This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheaper shipping for our vendors

Starting Monday May 12, The Postal Service has made several changes in their rate structures. Single letters are going up a penny, but many of their rates are going down. Changes in their regulation have allowed them for the first time to compete in the marketplace. That means they can respond to market needs and changes much quicker. There are new discount rates for quantity, new flat rate choices, and lots of new ways to save- and more to come soon! One big advantage right off the bat is, no add-on charges, like the competition. For instance, UPS has just added their THIRD fuel surcharge[xx(] The PO never does this. Also, the PO has Click-n-Ship... you can print the shipping label and postage for a package in your home, and request a pick-up on line. Never have to wait in lines, or even start your car! Your mail carrier comes by every day; let them bring them for you! Super easy to set up and use; don't know why everybody doesn't do it!

Yes, I'm a Postal employee- I carry a Rural Route. So if you don't trust me, check it out for yourself. I post this as a service to my Stude family- NOT as a shill for the PO. You can go to www.usps.com for all the info, and of course your local PO can answer all your questions as well.

Finally, here is a site where you can compare rates; this is not a PO site, but the PO recommends it, because usually they beat the others by a long shot... just put in your package info and let the chips fall where they may:

http://shipgooder.com/

Hope this helps save you some bucks!

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that happiness is a thing called Larking!"

quote:Originally posted by bams50

Starting Monday May 12, The Postal Service has made several changes in their rate structures. Single letters are going up a penny, but many of their rates are going down. Changes in their regulation have allowed them for the first time to compete in the marketplace. That means they can respond to market needs and changes much quicker. There are new discount rates for quantity, new flat rate choices, and lots of new ways to save- and more to come soon! One big advantage right off the bat is, no add-on charges, like the competition. For instance, UPS has just added their THIRD fuel surcharge[xx(] The PO never does this. Also, the PO has Click-n-Ship... you can print the shipping label and postage for a package in your home, and request a pick-up on line. Never have to wait in lines, or even start your car! Your mail carrier comes by every day; let them bring them for you! Super easy to set up and use; don't know why everybody doesn't do it! ...
    Spam! Spam! Spam!
    Thanks for the info Bob, I use USPS almost exclusively due to the overall ease of use. It's the only way to ship overseas (or to Canada) IMHO.

[img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/R-4.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64L.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64P.jpg[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/53K.jpg[/img=right]Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
    '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
    '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
    Museum R-4 engine
    1962 Gravely Model L (Studebaker-Packard serial plate)
    1972 Gravely Model 430 (Studebaker name plate, Studebaker Onan engine)
    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Bob, does that mean with click and ship and you as a RR delivery guy you will pick up all of my packages daily?[^]
      sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Avantidon

Bob, does that mean with click and ship and you as a RR delivery guy you will pick up all of my packages daily?[^]
        Of course I will- and with a smile!

All you have to do is follow the directions for click-n-ship... AND live on my route in Hastings, NY

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
        Parish, central NY 13131

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Comment

Thanks for the info, Bob. I purchased a bunch of the "forever" stamps when they first came out.
          In general, I have good rural mail delivery. I go years without a day when I don't receive some mail. Recently, I did not get any mail one day. Late in the afternoon, I called the Post Office. The lady said that it was a light mail day and there wasn't anything that everyone received. I said that I had put mail out to post and had put the flag up on my mailbox. She said they don't have to stop to pick up mail if you are not receiving any mail, but it would have been nice for him to stop at my mailbox. The next day, I received more than the normal amount of mail. I think that a substitute carrier just didn't "find" my mailbox.

Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studegary

I had put mail out to post and had put the flag up on my mailbox. She said they don't have to stop to pick up mail if you are not receiving any mail, but it would have been nice for him to stop at my mailbox.
            Whoever told you that is incorrect. When the flag is up, the carrier HAS to stop, regardless. That annoys me

The PO has always had a bad rap, much of it earned. And people are always going to say "Going Postal" and "Snail Mail"; I accept that. But speaking for myself, I DO care about the sevice, and the company, and while some think it menial work, I think it's still important and think I do a good job. So when I come across a Postal employee doing or saying something like that, I get right in the middle of their attitude!

Mistakes happen; no one's perfect. But to tell a blatant lie like that is ridiculous- especially since all get lumped in with a few bad apples.

If it comes up again, you can tell them that's wrong- and ask them if their supervisor would like to back them up

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

I have a UPS account, all computerized, weight is computed, then I input the customer name. If I have shipped them in the passed, everything comes up. PROBLEM. I cannot give an accurate shipping cost to a customer as each time I log on to UPS there is a fuel surcharge added. The best I can do is a window of 72 hours.

FedX pissed me off last month, I ordered a car part and the vendor said he ws shipping it 3 day. I had the tracking number, and on the 2nd day I find the package is in the Elmsford, NY. center 5 miles from me. I go on line and see a notation. NOT SCHEDULED TILL. It came in early and they refused to put it on a package truck. I called and asked if I could pick it up. NO. That is not what was paid for.

Love it

Comment

Bams, I would like to report that the primary carrier that delivers my mail (a rural route) does a great job and yes she does pick up the mail with the flag is up.

Joe Roberts
                '61 R1 Champ
                '65 Cruiser
                Editor of "The Down Easterner"
                Eastern North Carolina Chapter
                Joe Roberts
                '61 R1 Champ
                '65 Cruiser
                Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

quote:some think it menial work, I think it's still important
                  I too am employed in a service industry; thirty-four years this November. It's not glorious work but very satisfying. If a customer can assume what they need is where they need it when they need it, that's satisfying. Take quality service for granted--until it's missing.
                  "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Working...
                  X