Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'02 Cavalier Check Engine Light never comes on..

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jnewkirk77
    replied
    You know, I got to thinking after BP mentioned he'd never seen a vehicle without a separate bulb for the CEL. My '87 F-150 has the lens for the CEL, but oddly enough -- no bulb at all! And no evidence in the cluster there'd ever BEEN a bulb there. I tried putting a known good bulb in, but it never came on, no matter what I tried. The truck does have an "EMISS" light, but heaven only knows what that's for; probably the same as Chrysler's old "MAINT REQD" light back in the '80s, just an excuse to pay the dealer to reset something.

I'm glad I live in Kentucky, where like Indiana, we don't have that stuff. Metro Louisville and the Indiana counties (Clark and Floyd) surrounding that city had it until a few years ago, but we've managed to avoid it. If they ever did implement it, I all but guarantee my truck would fail. Not because I don't maintain it; I do ... but it's just so old that I can't justify blowing through giant wads of $$$ to meet standards that ought not apply to something that's barely been driven 3,000 miles in the last six and a half months ... and, not to mention ... IT'S OLD!!!

Jacob Newkirk - Owensboro, KY

KEEP AMERICA BEAUTIFUL! Drive a Studebaker!

Leave a comment:

• BobPalma
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by Bill Pressler

..meaning stupid Ohio e-check testing won't pass the car.

This seems insane to me. Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    '63 Lark Daytona Skytop R1
    Here's an idea: Move to Indiana, Bill, where we don't have such silliness!
    (And I agree with Bob Andrews' post: I've never seen a vehicle without a separate CEL bulb.) BP

Leave a comment:

• bams50
    replied
    Bill-

We have that same stupid system in NY, or at least similar. When a car goes in for inspection it is plugged into a computer via the OBD II port. This computer is connected directly to the State's system, and connects the car and the State directly. The tech is prompted by the computer, step by step. One of the steps is, turn key to "on" position... Does the vehicle's Check Engine light illuminate? yes/no. If yes it proceeds; if no, it fails- even if everything else is working perfectly

I've yet to see a car that doesn't have an individual bulb for that light, but I suppose it's possible. Get a second opinion; and if it does need a cluster, get a used one- MUCH cheaper.

I just spent $1500 and 2 WEEKS getting the light off on a 2001 Chrysler Town & Country van. Computer said O2 sensor out of range. Replaced. Light back on in 10 miles, says HO2 (heated). Replaced. Light back on in shop, says catalyst. Removed converter, looks OK, but replaced it. No light for 45 miles, then back on. Computer says O2, not O2, O2. My tech says he believes it's the ECM (engine control module). Buy $800 ECM, take day off from work to take to Chrysler dealer to have it installed and programmed- SOLVED. Spent rest of day from 2:30 PM till after Midnight driving aimlessly with hand-held scan tool on lap, waiting for control monitors to reset (known as drive cycles). Drive a couple hours varying speed, heat on, A/C on, highway, short hops, run up to 60 then coast to complete stop- in drive- without touching the brake. Stop, open hood, let cool for an hour, check monitors and repeat till they're all up. Total miles driven this day- 170. Total during this process, maybe 250.

Now, between each step was anywhere from 1/2 to 3 days. At the outset the car ran and drove perfectly. All throughout the process, the car ran perfectly. Today, after process complete, car runs perfectly. Customer is super-frustrated, finance company is antsy, customer's insurance company is P***ED- and me? I get to sell a car at a huge loss[}][V] And all this nonsense for nothing, thanks to rules without a speck of sense or realism.

Some cars clear the monitors after repair in 2 miles, some in a few hundred. I work long days, and spend many nights driving around getting monitors cleared for inspection, for total nonsense!

So Bill- you are at the mercy of ridiculous policies and system; but you have some chance of minimizing the damage by finding a decent, honest shop with good diagnostic ability; and if you need a cluster, going used.

Good luck, and let us know the outcome.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that parking is a pleasure, traffic is a breeze, turning's no trick at all, and happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Leave a comment:

• jnewkirk77
    replied
    The problem is likely in the computer itself, Bill. My mother-in-law's '97 Cavalier has had a number of stupid problems lately, and it all started when she noticed the gearshift indicator in the dash wasn't working. The dash was fine; it was the computer at fault. Cost her some big $$$. The self-diagnostics part of the OBD-II system has to have a certain number of on-off cycles to go into "ready" mode once it's been reset; I can't remember how many, but maybe a day or so. Give that a try.

Jacob Newkirk - Owensboro, KY

KEEP AMERICA BEAUTIFUL! Drive a Studebaker!

Leave a comment:

• Bill Pressler
    replied
    They do the latter.

Funny, they were also able to tell that it needed an evaporator part, which I then had the Chevy dealer do this morning, but I just went back to e-check and they said the computer codes were cleared when that part was put on and they can't do the testing right now until the car's computer self-diagnostics were done (I was trying to see if it would pass if maybe they didn't notice/remember my being in there earlier today!)

What a bunch of crap. The car runs great.

quote:Originally posted by LarkVIII

Sounds like total BS to me.Does your state do tailpipe/treadmill or plug into the OBD port,if the latter it looks for codes related to emissions parts and you should pass if the OBD codes aren't out of spec.

63VY4 Leakin' Lena Hagerstown MD

Leave a comment:

• LarkVIII
    replied
    Sounds like total BS to me.Does your state do tailpipe/treadmill or plug into the OBD port,if the latter it looks for codes related to emissions parts and you should pass if the OBD codes aren't out of spec.

63VY4 Leakin' Lena Hagerstown MD

Leave a comment:

Guest started a topic '02 Cavalier Check Engine Light never comes on..

'02 Cavalier Check Engine Light never comes on..

..meaning stupid Ohio e-check testing won't pass the car.

Dealer says there's no bulb to replace; the entire cluster (speedo, odo, all other gauges and lights) need replacing...when only the CEL isn't coming on...cost, $410.

This seems insane to me. Any ideas, or confirmation of what the dealer's telling me?

Thanks,
    Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    '63 Lark Daytona Skytop R1
Working...
X