This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ebay sales-Studebakers

Has anybody else checked the finished listings. I have been watching and counting the # of cars actually sold. I've found that out of a page of 50 listings only about 7 on average actually have sold. So I don't really think that ebay is a very good source for real pricing of Studebakers.

studedick from the lower Ozarks

I also notice a number of relists so there are a number of cars that appear to be sold and then the deal falls through - so the sold figure is even less.

<h5>Mark
    '57 Transtar Deluxe
    Vancouver Island

Are you planning to attend the NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
    May 23 & 24, 2009?
    </h5>
    Mark Hayden
    '66 Commander
    Zone Coordinator
    Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

Hard to say, Dick. But I think it's a good sampling of what the market is for a given car at a given point in time. One factor, though, is the quality of the presentation in the listing- that can affect what a car is bid to greatly... in either direction.

The "sold" percentage will always be low because so many times what a seller thinks their car is worth is driven in part by emotion, or what somebody (like the person that sold it to them, for instance!) told them- or Barrett-Jackson syndrome... any of which will give the seller an unrealistic value of their car. Another factor that is big with Studes in particular is the idea that rarity always equals value... it doesn't[|)]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
      Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

I have noticed that not all cars listed for sale show up on the completed list after the bidding has ended.

[img][/img]
        34 STUDEBAKER STREET ROD
        55 SPEEDSTER (in work)
        63 R2 LARK (in work)
        85 AVANTI (9K miles)

34 Studebaker Street Rod (completed)
        55 Speedster (in work)
        63 Lark R2 (completed, 63K miles)
        64 Daytona CNV (completed, 63K miles)
        64 Avanti R2 (completed)
        85 Avanti(blackout trim, 10K miles)
        89 Avanti CNV (19K miles)

Comment

If you are trying to sell a 5K Studebaker for 10K your sell through rate will be low. Mine is exactly 100 % because I try and buy them right and set the reserve`for a reasonable profit. My sell through rate when I list for others is perhaps 50%, because I can't control the reserve.

JDP/Maryland
          "I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
          Thomas Jefferson
          JDP Maryland

Comment

John, if my pocket were deeper and I had more room, your sell-through rate would be the same, but with a little more in your pocket. The resto shots of the R2 Lark are near inspirational.[]

BTW, the new wires you sent me work beautifully and have my radio clear as a bell.

Back to the topic...

Andy
            62 GT
            Andy
            62 GT

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JDP

If you are trying to sell a 5K Studebaker for 10K your sell through rate will be low.
              And that's what happens too often[xx(]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
              Parish, central NY 13131

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

I can.t take any credit for the wire quality. They are made for me by fellow SDC member Brian Scott of Scott Wire. He make wires for NASCAR, so the quality is top notch.

JDP/Maryland
                "I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
                Thomas Jefferson
                JDP Maryland

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mark57

I also notice a number of relists so there are a number of cars that appear to be sold and then the deal falls through
                  Another thought- I think that many of the deals that appear to have "fallen through" were actually shill bids that a real bidder didn't outbid. It ends up with the shill being the highest, which of course isn't a real buyer; the seller can't admit it's a shill since it's against the rules, so they just claim it was a deadbeat bidder and re-list.

More than once I've won items for exactly what my max bid was. I've always suspected they had a shill run it up to find out what my max was, then backed up and shill bid just under my max. I've never cared, since I was willing to pay my max anyway; it's just dirty pool.

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Working...
                  X