X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BobPalma
    replied
    All kidding aside, Matt: With your age and attitude, you'll be able to own, or at least manage, your own store some day...and will enjoy excellent repeat business.

Like the man said, "You'll never have to work a day in your life if you enjoy what you do for a living."

Keep up the good work. BP

Leave a comment:

• JBOYLE
    replied
    Well done on finding the parts for something like the guy's old Jeep.

When I was restoring my Bearcat, I obviously couldn't answer the question "What's it off of?", so I relied on guys like yourself who could take the time and ID the part.

You're a credit to your company and the hobby.

63 Avanti R1 2788
    1914 Stutz Bearcat
    (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Leave a comment:

• mbstude
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by BobGlasscock

It just occurred to me, Matthew, that you ARE the old man in the back of the store. And that is a really big compliment in my opinion.
    We had a guy come in yesterday needing a carb kit for his '46 Jeep. It was a pleasure to dig up parts for something like that, I got to finally use the books! I thanked him for giving me the opportunity, I'd been wondering if anyone would ever need parts for something old.

And yes, I found him a kit for his Carter WO. [8D]

Matthew Burnette
    Hazlehurst, GA

Leave a comment:

• BobGlasscock
    replied
    It just occurred to me, Matthew, that you ARE the old man in the back of the store. And that is a really big compliment in my opinion.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Leave a comment:

• BobPalma
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by mbstude

1953-1966. [?]

It's a pity that the only make I'm knowledgeable about is defunct... [)]

Matthew Burnette
    BINGO! Very good, Matt...but remember, the 1953 Buick Special (only) still used the in-line OHV eight for one last year...in 1953, only the Supers and Roadmasters got the new Nailhead. BP

Leave a comment:

• mbstude
    replied
    1953-1966. [?]

It's a pity that the only make I'm knowledgeable about is defunct... [)]

Matthew Burnette
    Hazlehurst, GA

Leave a comment:

• BobPalma
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by mbstude

Hey, at least the Nailheads are cool!

Matthew Burnette
    OK, Matthew; I'm gonna test you: What was the last production year any domestic Buick used the Nailhead V-8? (See, this is kind of an open-book test: You can go look up the answer before posting it!) BP

Leave a comment:

• BobPalma
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by Mark57

Bob, In principle I would agree with your comments, but remember those folks who created the recent car rental ad are trying to get people to rent their cars, they probably care very little about automotive history. TV and film making are all about entertainment and selling products, not historical reality.

Mark
    Absolutely, Mark. The execs could care less...in fact, if you pointed out the 1960/1962 discrepancy to them, they'd yawn and go with it anyway! BP

Leave a comment:

• Mark57
    replied
    Bob, In principle I would agree with your comments, but remember those folks who created the recent car rental ad are trying to get people to rent their cars, they probably care very little about automotive history. TV and film making are all about entertainment and selling products, not historical reality.

<h5>Mark
    '57 Transtar Deluxe
    Vancouver Island

Are you planning to attend the NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
    May 23 & 24, 2009?
    </h5>

Leave a comment:

• 52-fan
    replied
    It certainly does not help to look too closely at the years of autos in some of the History Channel presentations. The narration is usually good, but they really mess up the cars! You will often see 1930s cars or the like when they are talking about the Roaring 20s. I hope that they are just using what footage they have, but maybe they don't know better. If I think about it too much it just raises my blood pressure.
    The average person is not expected to notice. It's like the Viet Nam era jeep with an independent front suspension that John Wayne rides off the pier in the movie "In Harm's Way". I'll have to admit that I missed it myself the first time. A friend of mine who was into warbirds was always pointing out airplanes that were doctored to look like enemy planes in war movies. I usually didn't know any different.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, both w/overdrive.Searcy,Arkansas
    "I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."

Leave a comment:

• lstude
    replied
    They need someone like Matthew on the History Channel. I was watching the story of the Jeep and they stated that the Jeep had the first all steel station wagon and they showed a picture of a 60s Wagoneer.

Leonard Shepherd
    http://leonardshepherd.com/

Leave a comment:

• HookedonStudies
    replied
    I couldn't agree with you more Bob, however with all due respect, do you really think that the same Ad execs on Madison Avenue who can't tell a '62 Buick from a '60, would recognize the abundantly obvious talent and common sense of a young man such as "our" Matthew?
    In my experience with the global/corporate world, common sense is valued inversely proportionate to one's "GQ pedigree." ...Sad but true. (writer sets down his steaming cup of Ghiradelli Chocolate Carmel flavored coffee, sighs... and hits "enter")

55 Commander
    58 Transtar
    62 GT Hawk
    66 Cruiser

Leave a comment:

• barnlark
    replied
    Had that very thing happen on a movie set here in the spring. The young crew was screwing on a blue and yellow California license plate on a '56 Pontiac for an early sixties era scene. I told them I had a few correct black and yellow plates in my garage and they exclaimed "no one will know that." They aren't all MB's, for sure.

Leave a comment:

• mbstude
    replied
    Thanks Mr, Palma, now I have to go read up on Buicks... [)]

Hey, at least the Nailheads are cool!

Matthew Burnette
    Hazlehurst, GA

Leave a comment:

Guest started a topic Why the World needs more Matthew Burnettes

Why the World needs more Matthew Burnettes

'Anyone else notice the Hertz "We Put You in The Drivers Seat" advertisement of late, harkening back to the days when drivers fell into the driver seat of a convertible as it sped along?

The current ad opens with old-timey black-and-white footage of a business-suited driver falling out of the sky into the driver seat of a 1960 Buick convertible. The caption on the bottom simply says, "1962," implying this is a 1962 advertisement.

Yeah, right; would Hertz have been using a 1960 automobile in a 1962 advertisement? Of course not; consumers were extremely model-year-conscience back then and it would have been a major faux pas to use a 1960 automobile in 1962 advertising.

Then I got to thinking; who prepared this 2008 advertisement? Right; young-'uns in their late 20s or early 30s who wouldn't know a 1960 Buick from a 1962 Buick if their next cup of Starbucks cappuccino depended on it.

So that's why the world needs more intelligent youngsters like our Matthew Burnette, who certainly wouldn't mistake a domestic 1960 anything for a 1962 model. (Well, Matthew; if writing for Turning Wheels doesn't prove too lucrative, you can probably get a job in a fancy advertising agency!) BP
Working...
X