This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will It Stop You?

As fuel is poised to hit four dollars before June, will this stop anyone from driving their Studes? And if you do drive will it be at the expense of curtailment of other monetary purchases?

In Canada it is already $5.84 an Imperial gallon or translated to an American gallon it's $4.84.
    That won't stop me at all. Business as usual. It depends on what you're used to. When you've been spoiled, the current price is a tragedy.
    If people were actually serious about their whining, there would be ZERO sales for large pickups and SUVs. But there isn't.
    So I tend not to listen to the complaining.

Comment

Just got back in from running a few errands with Mr. Green Jeans, so I guess the answer is "No". [8D]
      (I did top up the tank before it goes up again. [B)])

<h5>Mark
      '57 Transtar Deluxe
      Vancouver Island
      </h5>
      Mark Hayden
      '66 Commander
      Zone Coordinator
      Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

Wont stop me from driving but the boat is pretty much parked and we have changed from driving the F-250 and hauling the slide-in to either the ranger or amtrack and staying in the motel for the national meet.
        sigpic

Comment

......how many SUV's and pickups are "company vehicles" ? All that gas is written off as a business expense....I've been musing for years that one day the gov't will clamp down on all the small "in-home" businesses that write-off 25% of the family's overhead &lt;g&gt;....
          and to answer your question: since I have a small, in-home business, and its not a Studebaker company car...I hope to drive 5-7K miles this year....Essentially, drive it when there is no (little) salt.....

Comment

Well today in Ontario here we had our annual spring swap meet and I drove our Daytona. I could of drove my S 10 pickup and got about 7 mpg more but hey its a Studebaker function , it probably cost me about $10 more to drive it but its much more enjoyable but I did notice the numbers of people were down from last year , I sure hopw that next weeks swap isn't going to be the same

HOME of THE FRIED GREEN TOMATO
            "IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1950 2R5
            1960 Champ
            1964 Daytona HT
            sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Yep.
              Long trips are out.
              Not going to go to Lancaster.
              No South Bend.
              Didn't go to Albany (GA).
              Won't be going to Reedsville, or York, either.
              Not all monetary, either.
              Just priorities.
              Building a new shop takes money.
              You think gas is expensive?
              Try buying a few thousand foot of 4 conductor copper wire (4guage)..
              Try pricing 32+ yards of cement (and the labor to put it in).
              I'll stay local and play local this year.
              Seems like a pretty good year to stay close to home, too..
              Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Laemmle

As fuel is poised to hit four dollars before June, will this stop anyone from driving their Studes? And if you do drive will it be at the expense of curtailment of other monetary purchases?
              http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock
              HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Obviously with my car still under construction, driving the Studebaker isn't the problem. But I am looking for a more economical daily driver. Anyone have a decent Geo Metro for sales [)]?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

quote:Originally posted by monomaniac
                  When you've been spoiled, the current price is a tragedy.
                  Easy there, big fella.
                  Some of us live on strict budgets, and the rising price of fuel and food is putting a serious dent in our lives. With most of the SDC membership retired and many living on fixed incomes, you can expect a big drop in attendance at Stude events from now on.
                  So, yeah - tragedy.

Chris Pile
                  Midway Chapter SDC
                  The Studebaker Special
                  The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 2R5

Well today in Ontario here we had our annual spring swap meet and I drove our Daytona. I could of drove my S 10 pickup and got about 7 mpg more but hey its a Studebaker function , it probably cost me about $10 more to drive it but its much more enjoyable but I did notice the numbers of people were down from last year , I sure hopw that next weeks swap isn't going to be the same
                    Now Bob - it would have been even more enjoyable if you had driven one of those nice trucks of yours! [8D]

<h5>Mark
                    '57 Transtar Deluxe
                    Vancouver Island
                    </h5>
                    Mark Hayden
                    '66 Commander
                    Zone Coordinator
                    Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

I'm not lucky enough to be on a fixed income- I'm Service Manager at a GM dealer and it's realllly quiet. I get paid on gross profit. I'm down 10k so far this year. Yes, I'm looking for a new job. Tired of the owner saying "Trust me"...Unfortunately, if I move on I will likely have to commute. Currently work is 3 minutes away from home...
                      Todd

Comment

Years ago I had a Chevette as an outside sales car.
                        Got paid a quarter a mile, no matter what I drove.
                        Actually made money driving that 'Shovette'.
                        Ended up selling it to my then 16 year old nephew for a buck...
                        (with the admonition 'If you beat it, you'll be walking'.
                        He got a job, worked his way up, and traded that Chevette for an S-10 and then another, newer S-10..
                        That thing was good seed money for a kid starting out...
                        (And he 'done good' with it)
                        Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Swifster

&lt;snip&gt;
                        Anyone have a decent Geo Metro for sales [)]?
                        Tom - Mulberry, FL
                        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Gas has been over 4.00 a gallon for weeks here on the Redwood Coast of Nor Cal. Not going to stop me any. Just going to make adjustments elsewhere. Since my Stude is a daily driver and all that I drive, I have no car payment. Thats the money that goes in the tank. Oh well, off to the drag races.

Gordon

Comment

I just came back from the Carlisle swap meet and I had to park way out of the city limits. The meet was packed. Several vendors said they did all right, but I didn't buy anything.

Leonard Shepherd
                            http://leonardshepherd.com/

Comment

Mark , I almost did drive the Champ but that would of been about another 5 mpg less , it was about a 150 mile round trip as it was ! Anyways I'm planning on taking both trucks to the International ( probably the only time that will happen )

HOME of THE FRIED GREEN TOMATO

1950 2R5
                              1960 Champ
                              1964 Daytona HT
                              sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Working...
                              X