Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 71 Cuda was a tough looking car and I loved it, but the build quality was not that good. Lots of rattles and noise, but guess what, I didn't care! I don't think most of the people who remember the old Cudas and Challengers will care either. The interior is supposed to be retro so maybe it is right for that car, but you would have never seen an original with a gray interior.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, both w/overdrive.Searcy,Arkansas
    "I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

I didn't mean that it might be their Avanti on the technicallities, I simply meant an expensive specialty car introduced just before the company collapsed. Chrysler's not in the best shape - Challenger or not.[xx(]

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe
      1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

The interior on my Magnum is bland but not cheap. Materials have a good quality feel and all the switchgear is top notch. Lots of off the shelf Mercedes Pieces in there. The feel of everything has made me accept the "look" of everything. They could have done better on the Challenger, a little more chrome or brushed stainless and some contrasting color here and there would have gone a long way.

For a cheap interior, sit in an original Challenger. And, unless you are built with long legs and short arms the steering wheel will be uncomfortably close or you won't be reaching the pedals. I'm a Mopar fan from my pre-teen days but unless you bought a full size model the interiors were very low end.

I'd pay up for the new one before I would for the old one. The new one's are probably very good cars, if they are anything like my Magnum. The original's interior door panels are a single piece of molded hard plastic. Sound deadening was accomplished via the radio. They were rough riding, not particularly good handling, heavy and if you look at performance tests of the period thay were not all that fast for a big engined Pony Car.

Comment

A little lighthearted humor about the Chrysler situation. Dunno Bob, about having a Chrysler version like the situation with the Avanti. The bloodstains on the showroom floor may not clean up easily if the revered Hemi engine is replaced with the competition's. [)]

[img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201950%202r5%20Studebaker%20Pickup%20with%20turbocharger/P1000137-1.jpg[/img=left]
          [img=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00005.jpg?t=1171153370[/img=right]
          [IMG=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/Ex%20Studebaker%20Plant%20Locomotive/P1000578-1.jpg[/IMG=left]
          1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
          1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
          1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
          1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

PBR2- Vanishing Point is a great car movie from the 70's. I have a collection of about 10 movies that I can watch about once a year. Caddyshack, Blazing Saddles, Airplane among others. V.P. is among them. If it's not off beat enough for you, try Repo Man, stranger than strange.

Comment

So sad that Plymouth was axed...there'd definitely be interest in a 'Cuda version.

Oh, BTW. If you've never seen "Vanishing Point" and you like car movies, check it out. It's got all the car chase action you could want, with an existential slant and... briefly... a naked hippie-chick riding a trail bike in the sunlight.

SPOILER ALERT - our hero abstains!

Andy
              62 GT
              Andy
              62 GT

Comment

I remember watching Vanishing Point and sitting in shock at the opening scene repeated at the end with a twist.

Jim

_________1966 Avanti II RQA 0088______________Rabid Snail Racing
                Jim
                Often in error, never in doubt
                http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

I didn't mean that it might be their Avanti on the technicallities, I simply meant an expensive specialty car introduced just before the company collapsed. Chrysler's not in the best shape - Challenger or not.[xx(]

[}] Roger that, Bob. BP
                  We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                  "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bige
                    For a cheap interior, sit in an original Challenger. And, unless you are built with long legs and short arms the steering wheel will be uncomfortably close or you won't be reaching the pedals. I'm a Mopar fan from my pre-teen days but unless you bought a full size model the interiors were very low end.
                    Heh, sounds like the perfect car for me then! Inevitably, in just about any newer car, I'll adjust the seat so that I can push the clutch all the way to the floor (or rest my left foot on the floor, if an automatic) with my knee slightly bent, and then I'll find that when I reach for the wheel that it's too far away - my criterion being if I drape my right hand over the top of the steering wheel that I should be able to rest my wrist on it without pulling my shoulder off the seat. I do like that telescoping steering wheels are becoming more common; this way I don't have to sit closer to the pedals than I'd like to properly reach the wheel.

I don't have this problem in older cars from the pre-power steering era, however...

nate

--
                    55 Commander Starlight
                    http://members.cox.net/njnagel
                    --
                    55 Commander Starlight
                    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Andy R.

Oh, BTW. If you've never seen "Vanishing Point" and you like car movies, check it out. It's got all the car chase action you could want, with an existential slant and... briefly... a naked hippie-chick riding a trail bike in the sunlight.

And as an added bonus, they use a white CAMARO as a stunt double for the Challenger in the closing scene. [}][}]

Frank Remlinger
                      SDC# A004602R
                      Frank Remlinger
                      Detroit, Michigan
                      SDC# A004602R

Comment

Wellll, I know of the Vanishing Point. I'm not a big movie person persay, lol with the Dish I got the attention span of a goldfish(Watch two minutes and then it's like what else is on, you know). I do manage to watch some movies that range from good to just all out odd. However, from my time with the people of the train club, I got this mental library of movies,in part thanks every line in every movie that can be conjured up prior to 1989, that are from good to just all out weird. I've seen Airplane II(the jump with the Edsel was classic), Blue Streak, Firefox, Blazing Saddles, parts of the remake of Silver Streak with Wilder, the Cannonball run movies(there's a trip down muscle car memory lane), both Gone in 60 Second movies(the first movie left me at the end like, well then what? [)]), parts of Hollywood Knights(another movie down memory lane), American Graffiti, Christine, the Herby movies, and more than a few others I cannot remember at the moment. I also watch some of modern movies, which is where some of my automotive philosophy arises from.
                        LOL, this is probably as far off as far off base gets, but hopefully that settles any fears...
                        1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                        1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                        1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                        1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

I didn't mean that it might be their Avanti on the technicallities, I simply meant an expensive specialty car introduced just before the company collapsed. Chrysler's not in the best shape - Challenger or not
                          I still don't think so. Chrysler's still in much better shape at this point than Stude was at the Avanti's release. From everything I've read, one of the big blows hastening Studebaker's demise was the month-long strike right at the time of the Avanti launch. This meant delay, and many buyers got tired of waiting and went elsewhere.

Another point is, forces are still trying to turn Chrysler around and save auto production. Starting with Roy Hurley, Studebaker was doomed by company officials who weren't interested in auto production anymore. No one at Chrysler is trying to scrap the automotive division to strengthen an overall company.

I still think Chrysler is a fair piece from collapse.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                          Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"It was the last chance for Studebaker to turn things around. The company was down to its last bullet, and this new small car was it. They called it the Lark"

Comment

Time will tell, eh?

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                            1960 Larkvertible V8
                            1958 Provincial wagon
                            1953 Commander coupe
                            1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Lets just say that if I had the kind of money that they are asking for this new car...that only gets 13mpg in town and 18 on highway...which is rediculous with the advances in technology today...IF I had the money I would spend it on a REAL classic with an engine that I could work on instead of this thing that is probably so filled with computers that it would be impossible for the average joe to do any maintenence to. (by the way, I realize those computers are supposed to help with engine timing and speed and all that rot...but I still cannot get over the fact that with all that and fuel injection, it still gets the same crummy mileage as the 60s versions with carbuerators...give me the carbuerators any day.

1963 Lark Custom, 259 V8, TT, 4 doors, 2 tone paint. Driven often, always noticed. Man I love this car!!

Comment

Time will tell, eh?
                                Yep. And we probably won't have to wait that long to see[xx(]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                                Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"It was the last chance for Studebaker to turn things around. The company was down to its last bullet, and this new small car was it. They called it the Lark"

Comment

Working...
                                X