This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wonder how high it will go?

There is a 1904 Thomas Model 27 racer currently on e-Bay that has now been bid to $450,000 without the reserve being hit. A total of 50 bids so far (it started at $100K) and only a handful of bidders (mostly with little or no feedback). Still over a day and a half to go, any guesses on where it will end up?

It boasts a 750 CID engine...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=260230842519

If that is not your style, perhaps you will drop the next bid on this 'Cuda hemi convertible that is currently at $2,225,000 (with the reserve not met). [:0]

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1970-...QQcmdZViewItem

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful" and real Studebaker horsepower lives

See pictures here: http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Beautiful!

This fits the OCPG definition of a #1 car...

"It has ceased to be an automobile and has become an object of art"

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

Can you imagine trying to keep the brass polished on that car? Even the clamps are brass. [:0]

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful" and real Studebaker horsepower lives

See pictures here: http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.
      Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

I wonder about the "meticulous restoration" of that $2,000,000+ Hemi 'cuda convertible.

Quite frankly, for that kind of money, it is inexcusable that the car does not have an exact, correct reproduction MoPar Battery in it, which are readily available. (But it does have a hold-down.)

I mean, for that kind of money, I would think not one single flaw should be identifiable in photographs, much less upon close personal inspection.[:0] BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
        "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

The Thomas Flyer may be worth more for historical value,but the Cuda for 2+ million? a lot of money for a Valiant on roids. Some people have more money than sense.

63VY4 Leakin' Lena Hagerstown MD

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BobPalma
            Quite frankly, for that kind of money, it is inexcusable that the car does not have an exact, correct reproduction MoPar Battery in it,
            Agree. They're $250 for cryin' out loud. Seems like it wouldn't break the bank.

Speaking of hemi mopars...I don't get it. I was at a swap meet on Saturday. I don't know my mopars, but there was a beautiful Nassau Blue (sorry about using the Chevy color ) with matching bucket seat interior, late 60's hemi Dodge hardtop there. Clearly identified as a clone. VERY nicely done and nicely detailed. Looked like a brand new car (and I'm fussy). $60,000. Where the HECK is there $2,000,000 difference between this hemi cuda and the hardtop clone? I'm sure there should be SOME diff, but $2 mill?? [:0] [V]

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

14 Hemi 'cuda converts built.
              696 Hemi 'cuda hardtops built.
              55,499 Barracuda and 'cudas built
              Apples to oranges comparison
              1 of 14 or a clone of 696 (or 55,499)others
              Only Vitamin C Hemi 'cuda convert.
              It's all about provenance'
              Lets talk Chevies...lets paint them both Nassau Blue
              In 1970 Chevrolet sold approx. 316,000 2 dr hardtop Chevelles of which 63,000 were SS hardtops
              They sold 7,000 convertibles total...some were SS cars,many were not.
              Thats a 9-1 ratio.
              They sold 4,400 LS6 powered vehicles.Out of 70,000 cars
              only 4,400 got the LS6.
              My math(which I'll admit can be sketchy)says there were 54 LS6 converts.
              Currently 28 are documented to exist.
              Do you want 1 of 54 factory built converts or a clone hardtop built from 1 of 316,000?
              Last caveat.These comparisons are based on cars bought as investments
              NOT bought as daily drivers/weekend show cars.

Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bob40

14 Hemi 'cuda converts built.
                696 Hemi 'cuda hardtops built.
                But...if low production numbers were THE indicator of collector car value, there would be some Studes worth more than the 'cuda.

My guess is that MOST of the 'cuda value has nothing to do with logic...and there are LOTS of things in the old car hobby that have nothing to do with logic. The fact that we all spend a lot of time playing with old Studebakers attests to that

Dick Steinkamp
                Bellingham, WA

Comment

If I had the money to purchase either of these two cars, it would be the Thomas Flayer hands down. Far more valuable from both the Historic and Collector stand point than is the Hemi-Cuda Convertible whose value is way out of wack at this particular point and time.
                  sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Do you want 1 of 54 factory built converts or a clone hardtop built from 1 of 316,000?
                    I'll take the clone and $2,000,000 in the bank! [8D]

Dick Steinkamp
                    Bellingham, WA

Comment

Sports Car Market lists the Thomas as having been sold for $1,188,000.00 (including premiums) at the January Kruse auction in Phoenix.

The magazine's auction observer said it was a lot of money for a car without a clear bulletproof racing history.
                      IMHO, even the ebay description is vague about whether this was a real Vanderbilt racer or one of the look-alikes sold at Thomas dealers.

Wonder why he's selling it so soon...and why on ebay?

63 Avanti R1 2788
                      1914 Stutz Bearcat
                      (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                      63 Avanti R1 2788
                      1914 Stutz Bearcat
                      (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Hope he's not a flipper.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

14 Hemi 'cuda converts built. ...
                          I think I remember hearing that of the original 14, one was scrapped early in its life because the owner tried to sell it and no one was interested.[?]

[img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/R-4.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64L.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64P.jpg[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/53K.jpg[/img=right]Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
                          '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
                          '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
                          '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
                          Museum R-4 engine
                          1962 Gravely Model L (Studebaker-Packard serial plate)
                          1972 Gravely Model 430 (Studebaker name plate, Studebaker Onan engine)
                          Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                          '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Working...
                          X