This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 21st Century T-Birds

Any opinions of the 2002-5 T-Birds, especially in regards to reliability? Since I will be driving the Studebird I am considering buying one for my wife. Have only found one under $20,000 with red exterior and red/black interior. Do you think they indeed will be a collectible car in the next decade or two, if not already?

Tim-53 Custom Starlight aka The Studebird in Yuma, AZ

One close friend of mine belongs to both vintage Tbird clubs, and he reports thay they were greatly anticipated by 'Bird owners, only to be let down upon seeing it in person.

I rarely see one around here, and noticed that many were for sale quite cheaply only a year or so after being released.

Chris Pile
    Midway Chapter SDC
    The Studebaker Special
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

A member of the Greater Virginia Chapter owns one. He drove it to the meet last month, but I don't know anything about it. I think Collectible Automobile did an article on it under "Future Collectibles" but I can't remember what they said.

Leonard Shepherd
      http://leonardshepherd.com/

Comment

Do you remember when a car with a small amount of chrome was called "clean"? Now they've gone so far I'd call it stripped and boring. From this angle that Ford is about as exciting as a turd on wheels.
        "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

They're really nice cars from what I've seen. They didn't sell worth beans. Most people I know that wanted one passed because they were disappointed with the underpowered engine, and one said the suspension was a little too mushy.

Other that that, I've heard they're good cars.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
          Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Scott

Do you remember when a car with a small amount of chrome was called "clean"? Now they've gone so far I'd call it stripped and boring. From this angle that Ford is about as exciting as a turd on wheels.

Comment

I was still driving the 1989 Thunderbird, that I ordered new, when the new two seat Thuderbirds were being hyped. I seriously considered one. When they came out, they were priced about 10K too high compared to competition and for what you got. Dealers soon learned that they were not going to get over MSRP for them and began discounting, but not enough. One thing that I remember is that they had too many trim levels/price points, particularly for interiors.

Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I've never seen one for less than $20,000 (then again, I haven't looked hard or on ebay) so you might have found a bargain.

Again, I've never heard anything bad about them. The main complaints were its styling (rather boring..IMHO) and high price when new.

But they were well made and equipped and aimed at the luxury market.

I wouldn't mind one as a nice "touring" convertible....from personal experiance, I know a Miata gets a bit small on a long trip or vacation.

It's a nice comfortable car for a lot less money (and cheaper to maintain, insure, etc.) than a comparable Mercedes SL (its only competitor in that category) and more stylish if less practical than a Mustang, Sebring or the other four-seat drop tops.

As far as collectability, I don't think any of us will live long enough for them to be in the 55-57 T-Bird category, but they are pretty well depreciated by now.
                Heck, if you want/need a car like that, it can't hurt.

63 Avanti R1 2788
                1914 Stutz Bearcat
                (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                63 Avanti R1 2788
                1914 Stutz Bearcat
                (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Here's an 05 for $18,500 BIN. In fact, there are several of these on Ebay for much less than $20g that are newer cars. Better buys IMHO:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/EXCEL...m290227371894&

Mark Anderson
                  Member SDC and FMCA
                  Keeper of the Studebaker Cruiser Registry
                  www.65cruiser.com

My next Studebaker is in the future, but now getting my hair messed up in a Sebring ragtop!
                  Almost as fun as a Studebaker!

Comment

I really wanted one of these when I first heard about them, but after a couple of years of seeing them around my ardor has cooled. I realized that the reason you only ever seem them with the top down or the soft top up is that the hardtop looks as ungainly as a hippo doing ballet. Also, the only people I ever see driving them are guys in their 70's - a little out of my demographic If my wife ever lets me buy a droptop, it'll probably be a Honda S-2000.

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
                    '63 F2/Lark Standard
                    http://studeblogger.blogspot.com
                    www.studebakersandiego.com

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                    X