This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBC 307

Just tracked down the serial numbers on the SBC in my '37 Dictator project and found out it is a 307. Anyone know much about these? I mean I understand how 283, 327, 350 small blocks had mix-match cranks/pistons to come up with different displacements, but never hear much about 307s. Any info appreciated.

Glen,
    You linked to an OLDSMOBILE 307, which may be what CKOT has, but the Chevy 307 was an eariler motor (68-73) than the Olds, and had the 283 bore and the 327 stroke.

CKOT if you can post the engine number (stamped number) maybe we can tell more.

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

You answered my question Dick, thanks...283 bore, 327 stroke. I was wondering how the 307 came about. Engine is Chevy, 1971. Any other interesting tidbits about the 307? Engine is not apart (yet) are these typically 2 bolt mains? My assumption is these served yeoman's duties in Novas (Chevy IIs), others, etc....

Comment

Those were installed in Novas, Chevelle/Malibus and some Camaros in 68 to 71 IIRC..It was a step up from the 6 cylinder,and a very decent little motor.A friend had one in a 71 Chevelle 4 door.Woke right up with a set of headders and a 4 BBL intake. Do not expect stump pulling torque,yeoman duty was an apt description. If you go to cam it up,just remember the smaller the cubic inches,the more radical the cam will seem...I.E..if it was great in a 350,it might be a bit too much in a 283 or 307,but down right lazy in a 400 ci small block.Stay conservative .Oldsmobile did use a 307 cubic inch motor ,but that was in the late 70's and early 80's.It was a 260 Olds V8 with a bit bigger bore,which was( IIRC) an attempt to get a bit more torque out of the gutless wonder that was a 260.I know.I had one.It shares NOTHING with the Chevrolet 307. Surf around the Chevy HiPerformance magazine web site and see if you can unearth some more info.All small block V8 Chevy stuff will bolt on,but again do not get carried away with big chamber heads or too much carb.

Comment

A funny thing about 307s. Whenever I hear about one of those engines it reminds me of a neighbor when I was young. He had a 66 El Camino with a tired 283. He got a truck from his work that had a new 307 in it. He brought the truck home one weekend and in a few hours had swapped the engine from his work truck into his El Camino. I don't know if he had his bosses permission, but back in the day, I doubt anyone even noticed the switch. My dad ended up buying the El Camino and drove the wheels off it without ever touching the engine until about 10 years ago.
          sals54

Comment

Back around 1970 or so I had a company truck that was a Chevy 1/2 ton short narrow box, 307SBC and three on the tree. We used it for hauling traffic cones and signs. I liked it alot, it ran real good, had decent power and drove well. I do remember that it, and all the other 307s in the fleet, had their camshafts replaced at our shop previously. The mechanics told me that they had "soft cams" from the factory.

Dean Croft
            Roseburg,OR

CLEM
            DESEE
            Dean

CLEM

Comment

The 307 Chevy was used as the base V8 from the 68 to 73 model years. Initially, it was available in full-sized cars and pickups, as well as Novas, Chevelles and Camaros, but was subsequently only used in the smaller cars. It also found its way into some BOP-badged versions of the Nova. It used the same bore size(3.875) as the 283, and crankshaft stroke dimension as the 327(3.25). This engine replaced the 283 c.i. engine, because it was deemed to be more responsive for the typically heavy, un-aerodynamic, high geared AT-equipped cars of that time,& with lower exhaust emissions. All of them were two-barrel carbed, & with compression ratios suited to run on regular gas, intended as grocery getters. Doesn't mean you can't make one run well--I had a 307 that I simply overhauled, and used a set of #461 66 327 heads and a "350 Hp Hydraulic" 327 camshaft and a weiand intake. Another local boys' 66 289 271hp Mustang could not pass it, and he took really good care of his car.

Comment

Hallo,

I have never heard of a 307 here, whe had 308's or 350's in our Chevy's.
                Now i am wondering, there is some tie to our "Chevs" and Holden and or Vauxhall of Australia, as well as Opel.
                Could it be that our 308 was something totally different from the 307 under discussion here?
                I have heard mention that after a date in the 60's or 70's we did not have "real" Chevs?!, ie. not following American models.
                I have seen contributions on the forum from Australian guys,maybe one of them see this, and responds.

Peet
                Pretoria

Comment

307 replacement pistons are "expensive" as SBC parts go but they respond really well to an RV or torque cam and later 305 HO heads like those found on the L69 305's. A decent grocery getter engine but if it needs rebuilt and you plan to stay with a SBC find a low mile 305 or 350, it will be cheaper in the long run.

Analog man in a digital world.

Comment

I think that the only 307 that I owned was in my 1971 Camaro. The car rusted away and it sheared a front spindle on the Interstate one night, but the engine ran well.

Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I remember them as "survivors". I had a friend in high school who had a '68 Beaumont with a 307 which he drove until it died (with about 180K on the odometer). Doesn't sound all that great until you are told that it travelled most of that distance without any maintenance or servicing.[:0][xx(]

<h5>Mark
                      '57 Transtar Deluxe
                      Vancouver Island
                      </h5>
                      Mark Hayden
                      '66 Commander
                      Zone Coordinator
                      Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

well, sounds like I am in pretty good shape. My initial findings, I thought, oh man, a 307, hoping it was a 3327 or 350, but really sounds like this should be do-able.

Comment

A friend's dad in High School had a '68 Bel Air 4-door sedan with a 307 in it. It ran ok, but was no match for the weight of that full-size Chevy. In your project, however, she should motor right along. Good luck!

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
                          '63 F2/Lark Standard
                          http://studeblogger.blogspot.com
                          www.studebakersandiego.com

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                          X