/Maryland
    "I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
    Thomas Jefferson

You're probably the rare customer who wants to install his own parts, but still - as the wise man once said, "something is better than nothing." I'd rather have the money for the part and lose the labor than get nothing at all. Shows how some companies cut off their noses to spite their face.

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
    '63 F2/Lark Standard
    http://studeblogger.blogspot.com
    www.studebakersandiego.com

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

I've said before, I no longer buy much of anything anymore without checking online first, starting with eBay. The price difference can be HUGE.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
      Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

I had the same experience with Trible's earlier this year, needed some circuit boards for two appliances that got damaged by a power surge. I'd tried to call two stores but at both of them their computer systems were down. I shot off an email to them through their web site with exact specs of what I needed and got a terse response literally a week later "we don't carry that" from someone who clearly had only skimmed my email (they told me they didn't carry parts for "company X" when that was the manufacturer of the circuit board that I needed, not the appliance)

In the meantime I'd already ordered the parts online and they arrived maybe a day or two after the email response. I usually try Trible's first but geez... they're TRYING to lose my business.

As an aside, Dominion Power really didn't give me the warm fuzzies with that experience; I'm glad that I repaired the stuff myself rather than having repairmen handle it, otherwise I would have been hurting. Their response to an inquiry about a claim was basically "we investigated what happened, a tree fell on a high voltage power line and shorted it to a low voltage line, well, that's not really our fault so we absolve ourselves of all responsibility. You do have insurance, right?" Well, yeah, I do, but deductibles are still expensive... and don't they inspect their lines and clear trees, etc.?

nate

--
        55 Commander Starlight
        http://members.cox.net/njnagel
        --
        55 Commander Starlight
        http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

A few months ago, the dryer motor failed on my 20 year old Maytag dryer. Now, I really hate the thought of making that Maytag repair guy even more lonely[^] but figured this was really something I could fix myself. I called my local Handyman appliance parts depot and found the motor was $158.00. Checked on Ebay and found the same motor, Buy It Now for $49.00. Hit the Buy It Now, and had it in hand in 2 days. It's perfect.

Anymore, online is the only way to fly, particularly if you can fix the item yourself.

Mark Anderson
          Member SDC and FMCA
          Keeper of the Studebaker Cruiser Registry
          www.65cruiser.com

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 65cruiser

A few months ago, the dryer motor failed on my 20 year old Maytag dryer. Now, I really hate the thought of making that Maytag repair guy even more lonely[^] but figured this was really something I could fix myself. I called my local Handyman appliance parts depot and found the motor was $158.00. Checked on Ebay and found the same motor, Buy It Now for $49.00. Hit the Buy It Now, and had it in hand in 2 days. It's perfect.

There are a few things that have running changes or 'different' parts inside for the sake of being different. A perfect example is Moen faucets. I work at a plumbing store on Saturdays that specializes in repair parts for all the major US and European brand faucets and fixtures, and when a phone inquiry comes in, we ALWAYS tell the customer to bring in the part if he can. Its the best identifier there is. And believe it or not, Home Depot is our 'best' customer. They don't have, or care to have the staff necessary with the knowledge for individual repair parts, so they simply send them to us!

Craig

Comment

JDP, I hate to be a stickkaller for acracy, but "Mortor" is supposed to be spelled "Mortar". Bless You, though. Having been an HVAC tech at one point, I can tell you that the trade tries hard to protect their own, by making access to affordable replacement parts difficult. DYI's are not always welcome. If you don't have an account at a major supply house, you may not be able to purchase parts at any price. York brand is especially noted for this....they protect their dealers who do lucrative service work. But, there are always some HVAC supply businesses that will accomodate the general public. Johnstone Supply is one of them, last I knew.... I don't know if they are in your particular area...but there is bound to be someone. Good Luck

Comment

OK, Mortar. BTW, drove myself crazy fixing the AC. After installing the motor, the unit would not come on. Checked my wiring a dozen times and gave up and just put it back together. Just as I was about to call the service guy, the darn thing came on. Turns out the box installed by the electric company decided to do it's peak power saving cut out while I was doing my repair.

JDP/Maryland
                "I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
                Thomas Jefferson
                JDP Maryland

Comment

LOL! That's funny!

Just a month ago, our 5-year old unit died. I troubleshot it and realized the compressor was fried. Called around locally - they all quoted $1400 for the compressor + installation. I bought a new compressor online outta Texas. $560 delivered. Paid a local tech $440 for installation and have been cool ever since!

BTW, this tech was suspect of the compressor (or acted that way) and of course, made CERTAIN that I understood HE wouldn't warrant it if it died. In the end he DID sell me a start capacitor for the evaporator motor - it was like he HAD to sell me at least SOME little part to feel good about the situation. So, I let him sell me the $12 dollar capacitor.

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                  1960 Larkvertible V8
                  1958 Provincial wagon
                  1953 Commander coupe
                  1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

quote: JDP, I hate to be a stickkaller for acracy, but "Mortor" is supposed to be spelled "Mortar".
                    stickkaller for acracy[)]
                    "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                    sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

When I bought this house my mostest excellent real estate 'buyers broker' (Lee Skelly) helped us with all the paperwork and stuff and made a few bucks on the deal..
                      So he paid it forward and bought us a home warranty.
                      Since we have been here, the one a/c unit (we have two) inside air handler coil sprung an irrepairable leak and they replaced the inside unit.
                      Cost me $65 for the initial service call, and $250 for the custom ductwork and old unit disposal.
                      Then, they replaced the second unit outside unit.
                      Paid $65 for that service call.
                      Then, the new unit morked up.
                      They now had to replace everything on that one because everything is now seer 13 (or something like that)
                      They swapped out both the inside air handler and the outside unit.
                      My cost?
                      $100 to dispose of all the old stuff.
                      Didn't have to pay for the service call, because the failed unit was within the original warranty period, and they were the ones that chose the equipment to install.
                      I have to admit, this home warranty has been a good deal...so far...
                      Jeff[8D]

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Dang Rockne, you beat me!

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

The speeling airrers hear half mee mortarfied![|)]

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                          1960 Larkvertible V8
                          1958 Provincial wagon
                          1953 Commander coupe
                          1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

The speeling airrers hear half mee mortarfied![|)]
                            If mortars are coming your way, I can only tell you to dig in and duck.

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful" and real Studebaker horsepower lives

See pictures here: http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.
                            Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

For those of you that occasionally buy a tool at Harbor Freight (I know, not the best quality and definitely unpatriotic to buy Chinese, but what are you going to do?)... go onto their website before making any purchase. Often, the online price is lower than the store price, and they honor the online price if you print it out and bring it in. However, no one in the store will tell you that it's cheaper online.

Las Vegas, NV - Stop by, coffee's on!
                              '51 Champion Business Coupe G899965 10G-Q4-1434

Comment

Working...
                              X