X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I love ebay listers

I justs got a good chuckle out of this one:

http://tinyurl.com/5ltsz9

Seller lists a "rare" stop light switch for '59 -61 Studes.

Of course, these are not rare, they're being repopped.

But what's even funnier is that it's not a stop light switch. In fact, the box clearly states "Hill Holder".

Sometimes you just gotta laugh!

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
    '63 F2/Lark Standard
    http://studeblogger.blogspot.com
    www.studebakersandiego.com

"Rare" is a relative term... it is rare in comparison to, say, fish in the sea[)] One of the most over-used sales terms in the entire hobby[xx(]

I wonder what the thought process was to call it that, with the name printed clearly on the box- and in the seller's own picture- AND DESCRIPTION! We do need a dunce-cap smilie here.......

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

What would a hill holder switch be? Never heard of that.

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

What would a hill holder switch be? Never heard of that.
        Me neither. It could be a switch for the anti-creep devices on early automatics (I've never looked at one).

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
        '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
        '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
        '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
        Museum R-4 engine
        1962 Gravely Model L (Studebaker-Packard serial plate)
        1972 Gravely Model 430 (Studebaker name plate, Studebaker Onan engine)
        Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
        '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Even better, the box is labelled "ignition parts" (which would seem to have nothing to do with either a brake light switch or a hill holder) and the small print on the side says it's for 59 - 61 Studebakers and Larks - so its not for an early vehicle. [8)]

<h5>Mark
          '57 Transtar Deluxe
          Vancouver Island

Are you planning to attend the NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
          May 23 & 24, 2009?
          </h5>
          Mark Hayden
          '66 Commander
          Zone Coordinator
          Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mark57

[teal][size=3][font=Comic Sans MS]Even better, the box is labelled "ignition parts" (which would seem to have nothing to do with either a brake light switch or a hill holder)
            But Mark, it clearly says on the side "hill holder switch"... so what exactly is it?

I never heard of one either, but given my limited Stude knowledge, that's not worth much.

Anyone recognize the part or the number??

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
            Parish, central NY 13131

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bams50
              But Mark, it clearly says on the side "hill holder switch"... so what exactly is it?

Robert (Bob) Andrews
              That was my point Bob... The box says "Ignition Parts" [u]and</u> "Hill Holder Switch". Apparently even the company that made this piece had no idea what it was! [}][:0]

<h5>Mark
              '57 Transtar Deluxe
              Vancouver Island

May 23 & 24, 2009?
              </h5>
              Mark Hayden
              '66 Commander
              Zone Coordinator
              Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

Well, I ain't no expert, but that looks exactly like the brake light switch that is on the rear end of my hill holder cylinder on my '50 Champion. I've sort of been wondering why ya'll were making fun when it seemed so obvious to me. I don't get it. It doesn't look like a brake light switch to you guys? Really?

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

I have no idea what a 50 Stude hill holder brake light switch looks like; didn't even know there was such a thing. As I said, inexperience in my case.

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

What Bams said goes for me, too [:I][B)]

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
                    '63 F2/Lark Standard
                    http://studeblogger.blogspot.com
                    www.studebakersandiego.com

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

About the Anti-Creep switch. By '59, I doubt many Stude automatics were being sold with that option, but it WAS available. It consisted of an electrical solenoid that would hold pressure in the brake line. This pressure was released when you stepped on the accelerator and in doing so, released a small spring-loaded switch on the accelerator bellcrank which in turn de-activated the solenoid and let the brakes free.

Many suppliers of this era listed ALL their electrical components in their "Ignition" catalog. I have a NAPA catalog for older cars that was printed in the 70s. It's titled "Ignition Parts", but there's brake light switches, starter solenoids and lots of other non-ignition electrical parts listed.

What I find kinda comical about this particular part is the applications on the end flap of the box. There's a listing for Lark and a listing for Studebaker. As tho the two were different![8]

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                      1960 Larkvertible V8
                      1958 Provincial wagon
                      1953 Commander coupe
                      1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Well, we have to find some way to entertain ourselves... [}]

<h5>Mark
                        '57 Transtar Deluxe
                        Vancouver Island

May 23 & 24, 2009?
                        </h5>
                        Mark Hayden
                        '66 Commander
                        Zone Coordinator
                        Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

Not even close to a brake light switch, mot a clue as to what it fits.

JDP/Maryland
                          "I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
                          Thomas Jefferson
                          JDP Maryland

Comment

Makes you wonder if that's even the switch that belongs in that box. It's obviously got two screws to attach wires to - that sure ain't how a Stude switch attaches - actually not ANY pressure switch or sensor that I've ever seen on a Stude.

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                            1960 Larkvertible V8
                            1958 Provincial wagon
                            1953 Commander coupe
                            1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
                            X