This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Internet ???

I live way out in the country. I have been using dial up. Which is so slow. The last pole for electric and phone from Tulsa is just across the canyon from me. One little blip and my computer disconnects. What good satellite comany is good I know its not as fast as DSL but it's 12 miles away. I looked at Hughes but they want a fortune to hook it up. Any ideas.

7G-Q1 49 2R12 10G-F5 56B-D4 56B-F2
    As soon as you find a product you like they will stop making it.

Do you have satellite TV? Dish and DirecTV offer mild discounts (although it's still EXPEN$IVE!) if you have their TV service. My wife's uncle (he lives in rural NW Arkansas) uses DirecTV's service, and he says he's quite happy with it.

Jacob Newkirk - Owensboro, KY

KEEP AMERICA BEAUTIFUL! Drive a Studebaker!
    Jacob Newkirk - Owensboro, KY

KEEP AMERICA BEAUTIFUL! Drive a Studebaker!

Comment

This may be a silly question but: can you get cellphone service. I know the wireless phone cards in laptops are popular with long haul truckers.
      , ,

Comment

Most of the satellite services run about the same...expensive
        equipment between $300 - $400 to buy, maybe with a $100 mail in
        discount, which Hughes is offering now, and about $60 a month
        for their basic service, which is ok.....plus a open view to
        the southern sky. Bad weather will always be a factor, like it
        is with my microwave relay set up.

glen Brose - Perkinsville, AZ

Comment

You might be able to find a signal if the are homes across that canyon. I know some nerds that piggyback someone wireless feed from miles away. I added a antenna to mine to get to the garage and found ten more wireless connections in range, 4 of them unsecured.

JDP/Maryland
          JDP Maryland

Comment

I agree with the cell phone comment, for $60 you could have a DSL-Lite like connection.

Comment

I'm sitting in a Cave City, Kentucky cornfield using a Sprint Sierra Wireless on my laptop that works very well. Even in this remote area. Also, I can use my Blackberry as a tethered modem in areas where the Sprint will not work. The Sprint card costs me $55 per month unlimited and the Blackberry is unlimited as a data connection.

Mark Anderson
              Member SDC and FMCA
              Keeper of the Studebaker Cruiser Registry
              http://home.alltel.net/anderm

My next Studebaker is in the future, but now getting my hair messed up in a Sebring ragtop!
              Almost as fun as a Studebaker!

Comment

Working...
              X