This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broadbandaccess

I've been on dail up way to long and am out of the loop.
    Question is how much time (aprox) is 5 GB. because after that's used up it's .049 a MB. and that could add up fast.

Ebon...

Ebon

Why dont you get a Sprint or a AT&T card and get broadband service for the same price as dial up? The AT&T 3G service is fast, even in a car.

Comment

One caveat: AT&T's 3G isn't available everywhere yet. I bought the card and service a few months ago, and it was no faster than dial-up, sometimes slower[|)] I'm in CNY, 25 miles North of Syracuse. It works there and within a 10 mile radius of the city.

Eventually it will be everywhere, but it isn't yet. Be sure to check- and TRY it- before you commit to a contract.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
      Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Comment

Depends on how many 'puter's you want to run.
        If you are alone and want to roam the country...that's great.
        But if you have 4 'puters in your family and you travel (like I do), then an individual card doesn't fit the family profile.
        I have Hughesnet satellite at my place because my broadband (cell) provider does not have data capability at the tower that services my area.
        I have only two choices where I live. Dial up, or satellite.
        I took the satellite and have not regretted it (but I suppose I am biased now that I bought the equipment).
        I use wireless on my laptop and can find places to connect all over the country.
        Only snotty places charge any more (like big airports and McDonald's.
        Almost all the motel chains are free and easy, as well as Starbucks, and all the bookstores.
        Just can't connect while driving...
        (But that's a good thing when you're a solo driver[}]
        Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by bondobilly

Ebon
        Why dont you get a Sprint or a AT&T card and get broadband service for the same price as dial up? The AT&T 3G service is fast, even in a car.
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Thanks, I saw StudeDude downloading in the parking lot of the show, and it wasn't tied to the hotel service. Got me wandering.

Ebon...

Comment

When I travel, wi-fi is so common now that I can pull into the parking lot of most any hotel, Starbucks, Panera, etc. and log on to hi-speed 'net.

It's ironic that my house is now 3 years old and I still can't get any hi-speed services here- including the AT&T card[|)]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
            Parish, central NY 13131

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Comment

When we drive anywhere over two hours I am always on line with the 3G.

Only places I lost connection was on I-80 once you get past the Penn State area and hit the mountains, and up on RT 12 in upstate NY near Hamilton and Clinton NY.

Comment

Yeah, the card worked fine everywhere- but my house 3G is in Syracuse, and in a 15 mile radius out. I'm about 23 miles out Stupid.

Hopefully later this year the range will extend "way" up here...

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

In case anyone is considering satellite internet access....

I'm out in the middle of nowhere and limited in ISP service choices. I've had dial up, Verizon wireless via my cell phone and satellite. The satellite services from Hughes Net are unbelievably bad...

I opted for the highest offering for the home from Hughes, (over $100.00 per month), and expected to have blazingly fast internet service because of what I saw on their TV commercials. Not so.... Their claims are completely false and I'm sure that a class action lawsuit is not very far off.

As a matter of fact, Hughes has oversold their services and most of the time I experience service that's even slower than dial up. Usually, I cannot, (like today), get a full web page to display, especially if there are any graphics on the page, (like pictures on the SDC forums). Hughes has a VERY unfair, "fair access policy". Trying to watch a few of the Stude movies, at one sitting, on You Tube is completely out of the question because of the policy. My email was out for a week, tech support, customer service and even billing services ALL come from India and the Philippines and are completely worthless, you cannot get ANY satisfaction from Hughes, no matter WHAT your problem is! My computer constantly locks up because the service is too slow to run Java script on web pages, (which happens even on the SDC forums). It's a totally frustrating experience.

The Hughes satellite services are a complete and total ripoff. Of course you're locked into a long contract and expensive equipment costs. There are customer complaints in to all government agencies who oversee Hughes. You can start here, http://www.broadbandreports.com/comments/1678?1=1&p=3 to see just some of the complaints about the Hughes ripoffs...

[u]WHAT EVER YOU DO, UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES, DO NOT SUBSCRIBE TO ANY HUGHES SATELLITE SERVICES!!! </u>

Sonny
                  http://RacingStudebakers.com
                  Sonny

Comment

That is so wierd Sonny...
                    I've been running it for over a year and a half and have had almost no problems.
                    Now, I admit I am not hosting a website, which changes the ballgame, but a lot of people are only using a similar amount of bandwidth that I am using....
                    I find it kind of hard to hate them that much
                    (But I'll try if you really want me too)
                    Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Sonny

In case anyone is considering satellite internet access....

I'm out in the middle of nowhere and limited in ISP service choices. I've had dial up, Verizon wireless via my cell phone and satellite. The satellite services from Hughes Net are unbelievably bad...

I opted for the highest offering for the home from Hughes, (over $100.00 per month), and expected to have blazingly fast internet service because of what I saw on their TV commercials. Not so.... Their claims are completely false and I'm sure that a class action lawsuit is not very far off.

As a matter of fact, Hughes has oversold their services and most of the time I experience service that's even slower than dial up. Usually, I cannot, (like today), get a full web page to display, especially if there are any graphics on the page, (like pictures on the SDC forums). Hughes has a VERY unfair, "fair access policy". Trying to watch a few of the Stude movies, at one sitting, on You Tube is completely out of the question because of the policy. My email was out for a week, tech support, customer service and even billing services ALL come from India and the Philippines and are completely worthless, you cannot get ANY satisfaction from Hughes, no matter WHAT your problem is! My computer constantly locks up because the service is too slow to run Java script on web pages, (which happens even on the SDC forums). It's a totally frustrating experience.

The Hughes satellite services are a complete and total ripoff. Of course you're locked into a long contract and expensive equipment costs. There are customer complaints in to all government agencies who oversee Hughes. You can start here, http://www.broadbandreports.com/comments/1678?1=1&p=3 to see just some of the complaints about the Hughes ripoffs...

[u]WHAT EVER YOU DO, UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES, DO NOT SUBSCRIBE TO ANY HUGHES SATELLITE SERVICES!!! </u>

Sonny

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Comment

quote:Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK

That is so wierd Sonny...
                      I've been running it for over a year and a half and have had almost no problems.
                      Now, I admit I am not hosting a website, which changes the ballgame, but a lot of people are only using a similar amount of bandwidth that I am using....
                      I find it kind of hard to hate them that much
                      (But I'll try if you really want me too)
                      Jeff[8D]
                      Hate is such a strong word Jeffster. What I really want for you is that you and anyone else to not get ripped off. Did you read any of those 75 pages-worth, on one website, from people who've had problems, on that link that I included? In fact, here's another website that has more complaints. http://www.ripoffreport.com/searchre...h%21&q5=hughes
                      Heck, just type "Hughes net sucks" in Google and you'll find many, many more, from years back.

You're right, hosting websites IS the real test. I have a LOT of work that has to get done and Hughes has been a real let-down. It hasn't been bandwidth issues for me, just plain, ol' lousy performance, which makes hosting websites, (3 for me), much more difficult.

If you're not having any problems with Hughes then you're what we call "one of the lucky ones". It happens....[^]

Sonny
                      Sonny

Comment

Ignorance is bliss, right?
                        Maybe that explains why I am so happy..
                        Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Sonny
                        &lt;snip&gt;
                        If you're not having any problems with Hughes then you're what we call "one of the lucky ones". It happens....[^]

Jeff

Comment

Working...
                        X