This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The fun part of being a wannabe CASO

Y'all know I long to become another of the legion of CASOs; since I have a 21-year-old Ford, I guess I'm a CAFO ... I'm doin' the best I can to accomplish that goal soon, sometimes to the extent of "cheaping out" on other stuff. Oh well. It'll get me there, someday.

Anyway, last week, while I was recuperating from surgery, my three-year-old son's VCR decided it was a good time to quit working. This was a real problem, as most of his favorite movies are on VHS tapes.

The only other remaining functional VCR in the house, I discovered after a quick search, was the one built into my 13" Toshiba television out here in the garage/den. Well ... my son's happiness is important, so I gave up my TV to him, and moved his 24-year-old Magnavox 19" TV to my daughters' room (as they'd been badgering me for months about wanting a TV).

That left ME without a TV.

I decided to shop around online to see who had the best price on a new one, and that, of course, turned out to be Wally World, but I've been less than impressed with their Durabrand line. And besides, $95 a bit dear right now, since I've already started paying off my portion of my surgery.

So, having seen that a new TV was pretty much out of the question, I decided to go back to the place that's proven to be a Godsend when I needed a TV or some other item cheaply -- the local St. Vincent de Paul store.

They had a decent 19" RCA color set, but at $20 it was $10 more than I paid for the last TV I bought there. So I asked one of the ladies working there if she had anything ... umm ... a little cheaper.

She told me they had a couple of TVs in the back they hadn't yet brought out, so she went back to take a look.

Within a moment, she returned carrying a 13" TV, which, upon setting it down, turned out to be a Magnavox-built mid-'90s Philco. I've had a couple of those that I later gave to others in need, and they turned out to be very good televisions.

"The manager said she'd take $5 for it if it works," the lady told me, and my eyes widened a bit as she connected the cable and plugged in the set. She pressed the Power button and the TV sprang to life. My face broadened into a grin as the picture and sound proved that this was going to be coming home with me.

It's on right now as I type this, and I am VERY satisfied. I did have to scrounge up a universal remote, since they usually get lost somewhere between the previous owner's home and St. V de P, but otherwise, it's great. In fact, I think the picture is better than the Toshiba's. Can't beat that!

Sometimes it pays to be cheap!!!

Jacob Newkirk - Owensboro, KY

KEEP AMERICA BEAUTIFUL! Drive a Studebaker!

You do know that that thing is only good for about another 10 months unless you have cable or satellite... hope you get your $5.00 worth out of it by then. <G>

Lee

Comment

I'm taken care of either way, Lee. I've got cable, AND I got two of the DTV converter boxes. So it's gonna be around a long while.

Comment

Working...
      X