• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toyota is number 1 in sales

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080423/...m_global_sales

JDP/Maryland

FWIW --

It is always hard for me to keep quiet when conversations turn to auto sales or quality in regards to my faith and loyalty and belief in Toyota. I bought my first Toyota Corona in 1967 in Seoul, South Korea and had it shipped home to Colorado. Everyone who saw it ooh'd and aah'd and asked what in the world was it. I honestly don't know, but it may have been one of the first in America. It was the first of (I have lost count) about 8 that I have owned. Never have put less than 175K miles on one, and have generally got about 80% of the purchase price back on trade-in or sale. The only one that ever had repair work done is the second to last which I bought used with 135K miles on it. It now has just over 200K and I have bought its' replacement but not sold it yet.

Ford has a commercial on-air presently that really makes me laugh at the unwritten war that has been going between most foreign makes (especially Toyota in the past few years) and American makes. They actually say Ford is now "almost as good as Toyota in quality".

I'm not the analyst that quite a few of ya'll are, but I have known for 40 years that Toyota could and would continue to grow and give the big 3 a run and maybe win someday. Someday seems to be quite close now. They have stuck with popular design and impeccable built-in quality, and that will prove itself.

End of soap box. GO STUDEBAKER!! (The only car I have owned longer than a Toyota.)

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

I've never owned a Toyota, although I've strongly considered them at least a couple of times. My problem with Toyota today -- and this was not the case a few years ago -- is that they seem to be developing the same complacency that brought GM to its knees.

That said, a very good friend of mine just bought a new 2009 Corolla and, so far, he loves it. Another friend has a Yaris hatchback, and while it is somewhat "funky looking," I like it. Either of those two models would find a very happy home in my driveway, especially given the price of gasoline today. I know I've said my Ford truck is a "labor of love," but it's getting harder and harder to love something that gets 10 to 15 MPG. Don't be surprised if I part ways with ol' Big Red and put myself in something much smaller and more efficient.

Jacob Newkirk - Owensboro, KY

KEEP AMERICA BEAUTIFUL! Drive a Studebaker!
      Jacob Newkirk - Owensboro, KY

KEEP AMERICA BEAUTIFUL! Drive a Studebaker!

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BobGlasscock

FWIW --

It is always hard for me to keep quiet when conversations turn to auto sales or quality in regards to my faith and loyalty and belief in Toyota. I bought my first Toyota Corona in 1967 in Seoul, South Korea and had it shipped home to Colorado. Everyone who saw it ooh'd and aah'd and asked what in the world was it. I honestly don't know, but it may have been one of the first in America. It was the first of (I have lost count) about 8 that I have owned. Never have put less than 175K miles on one, and have generally got about 80% of the purchase price back on trade-in or sale. The only one that ever had repair work done is the second to last which I bought used with 135K miles on it. It now has just over 200K and I have bought its' replacement but not sold it yet.

Ford has a commercial on-air presently that really makes me laugh at the unwritten war that has been going between most foreign makes (especially Toyota in the past few years) and American makes. They actually say Ford is now "almost as good as Toyota in quality".

I'm not the analyst that quite a few of ya'll are, but I have known for 40 years that Toyota could and would continue to grow and give the big 3 a run and maybe win someday. Someday seems to be quite close now. They have stuck with popular design and impeccable built-in quality, and that will prove itself.

End of soap box. GO STUDEBAKER!! (The only car I have owned longer than a Toyota.)

I agree, someone is going to have to do a lot of convincing me to switch to something other than a Toyota. Although, I know several people who do talk highly about their Honda Pilots.

Lee

Comment

The only other car I have owned is a Saturn SC2 which I bought as a program car with 30K miles on it. Yesterday, it rolled over 100K. I would buy another with no question per the record of this one. No repairs. 30mpg in town and 40mpg on the highway. Love it. But still a Toyota guy.

Comment

Sad state of affairs...[V]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
            Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Comment

If you got 100 people together and asked them what they think of "Toyota", I'll bet at least 90 would give positive comments like, quality, dependability, value, etc. There are some, I am sure, that have had bad experiences with them or know someone who has.

Same 100 people and the question is "GM". I'll bet no more than half would give the same sort of positive comments.

While US automakers were busy worrying about NEXT QUARTER'S revenue and profit, the Japanese auto makers were thinking about the NEXT DECADE and acting accordingly.

GM makes some good products (I own one and like it), but it just may be too late for them to win back the consumer.

Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Comment

I have a 2003 Honda Pilot with 100,000 miles on it. Except for having 4-wheel drive (my mistake) and steering wheel instrumentation not lit at night (Honda mistake), it has been the best vehicle I have owned, bar none. I expect it to last at least another 200,000 miles. Much roomier inside than its competitors and its 6 cylinder engine runs unbelievably quiet. Road noise is a little high but not a serious problem.

Tim-53 Custom Starlight aka The Studebird in Yuma, AZ
                Tim-'53 Starlight Commander Custom and '63 Avanti in Yuma, AZ
                https://www.jimsrodshop.com/project/53-resurrection https://www.jimsrodshop.com/project/always-ahead

Comment

I'm glad some people like new cars. But they don't make since to me drive it a year and lose $5000. I can buy an old car fix it up clean it and drive it for 6 months and get more trhan I paid for it or have in it.

7G-Q1 49 2R12 10G-F5 56B-D4 56B-F2
                  As soon as you find a product you like they will stop making it.

Comment

Over the years, I've owned many cars, mostly Fords. Last year, my wife and I purchased our first Toyota, a Camry. I can't get over how well it's built and how well it performs. They certainly know how to build great cars and they've earned their reputation in the marketplace.
                    Rog

'59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                    '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                    Smithtown,NY
                    Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

One should note that this is worldwide sales, not just sales in the U.S. Toyota would have to almost double it's sales again in the U.S. to eclipse GM on it's own turf. Toyota has surpassed Chrysler for #3, and some months knocks off Ford for #2. And they do it with far fewer dealers than either Ford or Chrysler.

One reason Toyota is selling more cars is that they started to sell to fleet accounts (car rental companies, etc). For years, they built their marketing strategy on keeping residuals high by not flooding the market with fleet cars. That did more to support their trade values than their percieved quality reputation. That is now changing. And, since used Toyotas are more plentiful, they've started using incentives and financing programs to sell new ones. Toyota dealers can't play ball by saying take it or leave it like they used to. Honda has refused to join Toyota in this strategy. Toyota has decided to go for volume. Honda wants to keep their very, very successful slow growth strategy.

What does all this mean? GM and Ford have pulled away from low margin fleet business. In the meanwhile, Toyota, in their quest for numbers, and Chrysler, because they have no other willing buyers, are filling the void and flooding the market with fleet units. It will be interesting to see how Toyota dealers, who could dictate terms to their buyers in the past, handle having to sell in a market where supply of their product exceeds demand.

Toyota's quest for numbers has also proved costly to their once iron clad quality reputation. There are now some real quality problems with Toyota products. They recently recalled a half million 2003 and newer Corollas for window regulators that fall apart. The Avalon gets some of the poorest ratings in it's class. They are buying back 90's vintage trucks with rusty frames. Hyundai and Ford have beat them the past three years in initial quality. Buick and Lincoln routinely beat them in long term satisfaction. There are more issues than just these listed here, too.

Worldwide leadership has it's price. It also means your head is sticking up higher than anyone else's. It's time Toyota gets all the heat that goes along with being the top dog. I congratualte them on their achievement, and wish them luck.

Kevin Wolford
                      Plymouth, IN

55 Champion
                      60 Lark VI Conv.
                      63 Avanti R1

Comment

quote:Originally posted by ST2DE5

I'm glad some people like new cars. But they don't make since to me drive it a year and lose $5000. I can buy an old car fix it up clean it and drive it for 6 months and get more trhan I paid for it or have in it.
                        You only lose money if you sell it.

Comment

If it's not a Studebaker I'm ready to chunk it in a year. I lose interest in it.

You only lose money if you sell it.
                          [/quote]

7G-Q1 49 2R12 10G-F5 56B-D4 56B-F2
                          As soon as you find a product you like they will stop making it.

Comment

With all due respect I would have to question Kevin's statement that "Toyota would have to almost double it's sales again in the U.S. to eclipse GM on it's own turf." Before reading his next sentence I was already thinking - Toyota has passed Ford and is #2 in the U.S., how in the world can GM be selling MORE than twice Ford in order to create a gap large enough for #2 to double sales and still not reach #1.

I absolutely do not know the vehicle unit sales figures for GM, Toyota, Ford, or any other car company, so I must admit that in this post. But if GM had MORE than 200% of second best, they would never be included in a conversation about sales or revenue. Nor would they be laying off thousands of employees.

Comment

my first & so far only toyota was a 69 hilux pickup i bought for $425.00 in 71 with 4,000 miles on it. bought all new parts, keystone wheels, wide oval tires & a used a/c unit from a corona & still had less than $1,000 in it. it was gutless, but i saw a 70 that had the 3rc overhead cam engine & did that swap with an offenhauser intake. after that it hauled butt, even after i drove to california & had an 8' camper installed. its quality was showing even then. the guy i sold it to came by my dad's shop years later & told him he still had it. by then it only needed a valve job. compare that to my last "newer" car, a 88 cadillac coupe de ville i bought from the original owner with 69,000 miles on it. not a crack in the leather, well maintained w/ all the receipts, & a month later blew a head gasket on the freeway with not even the a/c on! i couldnt agree more with dick steinkamp's post of the u.s. automakers quest for profits for the next quarter compared to honda or toyota looking to the next decade. more of their profits went to product development instead of passing it out to shareholder dividends. now the u.s. automakers have to try & play catchup for the errors of the last 38 years.
                              59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                              60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                              61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                              62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                              62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                              62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                              63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                              63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                              64 Zip Van
                              66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                              66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Working...
                              X