This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First bad eBay experience

I bought a Hurst shifter stick off eBay, and sent the guy a Post Office money order. The total was $40.00 including shipping. When he finally got around to sending it to me, he sent me an empty box. I've tried contacting him, to no avail.

Anything I can do to get the $40 back? Doesn't look like I'll be getting the shifter handle. [}]

Matthew Burnette
    Hazlehurst, GA

Was the box torn or retaped to suggest it might have fallen out due to improper packaging, Matthew? [8D]BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

It's one of those Post Office 'Priority Mail' boxes. The guy lives in Denver, and stamped on the box is: "Received Without Contents At DENVER MPA"

Matthew Burnette
      Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Matt, I think you just received a $40 lesson. Because you sent a postal m.o., I suppose you can contact the Post Office about mail fraud but I think there is little they will do for $40. Worth a try, tho. Be sure to contact Ebay,as they will send him emails that he will not answer and they will black ball him sometime. Also, leave a very negative review on Ebay. In the future, use Paypal, it's not great but you have more leverage to get your money back. The problem with paypal is you would have lost the first $25, so you would only get $15 back. I can't find the listing but generally I look at previous sales to see if others were happy. Don't go by small sales as this is a way to build good ratings, looks for sales over $100 to see what others think. Sorry, hope some else has a better way to help. Bob
        , ,

Comment

Matt was there a return address and name on the box or do you have that info? I think we can find someone in that area to go find the guy or at least a local Police Dept. that might be interested in helping you out. I do have contacts in that area if you are interested in persuing it further.
          sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

I'd check the box over carefully first. See if there is a hole the shift lever could have slipped out of.

JDP/Maryland
            "I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
            Thomas Jefferson
            JDP Maryland

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Avantidon

Matt was there a return address and name on the box or do you have that info? I think we can find someone in that area to go find the guy or at least a local Police Dept. that might be interested in helping you out.
              Drop a name! Evan his e-Bay name so none of us get ripped off by him. I will pass it on to our club members and see what we can do.

Carey
              Packard Hawk

Carey
              Packard Hawk

Comment

Seeing that the boxed was marked up by the P.O., try calling a P.O. in Denver. They can check with the MPA (probably a Mail Processing unit) and seeing if they can determine if it came in unsealed. 99% of the time, a RWC stamp or decal is put onto a box that's open on one end, to show that it came to the affixer open and empty. There's an off chance that the part is sitting in a Lost-and-Found in the sorting facility.

Those boxes will not un-stick once sealed, but the sender may have bent the flap and never stuck it down.

Don't be so quick to think someone would bother to address, affix postage, and send an empty box; highly unlikely. I also doubt a clerk would have taken in an empty box unquestioned.

Follow up before you do a negative. If you don't have any luck, let me know and I'll see what I can do from here.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"It was the last chance for Studebaker to turn things around. The company was down to its last bullet, and this new small car was it. They called it the Lark"

Comment

Even a sealed box can be punctured by something like a shift lever if the pointy end is not covered and can move freely in the box.

JDP/Maryland
                  "I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
                  Thomas Jefferson
                  JDP Maryland

Comment

Wow! You guys are right! I was quick to jump all over this seller! My bad.[B)]

Carey
                    Packard Hawk

Carey
                    Packard Hawk

Comment

Also, Matt, if the package was insured, you can definitely get your money back from the Post Office. Have the seller go to his local PO with the mailing receipt and insurance tag and get the process started. It'll take a while, but it will work.

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
                      '63 F2/Lark Standard
                      http://studeblogger.blogspot.com
                      www.studebakersandiego.com

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

I've sold a ton on Ebay, a lot with pointy ends and have never had one puncture a box. If the shift lever was packed properly it would not have punctured the box unless the box was obviously mishandled. This would be obvious by looking at the box. I believe that whether the seller meant to defraud or just did a sloppy packing job, he is responsible. The lack of return communication would make even more nervous. I'll agree that if the postal service will cover the loss than let it lie, but if not, I'd ding the seller. I'd refund the money if it was my fault.
                        , ,

Comment

Guys, there's nothing wrong with the box. No holes, rips, tears, anything. One end has obviously been opened.

It's eBay item number 180263277201

http://tinyurl.com/62pnhd

Seller's handle is carvinwalls

In his ad, it states he only accepts Paypal. I emailed him asking if I could send a MO, and he promptly responded that it would be fine. I hit the BIN, and the next day I sent him a MO. A couple weeks passed, and I never heard from him. I emailed him and asked if he had recieved the payment. Here's his first response.

Matthew,
                          I'm sorry for not getting back to you sooner. My wife put your envelope somewhere and I never found it -- although I'm sure you did. Did you send a MO?? Please send me your address and I'll get this in the mail immediately. I was waiting for your payment and was wondering where it was. I'll send this out ASAP regardless if you have sent payment.

Thanks,

-Dan

I told him thanks and gave him my address, and here's the last I heard from him.

Matt,
                          I'm pretty sure that I saw your envelope sitting on my table so no worries. I'm sure it will turn up. Sorry for the delay. This is out the door and on your way.

-Dan

Anyone else as confused with those emails as I am? [?][?][?]

BTW, here's a couple pics of the box.

Matthew Burnette
                          Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

If that box is anything like the boxes I've used for sending out eBay merchandise, it would've been pretty hard for a shifter to poke a hole in it. I've shipped boxes of old license plates (some with fairly sharp edges) around the world without incident. So I don't see it.

Definitely get eBay involved, Matt ... it's not a fun process, but the only way to at least stop this guy from doing something similar again is to see it through. Hopefully you will get your $$$ back.

Jacob Newkirk - Owensboro, KY

KEEP AMERICA BEAUTIFUL! Drive a Studebaker!
                            Jacob Newkirk - Owensboro, KY

KEEP AMERICA BEAUTIFUL! Drive a Studebaker!

Comment

I use MO's quite a bit. Usually for train related parts and the like. Do you still have the receipt? I have these things on the computer desk in front of my nose until I receive the product. I give about two weeks, and if there's no results I either make a new one(which involves returning the receipt for the money back) or completely void the money order(which is essentially the same thing). By doing this, this is the equivalent of returning the item in question to get the money back. Yeah the way he sounds I would void the MO if it doesn't turn up soon. He can't find the envelope and he's "jumping the gun" on the package. There also seems to be a level of indecisivness as he claims he saw the MO envelope but then claims it will turn up like its lost(A little riffling to confirm an envelope solves this pretty quick [!).

[img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201950%202r5%20Studebaker%20Pickup%20with%20turbocharger/P1000137-1.jpg[/img=left]
                              [img=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00005.jpg?t=1171153370[/img=right]
                              [IMG=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/Ex%20Studebaker%20Plant%20Locomotive/P1000578-1.jpg[/IMG=left]
                              1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                              1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                              1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                              1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Working...
                              X