X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JBOYLE
    replied
    I agree with Studegary...

The cars are known as the Chrysler "E Body"...suggesting they're on the same chassis & share a basic body shell.
    Now one may indeed be longer, but I'd guess (I have a book at home to look it up to be sure) they had the same wheelbase.
    Any extra length of one over the other would have been in front/rear facias.

63 Avanti R1 2788
    1914 Stutz Bearcat
    (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Leave a comment:

• studegary
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by Swifster

quote:Originally posted by studegary

Of course, the basic body shells of the Plymouth and Dodge versions were the same. I welcome all of your comments.
    The shells were not the same. Aside of the trimmings such as quarter panels, tail panels, etc., the Challenger shell was two inches longer than the Barracuda. This can be seen in the design of the quarter windows. The Challenger was a bigger car much like the Cougar being bigger than the Mustang.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tom - Mulberry, FL
    I know that a Challenger and a Cougar are longer than a Barracuda and a Mustang, but I thought that the difference was in the nose (and possibly tail/bumper), not the underlying main body shell/structure.
    I don't have anyplace to look this up. I am just going from memory from when they were new, so you may be correct. A different quarter window does not define a different body shell structure. Look at the early '70s Plymouth and Dodge intermediates as an example.

Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Leave a comment:

• Swifster
    replied

Of course, the basic body shells of the Plymouth and Dodge versions were the same. I welcome all of your comments.
    The shells were not the same. Aside of the trimmings such as quarter panels, tail panels, etc., the Challenger shell was two inches longer than the Barracuda. This can be seen in the design of the quarter windows. The Challenger was a bigger car much like the Cougar being bigger than the Mustang.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

Leave a comment:

• Studedude1961
    replied
    Just heard on TV that Chrysler sales are down 34% from last year...and last year was a bad year. Will the fear of orphanhood kill Challenger sales...or the high price in a recession year?

Studedude1961

Leave a comment:

replied
    My heart skips a beat when I see a Challenger. Legendary Chrysler designer Tom Gale's son was in charge of the project. He did Chrysler Heritage and his Dad's legacy right with the design. Hat's off on the looks.

Now to market realities. This car doesn't stand a chance. It's not a competitor in it's class. Mustang and the New Camaro are going to eat it's lunch. The first year run of 6400 will have a buyer for every one. But it's staying power will be doubtful, and the glory will be forgotten when Camaro hits the street.

This car is like "Vanishing Point" meets William Conrad's "Cannon". Not only is it overweight, but it's chassis is more like a Lincoln Continental than a Challenger. That alone would kill it. But the V6 base model price disadvantage will bury it.

Comparing it to a final Studebaker, it is most like the Brooks Stevens 1964 Daytona. Those great looks didn't bring many buyers, either.

The rights to build Challenger could be thrown in the deal to the Viper buyer. Just like the Studebaker Truck rights were included in the Altman deal for the Avanti. The Challenger would stand a better chance of being built by a Viper buyer, though.

Kevin Wolford
    Plymouth, IN

55 Champion
    60 Lark VI Conv.
    63 Avanti R1

Leave a comment:

• studegary
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by 4961Studebaker

ChopStu - That looks like it started out as a Plymouth, not a Dodge Challenger (thread topic).

Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY
    While the photo I posted is of a Cuda, I find many similarities to the new Challenger especally the lines near of the door and windows,
    I will do my best to keep strictly to the thread topics from now on sorry.

ChopStu
    Sorry! You don't know me, so I shouldn't have made that statement that could be taken wrong in print. Of course, the basic body shells of the Plymouth and Dodge versions were the same. I welcome all of your comments.

Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Leave a comment:

• BobPalma
    replied
    Nice clip, Joe. Thanks. BP

Leave a comment:

• JRoberts
    replied
    Here's what Jay Leno's take on the new vs. the old Challenger:

http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/video/...tml?vid=263733

Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser
    Editor of "The Down Easterner"
    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Leave a comment:

• 4961Studebaker
    replied

ChopStu - That looks like it started out as a Plymouth, not a Dodge Challenger (thread topic).

Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY
    While the photo I posted is of a Cuda, I find many similarities to the new Challenger especally the lines near of the door and windows,
    I will do my best to keep strictly to the thread topics from now on sorry.

ChopStu

Leave a comment:

• studegary
    replied

Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Leave a comment:

• JBOYLE
    replied
    I loved the original and don't mind the new ones...but...
    I'm not a huge fan of the chopped bad-boy P-Diddy meets Jesse James "gangsta" look about it.

For my money I'd rather have a Mustang convertible (or Shelby..if you consider the extra dealer profit as discussed earlier).

The things are never going to be a high dollar collectible...collectible sure...but you'll never see a dime of the [u]extra</u> bucks you pay the dealer.

63 Avanti R1 2788
    1914 Stutz Bearcat
    (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Leave a comment:

• 4961Studebaker
    replied

Can I have this one please? [][][]

ChopStu

Leave a comment:

• bams50
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Time will tell, eh?
    Yep. And we probably won't have to wait that long to see[xx(]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"It was the last chance for Studebaker to turn things around. The company was down to its last bullet, and this new small car was it. They called it the Lark"

Leave a comment:

• tutone63
    replied
    Lets just say that if I had the kind of money that they are asking for this new car...that only gets 13mpg in town and 18 on highway...which is rediculous with the advances in technology today...IF I had the money I would spend it on a REAL classic with an engine that I could work on instead of this thing that is probably so filled with computers that it would be impossible for the average joe to do any maintenence to. (by the way, I realize those computers are supposed to help with engine timing and speed and all that rot...but I still cannot get over the fact that with all that and fuel injection, it still gets the same crummy mileage as the 60s versions with carbuerators...give me the carbuerators any day.

1963 Lark Custom, 259 V8, TT, 4 doors, 2 tone paint. Driven often, always noticed. Man I love this car!!

Leave a comment:

• Roscomacaw
    replied
    Time will tell, eh?

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President two door

Leave a comment:

Working...
X