This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traffic Light Anger/Tough Mopar

Now here's one tough Dodge truck. This happened in Vernon, B.C. Hmmm.... isn't that where Art Unger lives???

The driver hit the left turn light at 48th Ave. and 27th St. , shearing it off at the base, and then kept driving on about 2 kms.(1.5 miles) to a Pub, with the pole still attached. He stopped for more beer at the pub!!

After being impounded, the truck was towed about 2.5 kms., with the light still pinched between the two tow hooks and bent bumper to the Vernon Towing yard. At the yard it took several good hard pulls with a backhoe to get the pole free.

<h5>Mark
    '57 Transtar Deluxe
    Vancouver Island
    </h5>

Fully realizing that drinking and driving is dangerous and deadly, (the Four D's of the Apocalypse, I call 'em), I could not resist saying something witty.

If that had been Kentucky, I could hear the driver now:

"Officer, don't you know *hic* that this here Dodge pick-em-up *hic* came with the mo-beel stoplight *hic* option?"

Or you could revamp that once-popular Spencer's Gifts bumper sticker:

"Don't drink and drive. You might hit a stoplight and spill your drink."

Kids, we can be funny and laugh about this, but how fortunate that no one was hurt. I only hope the driver learns an important lesson.

Jacob Newkirk - Owensboro, KY

KEEP AMERICA BEAUTIFUL! Drive a Studebaker!

Comment

Back in my pizza running days a local Sheriff related a story to me about an accident scene he discovered late at night. He found a stalled car with the front end totaled and the driver's head protruding through the windshield. Further up the road sat another car with the rear end pushed in. He asked the driver "Don't you know you were involved in an accident?" the driver said, "No oshifer, my car died and some nice guy just gave me a push!" Sad but true.

Comment

That sounds like a lot of stories Grandpa shared from his days as a state trooper. One night in 1959, he was called out to investigate one on the old highway leading north out of Rockport, IN. Neighbors heard a terrible crash but saw nothing when they went out to look. Upon closer searching, they found the mangled remains of an Oldsmobile in the deep ditch on the east side of the road. Whomever the drunk driver was has been lost to history (although he tossed or lost a bloodied bottle of whiskey as he fled the scene), but everyone in the car he hit was killed. But here's where the story gets interesting. As Grandpa and the Sheriff were wrapping things up, they heard a noise, almost like that of a cat mewing. Flashlights were trained on the bare cornfield next to the road, and about 100 feet away from the car, they found a baby girl. She had a large knot on her head, but she was very much alive. After she was checked out at the hospital, she was released to my grandparents' custody until a relative could be located to take her in, as her parents, grandmother and older brother were all killed.

Until the day my Grandpa died, they talked on the telephone several times a year and exchanged cards at Christmas. The last time I saw her (at Grandpa's funeral), she was doing fine and has a family of her own. She has no memory of the incident, but she still says that had Grandpa and the Sheriff not heard her faint cry, she'd have died in that cold cornfield that night. I still marvel at the fact that she survived not only a terrible crash, but also being thrown 100 feet into a cornfield with nothing more than a bump on her head.

Comment

Working...
        X