X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Samjoe
    replied
    BBQ is a funny thing.
    But when it comes right down to it, its how slow it is cooked is the answer. Also you should match your wood to compliment your meat.Apple to ham and pork,hickory or cherry to beef,
    mesquite to turkey.
    Some may say "Its my secret rub".
    Well most peoples secret rub is varied amounts of 1.Salt,2.Pepper,
    3.Garlic powder,4. Chili or cayenne pepper,5 maybe a dash of lemon or something citrus,6. Maybe paprika or sugar. So I myself use a good commercial brand.That way I have more time for cooking.
    Also some of the vendors of the secret rubs, buy their rubs from Cains,McCormick and usually just add something to it,like more garlic,sugar and repackage it as their own.
    Another big secret is aluminum foil. After smoking for about 3-4 hours. Place meat in foil with onions. And some sort of liquid, beer, juice, soda pop, to keep the meat moist as it cooks. I've been experimenting with Dutch ovens and got some great results.
    And on the subject of BBQ sauce, I leave it to your own taste. I have always felt that really good BBQ needs no sauce. But I also feel, that when the right sauce is chosen, it compliments the meat so well, it can be just heavenly.
    But after all this, good bbq is what you like. Whether its sweet, sour,lots of smoke, not much smoke ect, its up to you. But I've found that you've got to do a little studying, and lots of practice.
    It doesn't pay well, but like Studebakers, it gives you plenty of bragging rights.
    Malcom
    http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/565195073uFyuTG

Leave a comment:

• 65cruiser
    replied
    Hands down, here's my favorite:

Located in Owensboro, KY.

Mark Anderson
    Member SDC and FMCA
    Keeper of the Studebaker Cruiser Registry
    www.65cruiser.com

My next Studebaker is in the future, but now getting my hair messed up in a Sebring ragtop!
    Almost as fun as a Studebaker!

Leave a comment:

• lstude
    replied
    I don't make my own barbecue sauce. My favorite is Sauers which in made right here in Richmond. It is vinegar based.

Leonard Shepherd
    http://leonardshepherd.com/

Leave a comment:

• redcreeper
    replied
    I like the idea of the sauce exchange that sounds about as much fun as actully traveling around trying some regional faves. but with BBQ I wonder if you were to try to prepare a dry rub smoked KC style then slather on a heapin helping of a sauce meant to be a wet cook if it would be a fair rep. for the sause not to mention the fact some areas are beef some chicken some pork/sausage I think the bottle should have the best reciept atached as well.

My 1955 Commander

AKA Burnie

Leave a comment:

• glen
    replied
    For just plain good old bbq, nothing fancy....it's JL's
    in Pryor OK! Where the N.US 69 crosses the OK 20 in Pryor
    OK....sawdust on the floor, self service and don't look
    for a health card being displayed. This location is a
    step up from its former spot, south of town near the
    horse auction. [}]

Once you are hooked you'll keep coming back! They have
    ribs, brisket, sausage, and everything else [] the
    beans are the "real deal". A true Okie Land treat! [8D]

glen
    Between Somewhere
    and Nowhere, AZ.

Leave a comment:

• Guido
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by lstude
    Joe, I have eaten barbecued Deer! We used to drive to Wilson, North Carolina, just to eat barbecue. Do you know that place? Is it still there?
    That would be Parker's. It was still there about 4-5 years ago when I went down there (twice) for a big auction in one of the tobacco warehouses with Barbee Cox. Barbee's dad (S.B. "Bobby" Cox) used to fly his plane down there just to get it for dinner.

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful" and real Studebaker horsepower lives

See pictures here: http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Leave a comment:

• Lenny R2
    replied
    I never had Babecue in NY until we moved to Georgia in 1991.
    now we have it often.

Lenny
    Atlanta Ga.

Leave a comment:

• lstude
    replied
    quote:I still think that the Kansas City area thinks barbecue is a verb. They will "barbecue" anything. I just can't bring myself to believe that barbecue can be beef or turkey.

Joe Roberts
    Joe, I have eaten barbecued Deer! We used to drive to Wilson, North Carolina, just to eat barbecue. Do you know that place? Is it still there?

Leonard Shepherd
    http://leonardshepherd.com/

Leave a comment:

• JRoberts
    replied
    Jeff what a great video! I noticed that they only mentioned the eastern North Carolina barbecue. I prefer this to that found in the NC piedmont and further west. I have eaten barbecue in many places and never can find any that I like as well as that here in eastern North Carolina.
    I still think that the Kansas City area thinks barbecue is a verb. They will "barbecue" anything. I just can't bring myself to believe that barbecue can be beef or turkey.

Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser
    Editor of "The Down Easterner"
    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Leave a comment:

• BShaw
    replied
    Okay, here's a thought...

How about a BBQ sauce exchange at the Lancaster Meet? Here's how it could work...

1. Sign up with me via email (name, email, and the LOCAL sauce you'll bring)
    2. Once a final list is compiled, (and we make sure there are no duplicate sauces) all participants would get the list.
    3. Bring X bottles of your sauce to Lancaster, one for each person on the list.
    4. Find each other, say Howdy and exchange.

If a dozen folks do this you'd go home with 11 new sauces to tickle your taste buds! It's a StudeBBQ Meat 'n' Greet!

BShaw,Webmaster

webmaster@studebakerdriversclub.com
    60 Hawk. 49 2R5, 39 Champion
    Woodbury, Minnesota

Leave a comment:

• DEEPNHOCK
    replied
    You guys have me drooling on my keyboard[]
    Jeff[8D]

http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

Leave a comment:

• BShaw
    replied
    I've had great BBQ in many places across the country and love to experience the local/regional twists that make 'em all special. I always try to bring home local BBQ sauces when I'm traveling and the variety of tastes make for good eatin' in the BShaw backyard.

I have to say my favorite region is also Kansas City. Gates for a rack of bones and Arthur Bryant's for a beef/pork combo sandwich and Jack Stack for either. (pause for wiping drool from chin)

Here in Minnesota most places serve tenderized roast pork on a bone "Ya sure, you betcha, it falls right off da bone dere."

A very notable exception is Market BBQ in Minneapolis. Their ribs are on par with Gates (except you don't get the friendly shout, "May I help you?" when you set foot through the door). If you are ever in Minneapolis try 'em. You will not be disappointed.

BShaw,Webmaster

webmaster@studebakerdriversclub.com
    60 Hawk. 49 2R5, 39 Champion
    Woodbury, Minnesota

Leave a comment:

• Chris Pile
    replied
    One of our Midway Chapter members (and occasional poster on this forum) has won several Grand Prizes for his BBQ.
    (c'mon, Malcom )

Chris Pile
    Midway Chapter SDC
    The Studebaker Special

Leave a comment:

• Dwain G.
    replied
    Thank you Kevin. I don't think I'll make it to KC this year. My youngest stepson has a deli & sandwich shop downtown on Grand Ave. next to Sprint Center. He knows all the good places, and he does some pretty good BBQ himself.[]

Dwain G.

Leave a comment:

• jlmccuan
    replied
    We do get a lot of good tasting in. All styles from all over the world. In addition to thousands of Mom and Pop's we also do Hard Rock, Chili's, Disney, Dolly World, Sticky Fingers, Hormel, Famous Dave's, and a bunch of other chains.

One of the really interesting installs was a pair of USDA approved fish smokers. The recipe starts with 2 tons of fish!!

Jim

_________1966 Avanti II RQA 0088______________Rabid Snail Racing

Leave a comment:

Working...
X