This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D'oh!

Well, guys, I FINALLY got the garage cleaned up and cleared out so I could put the F-150 inside and get started on the body work and paint once I recover from my surgery on Monday ...

But, and wouldn't you know it was coming ... Murphy showed his ugly mug around the House of Newkirk this evening.

MY GARAGE IS TOO SHORT FOR MY TRUCK!!! [:0][:0][:0]

Or maybe the truck is too long for the garage ... I guess it's a question of if I see the glass as half-full or half-empty at this point!

Either way, there's NO way I could possibly have room to do any body work inside, let alone paint the silly thing ... I guess I'll have to borrow Mom's portable canopy to shade my work and just do it all outside. Not my idea of a good way to do it, but when life hands you lemons ... well, you know.

The really strange part is that my house was built in late 1978, when there were still a great many cars on the road that were only somewhat smaller than an aircraft carrier; so I wonder WHY this garage is so darn short!

If there is good news in this, it is that there are a good many Studebakers would fit the garage just fine, complete with room to walk around. Maybe I oughta just chuck the Ford and get a Stude! [)]

Jacob Newkirk - Owensboro, KY

KEEP AMERICA BEAUTIFUL! Drive a Studebaker!

quote:Originally posted by jnewkirk77
    If there is good news in this, it is that there are a good many Studebakers would fit the garage just fine, complete with room to walk around. Maybe I oughta just chuck the Ford F-150 and get a Stude! [)]
    Of course Jacob, everyone "needs" a Studebaker Truck! [8D]

<h5>Mark
    '57 Transtar Deluxe
    Vancouver Island
    </h5>
    Mark Hayden
    '66 Commander
    Zone Coordinator
    Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

Well, guys, I FINALLY got the garage cleaned up and cleared out so I could put the F-150 inside and get started on the body work and paint once I recover from my surgery on Monday ...

But, and wouldn't you know it was coming ... Murphy showed his ugly mug around the House of Newkirk this evening.

Or maybe the truck is too long for the garage ... I guess it's a question of if I see the glass as half-full or half-empty at this point!

Either way, there's NO way I could possibly have room to do any body work inside, let alone paint the silly thing ... I guess I'll have to borrow Mom's portable canopy to shade my work and just do it all outside. Not my idea of a good way to do it, but when life hands you lemons ... well, you know.

The really strange part is that my house was built in late 1978, when there were still a great many cars on the road that were only somewhat smaller than an aircraft carrier; so I wonder WHY this garage is so darn short!

If there is good news in this, it is that there are a good many Studebakers would fit the garage just fine, complete with room to walk around. Maybe I oughta just chuck the Ford and get a Stude! [)]

I feel your pain. When I went "shopping" for my project car, the first thing I did was measure my garage. I knew I had a short garage. So everytime I went to look at a car, I took my tape measure with me. Before the seller would start telling me of the virtues of his car, I whipped out the tape and measured the length of the car! My Dart is 6" shorter than the garage. And to think, this was almost considered a "compact" car back in 1969! My Jeep Cherokee is three feet SHORTER than my ol' Dodge! A Studebaker would have fit just fine, but there are few and far between that I have seen around here in the last 10 years.
      Homes in the area with the small one-car garages we call a "Model T garage" because that's the era when the home was built and what they expected in the garage. Even though mine is classified as a "2 1/2 car" (yeah, if they were both Mini Coopers) the previous owner did some custom work along the back wall to accomodate a longer car than the garage permitted, it still is only 19' in length.
      Bob Palma always finds me future projects, but as I tell him, there's only room for one horse in the stall!

Frank Remlinger
      SDC# A004602R
      Frank Remlinger
      Detroit, Michigan
      SDC# A004602R

Comment

quote:
        A Studebaker would have fit just fine, but there are few and far between that I have seen around here in the last 10 years.
        Don't count on it, Frank. I once lived in a duplex rental that had a duplex garage. My neighbor would put his 4 dr 1956 Chevy in his half of the garage and pull down the door with inches to spare. I would put my 1955 President coupe in, close the door part way, and then cover the back end of the car with a canvas flap that I had tacked to the bottom of the door.

Lark Parker
        If at first you don't succeed -- you will get a lot of advice.
        sigpic
        Lark Parker --Just an innocent possum strolling down life's highway.

Comment

Go back and read up on your Greek mythology. There was a giant by the name of Procrustes that had a solution to your problem. &lt;G&gt;

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
          Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Well, I solved the problem ... sort of.

The truck is staying outside, but Ginger and I have been discussing for some time the possibility of widening our one-car-wide driveway, so it looks like that is going to happen fairly soon. That way, we won't have to move one vehicle to get the other out. And, to think, we've lived here four years and never really considered that option!

So, what will be taking up residence in the garage, you ask?

The lawn tractor.

Yeah.

Since I got the tractor last year, it's been a resident of the lean-to that is attached to our storage shed out back. Said lean-to is open on three sides (the fourth side being the wall of the shed, obviously), which means the tractor has been at least partially exposed to the elements for a year now. I've got plenty of room for it here in the garage, and it will be nice to be able to work on it under roof, on a concrete floor (instead of in the grass or on the dirt floor of the lean-to).

Then I can put the kids' bikes and other toys that they use on a regular basis under the lean-to, right where they can get to them easily.

It's not exactly the outcome I was looking for, but hey, a week off of my feet has given me a lot of time to think ... think ... and think some more!

Comment

If you want a small garage, try this combination for size, uk domestic garage, six foot six inches wide at the door, seventeen feet long, and a 28 dictator. Oh and just to spice it up a little, im doing a full resto in there, what are the symptoms of claustrophobia by the way?.

Comment

You win!

Comment

Garage? What garage?

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Comment

Either way, there's NO way I could possibly have room to do any body work inside, let alone paint the silly thing ... I guess I'll have to borrow Mom's portable canopy to shade my work and just do it all outside. Not my idea of a good way to do it, but when life hands you lemons ... well, you know. ...
                    It might not work for you, but some years ago a neightbor of mine in a '70s vintage house bought an old Caddy limosine. He had the same problem- a 22-foot car and a 20-foot garage. In his case the garage adjoined the family room of his house. His solution. He cut a Caddy-nose sized hole in the wall of the family room then built cabinets over the hole to conceal the Caddy. He also cut a hole in the garage ceiling to accommodate an old mechanical gas pump (too tall for his ceiling).

[img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/R-4.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64L.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64P.jpg[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/53K.jpg[/img=right]Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
                    '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
                    '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
                    '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
                    Museum R-4 engine
                    1962 Gravely Model L (Studebaker-Packard serial plate)
                    1972 Gravely Model 430 (Studebaker name plate, Studebaker Onan engine)
                    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

I wish that would work, Paul, but I'd have to relocate the laundry alcove, which is in the kitchen, next to the door that leads out to the garage. Oh, it's certainly possible, but I'd have to get a stackable washer/dryer combo, which my wife hates, and it would definitely make an already-small kitchen nearly impossibly so.

Comment

Working...
                      X