Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clark, the dealer here in Owensboro says he'll have "a couple" of V6 SEs coming soon ... both will be blue, and both will be about $23K. Too much cash for me, but it's a lot of car for the dough. I got the brochure, and even the SE will be pretty nicely equipped, plus it'll miss out on the $2100 gas guzzler tax seen in the sticker shot above. If it takes off, it'll be like the Mustang, mostly six-bangers roaming the streets.

Jacob Newkirk - Owensboro, KY

KEEP AMERICA BEAUTIFUL! Drive a Studebaker!
    Jacob Newkirk - Owensboro, KY

KEEP AMERICA BEAUTIFUL! Drive a Studebaker!

Comment

I had a long conversation just yesterday with Pat Foster on this car as he has one for his review. He tolld me this car is built on the same chasis as the Chrysler 300 and the Dodge Charger. He says it drives quite well and the Hemi6.1 provides great power. He also said that Dodge will be providing other drive trains for the car including a 6 cyl which they expect to be the sales leader for the vehicle. As for the inflated price, it has been a long time since I have seen a well publicized vehicle not be marked above MSRP by a dealer who knows someone will pay the price for the car as suckers are born evryday,[}]
      sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

The exterior looks pretty good, but that interior is hideous and ridiculously bland for such an expensive car. My Geo Prizm has a better looking interior.
        "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Couple of comments to a couple of posters.

As to the high price....supply and demand....sort of....more like the cars new and there's a buzz and people with deep pockets like to be the first one to own one, and manufactures want to capitolize on its newness and recover development expenses. Like the 04 GTO in its first year there was a waiting list and high prices but the 2nd/3rd year had the better options as well as motor. And prices fell. Its possible this could happen to the Challenger.

As to poster with family memebers working for Chrysler wanting a discount. GOOD LUCK with a new model, I have family that works for GM (yours chrysler I know) ANY new model was excluded for employee discount for at least a year, even the little solstice was excluded when new. And usually the dealer received precedence over the employee when it came to a waiting list. Now if you have connections to get the Executives car after he drives it a year that might be an angle.

While I like the Challenger and agree it looks the most like the old car, I will be in waiting for year 3 when options, prices, and colors are better. I don't see it being a GTO (3 and done) unless the prices just stay way too high.

Chop Stu
          61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

quote:Well, he told me they only made a few thousand at first and that the vehicle was a test mule which was to be destroyed at the end of the race. Well, fortunately it avoided the crusher, but could not avoid the accident during the race that wiped out the car.
            That's the plot to the 1971 car-cult classic, VANISHING POINT!
            White Challenger in interstate high speed chase meets its demise. They even gave it Colorado plates. I'm beginning to think it was no accident. (pun totally intened)

That said, sign me up in a couple years for one in white with a pistol-grip shifter...at MSRP.

Andy
            62 GT
            Andy
            62 GT

Comment

Could this thing prove to be Chrysler's Avanti?

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe
              1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Tom

I saw one on the road the other day and it is a big car. It sits high and seems to have oversize wheels that look like they belong more on a large SUV. At the local cruise night (where my '64 Commander is a regular) they have some vintage Challengers and Barracudas which look lean and mean in comparison to the new Challenger.
                The gut I know that has one also has a '70 or '71 Challenger that is sometimes parked next to it. I never was too excited about the originals, but the new ones really wowed me- especially in comparison. The original looks chintzy and primitive to me next to the new one.

Scott said: "that interior is hideous and ridiculously bland for such an expensive car." I'm not sure I'd say "hideous", but the rest is true! This has been my complaint with Chrysler products for at least a decade[xx(] They could certainly do better with upholstery materials, starting with some color choices; and do something to dress up the dash[|)]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"It was the last chance for Studebaker to turn things around. The company was down to its last bullet, and this new small car was it. They called it the Lark"

Comment

Hmmm... guess we'll have to agree to disagree (not that that's ever happened before.) IMHO the new one is cool because it looks like the original, but the original looks lean and lithe while the new one looks like it's packed on a little middle-aged weight. I just know that a decent original V-8, 4-speed Challenger is still likely going for MORE than the new ones, and warranty? Fuhgeddaboutit!

nate

--
                  55 Commander Starlight
                  http://members.cox.net/njnagel
                  --
                  55 Commander Starlight
                  http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

quote:Originally posted by N8N

Hmmm... guess we'll have to agree to disagree
                    Agreed!

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                    Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"It was the last chance for Studebaker to turn things around. The company was down to its last bullet, and this new small car was it. They called it the Lark"

Comment

Having followed the development of these cars, I was very familiar with them. However, when I spotted one on the road coming at me, I thought...here comes a...Challenger. Couldn't decide immediately if it was a new one or an old one. Well done, Chrysler. Unfortunate timing, but well done.

KURTRUK
                      (read it backwards)

KURTRUK
                      (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

I find the new Challenger B-O-R-I-N-G in style/design. If FORCED to own one, I would rather have a 300C SRT-8 out of the three Mopar pork-o-mobiles (300C/Challenger/Charger). By choice, I would rather own a new Mustang.

Yeah, the 6.1 Hemi is a stormin' engine, but it better look as good as well as be fast for that kind of $$dough$$.[xx(][xx(][xx(]

Frank Remlinger
                        SDC# A004602R
                        Frank Remlinger
                        Detroit, Michigan
                        SDC# A004602R

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Do you mean if Chrysler happens to go under, a couple of sympathetic Dodge dealers with buy all the tooling, along with the rights, and continue production? As far as I know, Challenger production is right on schedule, without any production problems the Avanti encountered.

Craig

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.
                            [}] Highly unlikely, Bob; virtually all of the Avanti's problems were production-oriented and most of those had to do with depending on an independent body supplier who was totally unprepared, unable, and insufficiently-staffed to build bodies for both General Motors and Studebaker at the same time, in the quantities needed...and not only do you know who's gonna get the short end of that stick, but you know where the stick is gonna wind up being placed![:0][:0][8] BP
                            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                            "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

quote:
                              That's the plot to the 1971 car-cult classic, VANISHING POINT!
                              White Challenger in interstate high speed chase meets its demise. They even gave it Colorado plates. I'm beginning to think it was no accident. (pun totally intened)
                              Even weirder......I never saw the movie!! [)] []
                              Although my sources(alright my parents) say the movie car found the blade of a dozer at the end of the movie...[}]

[img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/My%201950%202r5%20Studebaker%20Pickup%20with%20turbocharger/P1000137-1.jpg[/img=left]
                              [img=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00005.jpg?t=1171153370[/img=right]
                              [IMG=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/Ex%20Studebaker%20Plant%20Locomotive/P1000578-1.jpg[/IMG=left]
                              1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                              1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                              1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                              1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

I owned a 1970 Challenger R/T in Plum Crazy.
                                I have no interest in this new Challenger.
                                The interior looks cheap and bland for a $22K car.
                                I think that the car lost a lot when it went from a hardtop that the prototype was to a sedan that the production car is. Others can still make hardtops, why not Chrysler?

Gary L.
                                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                                Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                                Gary L.
                                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                                X