Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Computer Help Request (re: Outlook Express)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer Help Request (re: Outlook Express)

Need some sage 'puter advice..
    I have one item in my outbox that 'locks up' my system when I try to either 'send mail', or 'delete' the item.
    (MS OE6)
    A hard lock up, too. I can close the program and re-open it, but that is about it.
    Have searched for where the file is held in the outbox but can't find it.
    I just want to kill the thing and move on.
    (BTW, I searched all the SDC forums first, and no... I don't want to switch to Mozilla or Mac)
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Jeff[8D]

Does it happen even if you boot up in Safe Mode? I'm not sure but you might be able to delete it from there.

Comment

You might try calling your ISP and see if they can fix it with you. My service is very good at that sort of thing.

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

Try this (found on web):

Tools | Options | Maintenance | Store folder will reveal the location of your Outlook Express files. Press the Tab key to highlight the folder location, then Ctrl+C. Close OE, then Start | Run | Ctrl+V will put the location in the box - Click OK and you'll see the OE files. Otherwise, write the location down and navigate to it in Windows Explorer.

In Windows XP, 2K & 2K3, the OE user files (DBX and WAB) are by default marked as hidden. To view these files in Explorer, you must enable Show Hidden Files and Folders under Start | Control Panel | Folder Options | View.

With OE closed, find the DBX file for the Outbox.dbx and delete it. A new, empty one will be created automatically when you open OE.

Do not archive mail in default OE folders. They will eventually become corrupted. Create your own user defined folders for storing mail and move your mail to them. Empty Deleted Items folder regularly. Keep user created folders under 100MB, and Default folders as empty as is feasible.

After you are done, follow up by compacting your folders manually while working *offline* and do it often.

Click on Outlook Express at the top of the folder tree so no folders are open. Then: File | Work Offline (or double click Working Online in the Status Bar). File | Folder | Compact all folders. Don't touch anything until the compacting is completed.

In Tools | Options | Maintenance: Uncheck Compact messages in background and leave it unchecked. {N/A if running XP/SP2}.

Mark Anderson
        Member SDC and FMCA
        Keeper of the Studebaker Cruiser Registry
        http://home.alltel.net/anderm

My next Studebaker is in the future, but now getting my hair messed up in a Sebring ragtop!
        Almost as fun as a Studebaker!

Comment

[u]THANK YOU MARK!</u>
          This worked exactly as stated.
          All fixed and happy again!
          Thanks again to all!
          Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by 65cruiser

Try this (found on web):
          &lt;snip&gt;
          Mark Anderson
          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

You're welcome. Actually I cheated and found that on Google.

Mark Anderson
            Member SDC and FMCA

My next Studebaker is in the future, but now getting my hair messed up in a Sebring ragtop!

Comment

Dateline September 2008...
              Thank you again!
              I had a inbound HUGE e-mail that would not go away (even though I tried to delete it)...
              Remembering your trick here caused me to do a search on the SDC forum and I solved it in about two minutes...
              This place really is amazing...if you can remember where it was you were...
              Thanks!
              Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by 65cruiser

Try this (found on web):

Tools | Options | Maintenance | Store folder will reveal the location of your Outlook Express files. Press the Tab key to highlight the folder location, then Ctrl+C. Close OE, then Start | Run | Ctrl+V will put the location in the box - Click OK and you'll see the OE files. Otherwise, write the location down and navigate to it in Windows Explorer.

In Windows XP, 2K & 2K3, the OE user files (DBX and WAB) are by default marked as hidden. To view these files in Explorer, you must enable Show Hidden Files and Folders under Start | Control Panel | Folder Options | View.

With OE closed, find the DBX file for the Outbox.dbx and delete it. A new, empty one will be created automatically when you open OE.

Do not archive mail in default OE folders. They will eventually become corrupted. Create your own user defined folders for storing mail and move your mail to them. Empty Deleted Items folder regularly. Keep user created folders under 100MB, and Default folders as empty as is feasible.

After you are done, follow up by compacting your folders manually while working *offline* and do it often.

Click on Outlook Express at the top of the folder tree so no folders are open. Then: File | Work Offline (or double click Working Online in the Status Bar). File | Folder | Compact all folders. Don't touch anything until the compacting is completed.

In Tools | Options | Maintenance: Uncheck Compact messages in background and leave it unchecked. {N/A if running XP/SP2}.

Mark Anderson
              Member SDC and FMCA

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Working...
              X